Hot Rod Forum banner

Anyone know of this book

747 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Dave57210 
#1 ·
Back in 1969 or so I read a paper back book about a kid in high school that street raced a car called the bronze coupe. It may have been the same or a different book where a new kid in school shows up with a black 57 belair F.I. and street races it. I know it's a looooong shot but does anyone remember or know the name of this book or books, thanks.

#3 · (Edited)
Wow, :eek: Dave57210, read that EXACT same book around 1978 from my Middle School library, don't recall the title but the plot description matches perfectly.

Kid is picked on by fast kid in school named Link, told his coupe will never by anything, works on it despite the critics to his vision, completes a fabulous coupe and paints it a pearl pink, gets the girl, tough guy still puts him down and says car that looks that good must be slow, on the maiden speed run with the car club coming back from a nearby town Kid is so far out in front the others can't even see them, coming up to final turn and over the bridge run into town-- tie rod breaks , girl and Kid go off into river upside down, rest of crowd roars over the bridge and never sees them in the river because he was so far ahead. :nono: End of story, typical 50's(?) hot rod danger type book.

I've often thought about the book, but don't have a clue to the title, but it wouldn't surprise me to find it has a different title every time it was reprinted or re-bound as were most youth-oriented fiction in those days

EDIT: Just checked Amazon, "Boy Gets Car"(also titled "Road Rocket") Author Henry Gregor Felsen. Authors name rang the bell for me, Dave and I read the same book under different titles. It was re-published numerous times, Originally in 1960. Not the book being sought by the OP, but for Dave and I.....Memories of a distant youth :mwink:

#4 ·
Book

I just now googled it - it was initially published as "Boy Gets Car" (by Henry Gregor Felsen), and was then re-released as "Road Rocket" - I also read it from the school library of my "middle school" - in that jurisdiction, that was called "Junior High School" (Grades 7 thru 9)

He wrote several others teenage hotrodder books, including "Hot Rod", "Street Rod" and "Crash Club" - I remember reading "Crash Club" as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.