Anyone know if GM 088 BBC heads with 2.25" intake valves will have clearance issues? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2010, 06:29 AM
BOOMER SOONER

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Anyone know if GM 088 BBC heads with 2.25" intake valves will have clearance issues?

I have a GEN V 454 block and GM 088 502 heads with 2.25" intake valves. I was wondering if I will have any clearance issues with the block and the intake valves? I have heard a couple of rumers of needing the cyl. wall at the deck clearanced for this. True, or false? Also, I am ordering a two piece rear main conversion kit for this block. Anyone used these and do they work? My budget BBC is about to get under way with these parts I have setting around my shop. TRW L2300 .030 427 pistons, 427 crank, new stock rods with ARP bolts. Anyone done this to a late model block? Thanks
Shawn

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2010, 07:39 AM

Last photo:

Valves will clear. I usually relieve the top of the cylinder down about 1/8", out to the gasket ala early L-88 or four bolt engines.. Mostly to unshroud valve at lift..

I have used the round crank adapters. Stagger the seal ends and use high temp sealer on the part line and OD. I had one that was O-ringed on the OD. Was a pain to install, but sealed great.

Most of the engines I build on this block are 4.250 stroke. You should have no problems with the shorter stroke.

Use the correct oil filter adapter or nipple and don't forget the check valve up in the block above the filter nipple. Looks like an old 2.5 check valve but is BBC specific. Have only found the nipple and check valve at GM dealers..
Old 10-07-2010, 08:07 AM
BOOMER SOONER

Last photo:

Hey, thanks Bobcrman! It's been awhile since I've posted on this subject. I just got the car back from paint a few weeks ago. It had been at the shop for almost a year. I had kicked the idea if doing the 454, a 496, and the 427. Budget has gotten a bit tighter and I have that set of almost new l2300 pistons setting there on the rods and the 427 crank freshly turned .010/.010 in the bag. Why not use em'? Besides, I also have the flywheel, and all clutch set up to run the Muncie 21. With the 088's being 118 cc, I found I should have around 8.8:1 compression. A tad low, but streetable. Should still make good power I would think. I do have to buy one piston because there is one that is broken from a broke valve. Do you think it will matter if the new piston will come with the coating on the skirt? The new speed pro part number is l2300 f. Unless I could find someone with a old trw l2300 .030? Thanks again!
Shawn
Old 10-07-2010, 08:33 AM

Last photo:

Good luck on the piston. I've had several problems of late with Fed-Mog and the old TRW/Speed Pro type pistons..

Not only is the number changed but the piston is made differently and the weight is way off. Many of the numbers are no longer available. When Fed-Mogul moved production to India/Pakistan many of the older designs were discarded..

I have found that Summit has the largest inventory of BBC old style pistons. They must have bought all of Fed-Mog's old inventory when they abandoned US production..
Old 10-07-2010, 11:41 AM
BOOMER SOONER

Last photo:

Summitracing carries the piston I need. It's listed as L2300F 30 I believe. It looks the exact same except fr the coated skirt. You think I'll be ok with that?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.