Anyone know how to remove pinstripes? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2009, 10:17 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Anyone know how to remove pinstripes?

I have a 39 pontiac with base coat clear coat paint. About 5 years ago I had a guy pinstripe it using one shot enamel. I'd like to remove them now, without destroying the paint underneath. I had a pinstriper tell me to use easy off oven cleaner, but that sounds a bit harsh, anybody got any suggestions?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2009, 10:53 AM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

The oven cleaner will work . As long as it dont have clear shot over it. I have used it on a truck i had it didnt hurt anything on mine. Its not good on anything plastic . Im sure there is a better way im like you oven cleaner does sound alittle harsh but it does work. http://www.poffworld.com/Pinstripe.html . Cole

Last edited by eloc431962; 05-09-2009 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:13 AM

Last photo:

I have also seen people wet sand with real fine sandpaper then buff it back to shine. Cole
Old 05-09-2009, 12:38 PM
build it like you like them

Last journal entry: buggmann stilling looking
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

buggmann

hey what about the wheels they use
to take off the glue off when you take
off emblems off cars my dad used one
when her took the emblems off has ford truck
they worked good and did not mess the paint at all
and it worked well
Old 05-09-2009, 01:38 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
I couldn't imagine in a million friggin years spraying oven cleaner on your car! I know, I know, I have never tried it, but you know I am going to now! I'll do a little test on something from the metal bin, but I'd be damn if I would spray it on my street rod.

The eraser wheel won't work, that is a whole different story and it would do NOTHING.

The first thing I would do is try in an inconspicuous place a "solvent rub" test with a rag and lacquer thinner. This is a standard test for 2K products. If it softens the product being it primer, SS paint or clear that you are testing, then it isn't a real "2K" or it wasn't catalyzed properly.

In your case, if the clear is a urethane clear basecoat clear coat paint job that test should do nothing what so ever to the clear. If this is the case and the stripe is regular old "One Shot" as most stripers use, it ISN'T a "2K" and is not "cured" but merely dried. It will come off with the lacquer thinner on a rag.

Sanding it off is dangerous because it is so easy to sand the surrounding clear AS MUCH as the stripe. In other words you sand thru the clear BEFORE you sand the stripe off!!!

This can be done of course by using a block and being careful to ONLY sand the stripe. But the learning curve is pretty painful.

Also, there is a good chance that when you remove that stripe, you will be able to see where it was! Even though that clear may be a 2K you are asking a lot to run a stripe full of solvent over it without it biting in a little.

I have seen many times where when the stripe is carefully removed you can still see a "ghost" stripe there.

Brian

Last edited by MARTINSR; 05-09-2009 at 01:57 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:54 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
I couldn't imagine in a million friggin years spraying oven cleaner on your car! I know, I know, I have never tried it, but you know I am going to now! I'll do a little test on something from the metal bin, but I'd be damn if I would spray it on my street rod.

The eraser wheel won't work, that is a whole different story and it would do NOTHING.

The first thing I would do is try in an inconspicuous place a "solvent rub" test with a rag and lacquer thinner. This is a standard test for 2K products. If it softens the product being it primer, SS paint or clear that you are testing, then it isn't a real "2K" or it wasn't catalyzed properly.

In your case, if the clear is a urethane clear basecoat clear coat paint job that test should do nothing what so ever to the clear. If this is the case and the stripe is regular old "One Shot" as most stripers use, it ISN'T a "2K" and is not "cured" but merely dried. It will come off with the lacquer thinner on a rag.

Sanding it off is dangerous because it is so easy to sand the surrounding clear AS MUCH as the stripe. In other words you sand thru the clear BEFORE you sand the stripe off!!!

This can be done of course by using a block and being careful to ONLY sand the stripe. But the learning curve is pretty painful.

Also, there is a good chance that when you remove that stripe, you will be able to see where it was! Even though that clear may be a 2K you are asking a lot to run a stripe full of solvent over it without it biting in a little.

I have seen many times where when the stripe is carefully removed you can still see a "ghost" stripe there.

Brian
Brian is right. I wouldnt spray it on my streetrod either but i did use it on a 97 ford i had that had painted pin strips all over it and it did remove it didnt hurt the paint seems like there was a little haze though and there was the dreaded GHOST STRIPE. It was still there. I have heard 3M has something to remove pinstriping with but i have never used it.myself i would leave it or repaint it. If it has clear over it no spray is gonna work anyway. Cole
Old 05-09-2009, 05:33 PM

Last photo:

There's no clear over the stripes. I tried removing them from the headlights using 1500 grit emery, but it did screw up the clear coat. I tried soaking them and rubbing them with lacquer thinner, but it didn't take them off either, just made them dull. I may still resort to the oven cleaner, I just know how these things go, you start out trying to remove a stripe and end up repainting the whole car!
Old 05-09-2009, 07:22 PM

Last photo:

If you do resort to oven cleaner apply it with a cuetip just on the pinstriping. And let it soak for a while then wipe it off. Thats how i did. Whatever you do dont just spray it on.. Cole
Old 05-09-2009, 07:43 PM

Last photo:

Thanks, good advice, the Q-tip sounds like the way to go.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:09 PM
point on positive

Last photo:

+1 on Easy Off , (with the blue cap) It may leave a ghost so be advised...
Old 05-09-2009, 09:45 PM

Last photo:

thanks guys.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.