Anyone have a Milwaukee dry cut saw for steel ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2010, 08:45 PM
... & Insanity Ensues .....

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Anyone have a Milwaukee dry cut saw for steel ?

My buddy wants to pick one of these up for the turbo build we're doing on his camaro, but im not sold on the idea of using a 1500 rpm chop saw on thin stainless tubing

I dont trust the blade to not catch on the material
I dont trust the cheap clamp to hold onto the tubing if it does catch
I dont think $500 for the saw+ 1 blade and $180 for replacement blades is a reasonable price

his reasoning is its not as loud as an abrasive chop saw, wont create dust thats hard to clean up, and wont shoot sparks everyplace

My reasoning is its freakin expensive as heck, and i dont want to be using it and have a blade explode in my face

Discuss.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2010, 09:19 PM
More for Less Racer

Wiki Edits: 0

Should cut it fine, but stainless with dull the blade FAST, and sounds like replacement blade is pricey.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:44 PM

Last photo:

Anyone have a Milwaukee dry cut saw for steel ?

as a pipe fitter , we use the band saw hand held type .
never use something that touched steel first .
we cut up to 6 inch pipe with them saws after we cut some the catch guard off .mostly in dairies and even the dog food plants .
made lots of belt buckles too .
Old 03-06-2010, 10:51 PM
done learning, done living

Last photo:

we have both Milwaukee and dewalt portable band saws at work. I like the dewalt or the Milwaukee but we cut everything thing with them. I am in the millwright business working at different flour and feed mills. We have cut 20 inch diameter rolled steel with these things and the beat the hell out of a sawzall. On our chop saws which we barely use we just use the abrasive wheels. Here are some links to look at.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...nd+saw&x=0&y=0

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...+plugs&x=0&y=0
Old 03-06-2010, 11:44 PM

well thats another thing, with blades being $180 theres little chance of having 1 steel blade, 1 aluminium blade and 1 stainless blade. That would be $900 worth of chop saw

doing the same with an abrasive chop saw would be WELL under $300

doing it with a portable band saw would be about $300 depending on the model we got

i like the abrasive chop saw because no matter how much you have to take off a tube, it will do it, and will do it perfectly straight too
Old 03-07-2010, 12:18 AM

just talked to him, he wont budge

basicly said we will just do the steel first, then the stainless, then the aluminium, and that should be fine.

and that:

Quote:
i think the best we can do there is just wipe everything down before we weld it or hit it with the grinder quick. its not like we have a clean room to weld or cut in anyway. the pipes are going to be laying on teh floor rolling around in whatever is on the floor
Old 03-07-2010, 07:07 AM

Last wiki edit: How to find an electrical drain Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I put a couple of air purifiers in my 30 x 50 shop and boy what a difference they make. The filters turn from white to brown in a couple of weeks without heavy fab work going on and the fans on low. I'm curious how well the things will work with some heavy duty welding and grinding going on.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:11 AM

Last photo:

Ayuh,... I've got a Porter-Cable dry-cut saw,... I Stole it cheap on ebay, Brand New...
It's my 2nd 1,.. The 1st worked Great til I over-crowded it cuttin' up a tire... It was also Very Well Used when I got it..

I'll Never. Ever use an abrasive blade cutter again...
Old 03-07-2010, 08:23 AM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondo

I'll Never. Ever use an abrasive blade cutter again...
You are 100% right.. The metal cutting saw is very much worth the $$$.. The abrasive cutter doesn't even come close.. But don't ''EVER'' put the cutting blade on the abrasive cutter.. The metal cutting machine turn's slower.. And for the price of the blade.. I think the last time I checked they was about $100.00 here.. Not sure if it would be the same for your machine.. This one is for a dewalt metal cutter..
Old 03-16-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS
You are 100% right.. The metal cutting saw is very much worth the $$$.. The abrasive cutter doesn't even come close.. But don't ''EVER'' put the cutting blade on the abrasive cutter.. The metal cutting machine turn's slower.. And for the price of the blade.. I think the last time I checked they was about $100.00 here.. Not sure if it would be the same for your machine.. This one is for a dewalt metal cutter..
Yes, having the right equipment makes a HUGE difference. I remember when I was a kid the first time I saw a metal saw cut through metal being amazed. Well... On the other end of the scale, here are some commercial metal working equipment. Looking through the site:
http://buyindustrialmachines.com/Man...king-Equipment
I'd say most of this is designed for a factory. It'll make our little metal saws look like child toys.

Marquita Jensen
Omaha, Ne
Old 03-16-2010, 09:16 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

I Have the DeWalt version and LOVE it! It cuts cleanly, leaves a very small burr (if at all), and cuts fast-as far as Blades (they are 14"), I've looked around and found them for under $100 (look at your local Metal Supplier)-I've also heard you can have the blades re-sharpened relatively cheaply. In addition to a hold-down, it comes with a sort of Vise grip type of clamp, which I learned you had better use on smaller stuff, but overall, I think you will like it-

here it is:

http://www.dewalt.com/tools/metalwor...aws-dw872.aspx

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.