Anyone here running pure E-85? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2008, 03:16 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Anyone here running pure E-85?

Is anyone here running pure E-85? If so what did you to for the full conversion, etc.? Bigger jets in the carb? also, how will it fare on a vehicle made in the late 70's.. in other words what seals, gaskets, fuel lines need to be changed?
Was thinking about converting my truck to run on alkyhaul...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2008, 06:58 PM

:)

i've got a holley 600 vac. secondary carb.. any suggestions?
Old 09-14-2008, 10:12 PM

Last photo:

e85 is usually a mixture of around 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline. You would need a larger fuel system to handle the flow of additional fuel, and all the orifices in the carb need to be enlarged (jets, idle air bleeds, idle feed restrictors, power valve channel restrictors, etc) along with new metering blocks for the larger well passages.

Everyone says the fuel system needs to be altered because its corrosive, but there are plenty of people running it on their stock fuel systems for years with no problems.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:20 PM

I believe some people get ethanol and methanol mixed up.. the latter being the most corrosive...
Old 09-15-2008, 12:13 AM
America-Home of the $700B Bail

Last photo:

E85 is pretty corrosive, too. Was going to set my 1991 Pontiac Grand Prix up for E85, turned out to be pretty costly and ended up quitting, and now it's in a pretty poor state ( I loved that car ) Replaced the injectors once, somehow managed to mess up three ignition coils (???) and clogged up the EGR valve. Somehow all the parts associated with this car are more expensive than the parts of other cars I've had...

I was told it pretty much acted as a solvent in my fuel system but got plugged up in the injectors. Though this came from a mechanic who's lost any trust I had. I won't mention what else he said needed to be replaced nor how much he was going to charge me to do it.

I believe e85 can have negative effects on magnesium and aluminum, maybe a few others I can't think of right now. Supposedly it being biodegradable in water causes it to retain more water, which would make rust from water more of a concern that corrosion due to the ethanol. Not sure, I'm just learning about all this stuff myself.

What darkostoj said about enlarging is right, I had a chart somewhere that had a list of suggested jets and other things for changing to e85. If I find it I'll let you know...

If your planning on making your own alcohol you have to start at with 100%, and mix that with the fuel. Buying 95% alcohol will still have 5% water (that, and the cost would gouge your wallet) Saw an article about someone who was selling stills to make fuel with, I believe they ran about $10,000 but the cost to produce a gallon of fuel was below a dollar I think. Of course there was some catch about some poisonive additive to make it legal, no drinking this stuff.

Hope some of this helps, and hope if I'm wrong about something someone will correct me.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:12 AM

Last photo:

i did forget to mention that it would clean all the gunk out of your fuel system and run it through your motor if you have an older tank/lines/etc.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:45 AM

e85

Here's the best E85 thread I have ran across on the net so far.... Its on the Volvo msg board Turbobricks.com. Very good read! Has alot of information on converting fuel injection especially!!

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=73061

Old 09-15-2008, 11:53 AM

coil packs

Alaskan: what you said about your GP's coil packs threw up a red flag for me.. After running 50/50 e85/gas in my volvo for a few tanks I have a coil pack that is starting to cut out sometimes now.. (maybe the ecu is trying to throw too much spark to the coil packs? or too much dwell? or it could be coincidence but....) seems weird anyway.... anyone else have any experiences with the white lightning?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.