Anyone into Boxing? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2008, 12:47 PM
I just wanna go fast.

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Anyone into Boxing?

Heya.

I am a coach for the Yakima Eagles Boxing Club and I was wondering if anyone else on the forums was still into the "Sweet Science"?

This is a you tube link to some workout training by my 8 year old. Check it out and tell me what you think? He is 46" tall now, and weighs 49 lbs, training weight. Could probably fight at 45 if he had to.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=NiteLife76

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2008, 01:00 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,149 Posts
I boxed for 9 years thru my teens. My dad was the coach for years in the Boys club and could REALLY teach the art. He made these boys into "amature" boxers not "kids" boxing. When we had an event we usually made the other club look pretty stupid. I am not kidding you, he was really something as a coach.

Your little guy looks awsome. The only thing I could say is get him to put more even weight between both feet, he is leaning forward and putting more weight on the front foot. I hate those bags with the big base, they really screw with your foot work. You need a hanging bag.

Brian
Old 01-11-2008, 04:07 PM
I just wanna go fast.

Last photo:

Hi there!

Appreciate the comments. A good boxer can make a million dollars, but a good coach can make a million boxers....

We have 6 hanging bags in the gym, but only a couple are low enough for him and they are pretty hard at the bottom. He tends to tear his little knuckles up a bit already so I am working on him. His feet are a million times better than they were, but they still need a lot of work. Now that we have speed, power and accuracy in the hands we are going to start working the feet. =)
Old 01-11-2008, 05:11 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Life
Hi there!

Appreciate the comments. A good boxer can make a million dollars, but a good coach can make a million boxers....

We have 6 hanging bags in the gym, but only a couple are low enough for him and they are pretty hard at the bottom. He tends to tear his little knuckles up a bit already so I am working on him. His feet are a million times better than they were, but they still need a lot of work. Now that we have speed, power and accuracy in the hands we are going to start working the feet. =)
On the foot work....you build a house from the foundation up, you should build a boxer the same way. That is my dad talking.....

Are you wrapping his hands?

Brian
Old 01-11-2008, 05:25 PM
I just wanna go fast.

Last photo:

I always build punches first, but only to give confidence. Ther eis no wrong way to go about this if you have the fundamentals right. But if you don't have their mind and heart, you have nothing.

I have been wrapping them lately, didn't used to. His punches are getting a lot harder, and he was always forgetting his wraps so I kept having to cut pairs in half...

=)
Old 01-11-2008, 06:23 PM
SB S10

Last photo:

Quote:
Heya.

I am a coach for the Yakima Eagles Boxing Club and I was wondering if anyone else on the forums was still into the "Sweet Science"?

This is a you tube link to some workout training by my 8 year old. Check it out and tell me what you think? He is 46" tall now, and weighs 49 lbs, training weight. Could probably fight at 45 if he had to.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=NiteLife76
thats quite a buzzsaw you got there
Old 01-11-2008, 06:24 PM
Viva la Migra!!

Last photo:

My Dad was a boxer . Back in the 50's and early 60's . Kid Cobra . His name is Jose Flores , and he knocked many a man out in the first round , some with the first hit ! . He taught me a lot about the sport , first and foremost : don't use my skills for anything unnecessary.( only fight if confronted - never be the aggressor )
Oh , and how to knock a guy out with one well placed shot. It's almost a dance move , but boy does it work !
If you want to toughen your sons hands up a bit ,get some good clean sand in a 5 gallon bucket and have him punch it . A little at first , a bit more each time he works on it. After a short time , his hands will be a lot harder than they are now. My pops had me do this when I was young , and it hasn't affected my hands at all. I am a musician , but my hands are hard as hammers. I graduated to punching gravel in my teens , but leather gloves become a must at that point.
Best of luck to you both. Even if he doesn't become the champ , the time you spend together is worth all the belts in the world !
Old 01-11-2008, 06:30 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I am a former Tarnished Gloves title holder. I once beat an 78 year old woman into complete submission. It was the highlight of my career.

Actually, I love boxing, and have been an avid fan for years. However, I believe the sport has fallen to an all time low due to a poor infrastructure and pay per view ruination.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:09 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I always build punches first, but only to give confidence. Ther eis no wrong way to go about this if you have the fundamentals right. But if you don't have their mind and heart, you have nothing.

I have been wrapping them lately, didn't used to. His punches are getting a lot harder, and he was always forgetting his wraps so I kept having to cut pairs in half...

=)
Yeah, with small hands, just cut the raps in half, full length they are way too long. On the hanging bags being too hard at the bottom, hang them lower! If you set it up so you have a chain with a little extra length and just drop it down or raise it up depending on the kid using it. You can also simply beat the darn thing with a broom stick on the bottom to loosen it up. OR, pull the bag off the chain once in a while and bag it on the ground upside down to break everthing loose.

Do you have him jumping rope? That is a GREAT builder of footwork. Again, you have to make mods for the little guys. A quality rope is going to have ball bearings and internal C clips holding them in. You remove those C clips and remove the bearing and rope from the handle. Then shorten the rope to where it works for him.

I am going to drop a name from the past. Jerry Quarry(click here) , a heavy weight contender from the early seventies. His brother Mike Quarry (click here) taught me how to jump rope at an old gym in Oakland Ca called "Babes Gym" in the Fruitvale district.

Brian

Last edited by MARTINSR; 01-11-2008 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Adding link
Old 01-12-2008, 02:27 AM

Last journal entry: Bad Rats anglia Build Journal plus bike and other photos
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

My best bud was a boxing coach for the garden home club here in Beaverton Oregon,, maybe you know him,,, Bill Mertz,, he was the U.S. Olympic Boxing coach for many years, he has since retired from coaching,, but still promotes fights

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.