Anyone in NJ pass inspection with a rollcage installed? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2008, 07:00 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Anyone in NJ pass inspection with a rollcage installed?

My buddy and I are thinking of adding a cage to our cars (he has an 86 Cutlass, mine is an 87 Monte SS). We both have had collectors insurance for the past few years and are allowed by NJ 3000 miles per year. Of course my project has been sitting in the garage, so I have added maybe 30 miles in the past 2 years

Since the inspection station only checks the odometer, would they fail us if we had a cage in the car? If so I guess I will get in road ready and have it inspected, then install cage and enjoy it for 2 years.

If I would have known about the whole collectors insurance/QQ plates I would have looked for an older car to eliminate this headache.

Greg

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2008, 06:46 PM

Last journal entry: An update
Last photo:

Why ask here?,telephone the relevent authority,such as your local transport inspection department, and ask them. Here,where I live ,cages are illegal on street cars of any description.
You can't tell a politician that surely a race approved roll cage has to be safe in road driven vehicle when they think up laws to get their own name in the history books
Old 06-18-2008, 09:59 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercmad63
Why ask here?,telephone the relevent authority,such as your local transport inspection department, and ask them. Here,where I live ,cages are illegal on street cars of any description.
You can't tell a politician that surely a race approved roll cage has to be safe in road driven vehicle when they think up laws to get their own name in the history books
Wow, and here I thought that idiot politicians were primarily a U.S. problem...
Old 06-20-2008, 01:33 PM
It'll go, or it'll blow...

Last photo:

Greg,

I can't answer you email directly, but I think I can help. This link has NJ motor vehicle code 13:20-32
http://www.epa.gov/region02/air/sip/13_20-Sub32.pdf
It covers things like maximum hood scoop height (can not obstruct more than 3" high on windshield), bumper heights, etc... Unless a cage is a visual obstruction, I can't see where it would fail, but I am not a lawyer or state inspection worker (thank God )

As an anecdote, I have a roll bar in my Nova (which has had QQ plates for 10 years. I forget if it had a roll bar before the QQ plates. Anyway I digress...) I was pulled over in a Soviet- style "document checkpoint" a few years back by a joint task force made up of local PD, state DOT, and state DMV workers. You know the type, where they go on a ticket blitz giving out tickets to all of the soccer moms who are missing paperwork. Anyway, I did NOT get hassled for the rollbar at all or 5-point seat belts (which are not DOT legal.) I got questioned if I had nitrous, and got a ticket for loud pipes- which I did not appeal as they were LOUD.

At a minimum you should review the motor vehicle code. You could print it out when going to inspection. You might want to go to Atco, Englishtown, or Island on a Friday night street night or a big car hot rod show, and ask some of the drivers this question. I have seen a bunch of late model cars with plates, inspection, and roll bars- without the QQ loop hole. Don't know if this helps or not.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:13 PM

Last photo:

Thanks guys.

John, thanks for the link. I will make sure I read through it. I like the idea of the attending the strip or car shows, I am sure others have ran into this issue.

I hear you on the checkpoint issue. These guys have nothing else better to do sometimes. In the town I work you will often see a cop standing on the double yellow line stopping people, just to make sure you have your seatbelt on. Cause all kind of traffic, but *** do they care, more $$$ for the township.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.