Anyone have Autometer "Old Tyme" gauges? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2010, 10:08 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Anyone have Autometer "Old Tyme" gauges?

I just got a bunch of these in 2 1/16" size (except speedo). I have them all mounted and I'm staring in disbelief as none of the lamps will fit into the holes in the back. What's happening is that a nut for one of the electrical connections interferes with the lamp base. I can kind of cobble it together by removing the nut, inserting the lamp and then tightening down the nut. This is really cheesy though since the nut sits at an angle due to the interference, and I will be cussing up a storm some day when I need to replace the bulb while standing on my head under the dash.

I spent $350 on all these gauges that seem to have a design flaw. Any words of wisdom?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2010, 11:08 AM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Not a fix but have you thought of returnning them, seems to me you have a valid reason ..

I would not accept that, always have liked the SW line myself.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:30 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Yeah, I have one SW gauge and the quality seems higher. I'm kind of irritated with them though because I either lost or never got a panel mount bracket with their gauge and they seem to be unobtainable. I ordered Autometer panel mounts and of course they don't interchange. The SW tech support site is worthless (the E-mail addresses are to third parties, one of them bounced and the other I never heard from). Can't win it seems.

Last night I just snipped off some of the lamp holder and got it to go in without hitting. Kind of lame, but it works and it still seems sturdy. The Autometer support guy wrote back fast, but all he said was that they knew it hit but to just screw it in anyway. I didn't feel like arguing with him.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.