Anyone know washing machines? - Page 5 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 10:45 AM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Yes, Brian, buy the Ridgid brand plumbing snake. The red Power Spin one that you have pictured.
Under the removable manual handle, you will find a 5/16" (?) shaft that you can use with a cordless drill. You won't believe how much easier the snake is to use.

The one I bought a couple of years ago was a 50-footer, and it also has an "anti-kink" nylon core. It cost me about $65.00 at Home Depot, but it's worth every penny ... plumber service calls are expensive!

Advertisement

Last edited by 66GMC; 11-11-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 11:20 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,029 Posts
THIS is the one I actually got, no provision for the drill.

KWIK-SPINŽ - RIDGID Professional Tools

This one has a nylon core too, I didn't see a 50 footer or I would have probably bought it,darn it. But honestly you need a 3/8 line at the least for these larger waste pipes. The smaller one will work fine down the shower (think I'll do that next week just the heck of it). This is a super nice tool, I am happy I got it.

Brian
Old 11-11-2012, 11:35 AM

Last photo:

You might be right Brian, perhaps mine is only a 25'.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:27 PM

Last photo:

Well, I fixed my clean out that broke in half yesterday and this led to (of course) more clogged pipes under the kitchen sink and thru the clean out and sink I was able to do some serious cleaning all I could do with what I have. After all this the kitchen sink drains GREAT, like never before, the F-ING washer is STILL backing up!

Next weekend, I guess I will be renting a big boy and get up on the roof going down the vent. This is crazy. Everything else runs good, the kitchen sink runs into the same line right at the same point as the washer and it has no problem.

GRRRRRRRRR I don't have these problems when I do body and paint work!

Brian
Old 11-11-2012, 09:15 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
After all this the kitchen sink drains GREAT, like never before, the F-ING washer is STILL backing up!

Next weekend, I guess I will be renting a big boy and get up on the roof going down the vent. This is crazy. Everything else runs good, the kitchen sink runs into the same line right at the same point as the washer and it has no problem.
Holy Plumbing Nightmare Batman!
According to what you've said, if I've got it right, you've snaked this line from both directions from this common main drain pipe and have removed any obstructions?

If so, the only pipe left is the vent pipe, correct? It's not *likely* to be obstructed, but if it's less than 25 ft long ... perhaps you could try snaking it as well. perhaps a bird has made a nest in it? LOL

If it proves to be clear as well, perhaps one of those stepped boots like the one my so-called plumber installed just might be worth a try?

Mine looks similar to the one on the upper right.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:46 PM

Last photo:

I didn't get up on the roof and go down but I am going to this next weekend with a larger snake. This is really ticking me off.

Brian
Old 11-11-2012, 09:57 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: mopar hump back
Last photo:

Brian: does the sink and washer run to one, And does the toilet and tub run to a second septic? Does the sink gurgle when the washer drains or the washer trap gurgle when the sink is emptied? If you answer no to all of these don't worry about why I asked LOL

Jester
Old 11-11-2012, 10:57 PM

Last photo:

This isn't a septic, it's a city sewer.

This is the washer drain. The vertical pipe goes straight up in the wall to the wash room where it exits out a foot from the floor to an trap then up a vertical tube to near the top of the washer where the hose from the washer goes in to it. The pipe goes up thru the wall past that point up out of the roof for the vent. The arrow to the right is the clean out, so the pipe ends right there.

This isn't mine but it is basically the same. The black vertical pipe you see to the left is in my wall, but all the white PVC you see is outside the wall in my wash room. The trap and vertical pipe is 1.5 inch chrome tube like you see in bathrooms and wash rooms. It is made for this as I bought it right in the hardware store where all the washer and sink parts are. Mine is about 30" tall ending up around the height of the washer. At that point the hose goes in from the washer.

This is mine as it meets the vert pipe in the wall.

The pipe travels about 15 feet with a pretty decent drop, don't know the terminology but it drops about 10 inches, maybe a foot from where the clean out is in the previous photo to where it hits the main waste line in this photo. The red line is the washer drain, the blue line is the kitchen sink drain and the gray line is the main waste line coming from the back of the house where the toilet (yes just one), the shower and the bathroom sink drain.

The sink drains perfect, the toilet and all drains well, how in the living hell could the washer be any different than it was a month go or the previous 10 years?

The only thing I can think of would be the vent being blocked at the top, or the washer has somehow changed and its lint busterupper is somehow being bypassed or something and the water volume has increased somehow.

I am not kidding you, I ran that snake thru the hole in the wall up the vent, then down the pipe past the clean out. I ran it from the clean out over into the main waste line. I pulled it out and measured it to be sure it made it well into the waste line. It was filthy with sewer waste so I know it made it in there. I ran that water hose inflatable thingie in there as well (let's not talk about anymore) I can see inside of the long pipe that goes from the clean out under the washer to the main waste line and it looks darn good inside.

When I busted that cleanout off outside the house I cleaned it all out running the water hose inflatable thingie in there too. AND ran it into the house going into the wall pipe and it's all clear now (ran the snake thru both of those as well, from the sink down and from the outside trap down into the main waste line).

The sink line was SERIOUSLY clogged and it works like a champ now, that clean out that stuck out of the wall of the house should have been tended to long ago. It will now that's for sure!

Anyway, I have literally ran that snake thru everything from that washer to the main line, I can't believe that there could be a blockage past the sink in and washer where they meet the main line, if this were the case I would be getting sewage up the sink or washer and that isn't happening.

I REALLY don't want to hire someone to come and do this for me, I really don't.

Brian
Old 11-11-2012, 10:59 PM

Last photo:

I hope by the time you see it the lines I put are there. Photo bucket is weird in that I will edit something and it doesn't show up for a while after doing so.

Brian
Old 11-11-2012, 11:13 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: mopar hump back
Last photo:

I saw all The lines and pics are good! You've done everything right I see nothing you have missed !

Chris
Old 11-11-2012, 11:15 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted jester View Post
I saw all The lines and pics are good! You've done everything right I see nothing you have missed !

Chris
That's what is so frustrating!

Next weekend I will snake the vent with a "pro" snake. After that I will be looking at the washer. Joy of joys. At least SOMETHING is improved, the kitchen sink.

Brian
Old 11-11-2012, 11:15 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,349 Times in 1,093 Posts
I am not smart enough to give you advice but I would be willing to bet when you find the problem it will be something amazingly simple. Good luck.

John L
Old 11-11-2012, 11:20 PM

Last photo:

That I can believe!

Brian
Old 11-12-2012, 07:44 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Brian just look at it this way, your getting a free education and some OJT in plumbing. You might find that you enjoy it and it might lead to a second career!

I'm sure that you have eliminated the washer by putting the drain in a bucket and running it through a drain cycle. If not you might want to.
The last time I had a drain problem a squirrel had headed down the vent pipe and got stuck. Ick!

If you remember my first thought was C4. It still sounds good to me.
BB
Old 11-12-2012, 08:03 AM

Last photo:

What would running the drain into a bucket do? It will fill up the bucket, I know that, what am I missing? I am so friggin tired this morning after working on it over the whole darn weekend I don't think I am going to touch it until next weekend but I may get up there before then and check out the vent.

Brian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.