Hot Rod Forum banner

Anyone have experience with Speedway's Tru-Ram headers?

14K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  bentwings 
#1 ·
I recently posted a question about Block Hugger headers asking if anyone has experience with a good quality Block Hugger header that will allow you to change spark plugs on a STRAIGHT PLUG head with a common spark plug wrench. I would still welcome comments on block huggers in regard to overall quality and ease of changing plugs with straight plugs.

Someone suggested Speedway's new Tru-Ram headers.

These headers have a 2 1/2" outlet and Speedway claims they perform as well as block huggers. Does anyone have actual experience with these headers? Has anyone done a dyno comparison? I am always leery of manufacturer's claims and would like to get some first hand comments.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Harley Monster

#2 ·
Depends on what your looking for performance wise. If you are after high RPM performance then the ram horn manifolds will not fill the bill, neither will block huggers as most of those are shorty style which do not perform near as good as full length headers. The friend whom I referred to has the Speedway ram horn manifolds on a 49 Merc he is building. They afford complete and uninhibited access to the plugs with common tools. The quality of these manifolds is superb.

At the common RPM levels street rods operate, the ram horn manifolds or the shorty headers which ever you choose I do not think you would notice any difference between the two. The ram horn manifolds will be less of a headache in the long run though

Vince

#3 ·
Hey Vince, thanks for the thoughtful reply!

This engine is going in my '36 Ford street rod, it is a 383 roller cam motor with a Comp Cams XR276HR cam and Etec 170 heads, the car has a T-10 and 3.50 gears. I am building the engine more for torque than high RPM and plan 6,000 max and I doubt it will ever see that. I am looking for snappy low end performance such as stop light jumping not 1/4 mile performance.

The Tru-Rams are expensive and I don't want to make an expensive mistake.

My machinists would rather see me put headers on it because he likes the louder header sound. I think the Tru-Rams would be nice and fit the nostalgia look I want without the troubles I have had in the past with cracking headers.

I think you may be correct in saying the Tru-Rams will equal block huggers in performance, that is also what Speedway claims.

BTW, did your friend buy the Stainless version? If so, was it the polished set? I would be interested in how the polished SS headers hold up under use.

Harley Monster

#4 ·
He purchased the polished version and they are stunning. I will post a pic of them installed on his engine this weekend. As far as holding up, I would expect them to hold up better than block hugger headers as they are fairly heavy (as heavy as cast iron manifolds). I would not expect them to discolor either. Having seen these I wish I had gone with them instead of the Sanderson block hugger headers on my 34.

Vince

#6 ·
Thanks again Vince, this is very helpful!

I am very interested in knowing if the polished SS discolored. I had a friend put a very expensive set of SS tubular headers on a VERY expensive '34 and though they work OK they have discolored terribly...I know a lot of it is in his tuning, but still they discolored badly.

I would be VERY interested in seeing detailed photos of this installation and hearing about how the polished SS is holding up to use as far as discoloring. Any further info you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

BTW Vince...I have two '33's in storage waiting hot rod restoration, a 5 Window that is chopped and channeled on a stretched frame firewall forward and a Tudor sedan that was a 60's resto-rod....both all steel except for a custom aluminum hood on the stretched 5 window.

Harley Monster

#7 ·
Wildman 32....I know that the tubular SS headers do as you say, but I am not sure the cast SS will tarnish as badly. Have you seen any of the polished SS Tru-Rams after they have had some use?

If the polished SS tarnish as badly as the polished SS tubular headers then I may either go with the cast iron and use Eastman's header paint that heat cures with use and looks like fresh cast stainless.

Or go with the cast SS and don't worry about it.

Any thoughts?

Harley Monster

#10 ·
hi guys im new to the forum,i am thinking of buying thruram manifolds in stainless too.my concerns are about how tight these headers fit to the block,do they allow enough room to hookup a fat man ifs settup.if any one has photos of these headers fitted i would appreciate a picture or two of the drivers side especially .im building a chevy pu rod 1938 documented on(www.hotrod.ie) . have a look your comments welcome,herriot ireland

#12 ·
haha that funny.

I have Jet Hot coated shorty headers and really like them.
I cut the 2 1/2 in collectors off and added 3 in collectors. I had to do a bit of reshaping and pounding and some cussing but they are done and look nice. I ran them on the blown motor last year and completely toasted the original paint right off them.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.