Anyone ran the Performer RPM cam - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2005, 12:58 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Anyone ran the Performer RPM cam

Hey i guys im looking into getting a performer rpm cam and wanted to know any likes or dislikes. My motor is a factory roller motor 87+ and was looking to use part #2204 which the specs are 234int/238ext at .050 and .539int and .548ext 112* lobe sep and 107* int centerline. My car is carbed and was wondering if this cam is going to be lopey?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2005, 06:12 AM
Time is short, are you ready?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by f355bird
Hey i guys im looking into getting a performer rpm cam and wanted to know any likes or dislikes. My motor is a factory roller motor 87+ and was looking to use part #2204 which the specs are 234int/238ext at .050 and .539int and .548ext 112* lobe sep and 107* int centerline. My car is carbed and was wondering if this cam is going to be lopey?
Yes it will be lopey, but it is awesome. I ran the flat tappet Performer RPM cam in a 355 with their RPM heads and a Pro-Flo fuel injection and loved it. Now I have their Performer RPM hyd roller cam in my 385 with AFR 195 heads and Pro-Flo fuel injection and it is even better, as it should be. My engine description can be seen here.

Bottom line, I love that cam and would highly recommend it; if your engine combination and car setup (ex. converter) warrant that big of a cam. Also, I did not check your stated part number, but be sure it is not a retro-fit cam, but designed for a factory roller block.

Good luck, Ed www.edgesz28.com

Did You Know?
Old 03-17-2005, 07:04 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

cam

I have run the no-name brand of the exact cam in my own personal engine plus have used it in a few customers engines and i like them. They are about the edge for a daily driver IMO. The only thing i would suggest is to determine your static compression before you buy the cam. It really should be 9.3/9.5 or higher for this cam to work well...

Keith
Old 03-17-2005, 07:08 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Hey Edge,

Not to hijack the thread, but do you do something special to get your links and web site to show up as a hyperlink? Recently, when I've put a site address in a post...it just comes up as the address (which has to be cut and pasted) rather than automatically changing to a hyperlink.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:17 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Insert hyperlink

Just above the screen wher eone types a reply there are some symbols for bold, italic, underline, create list, insert hyperlink insert e-mail. and wrap quote..

I got enlightend on this a few days ago..

OMT
Old 03-17-2005, 09:51 AM

Heres all the specs
87 Formula Firebird 355 4bolt main 92 block factory roller
9.5:1 compression
Factory swirl port heads that are ported soon will be performer rpm heads or a set of 23* trick flows
Edelbrock performer RPM intake
Hooker super comp shorty headers
Full 3 inch exhaust all the way back about to upgrade to true duals or a single 4 inch mufflex set up.
Full msd setup
Have 2 carbs going to try both to see which it likes i have a 670 street avenger and a 750dp
5 speed manual
3.73 gears
The car currently has a comp XE262HR and falls on its face at about 4,500-5000 and has a smooth idle. It bugs me i want to sound mean and be able to pull into some higher rpm's. The most i plan to spin it is 6,000-6,500 rpms.

How much does it normally cost to get a set of heads done to hold this cam. My heads are only setup to about .480 lift?
Old 03-17-2005, 09:53 AM

Also plan to hook up a 150 shot to it anyone ran bottle with this cam does it like it?
Old 03-17-2005, 10:27 AM
its not pink its ember red

Last photo:

i have this cam in my 327 i love it because its just right for the high rev of the 327 i has pretty good pickup but i have a 3500 stall on the street so i have to down shift if i wanna go fast. It has a great idle for the street and it scares the hell outta those honda cars when i pull up
Old 03-17-2005, 11:56 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1964chevelle
It has a great idle for the street ...
With my setup, I get about 10" vacuum in drive, but I do idle it about 925-950 RPM. With a 2800 stall, it is fine.

cboy, do the hyperlinks link OMT said. But if you really want to get slick, do it like this:
Click on the image

Ed
Old 03-17-2005, 12:12 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by f355bird
Heres all the specs
Factory swirl port heads that are ported soon will be performer rpm heads or a set of 23* trick flows
When it comes to choosing new heads, despite having the Edelbrock RPM cam and intake, I'd go with some Trickflow 195's. I am not just saying this because I have them and love them . . . but the Edelbrock set has a much smaller intake runner and exhaust runner. While this will help keep velocity and lower end power up, it doesn't leave much room for expansion, and I think the trickflows would mesh better with your intended cam. The trickflows I have accept up to .54 lift. Standard is .52 I think, and they offer them up to .60 for a few bucks more. I went with the middle group and wish I had gone with the upper group just for upgrade purposes.

BTW edge I never really realized that you had such a meaty setup along with your TPI project. Nicely done
Old 03-18-2005, 03:55 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge
With my setup, I get about 10" vacuum in drive, but I do idle it about 925-950 RPM. With a 2800 stall, it is fine.

Click on each image to see/hear some videos - #1 is 1,460 KB & #2 is 1,157 KB: WMV format

In the idling video, again it is set at about 925-950 RPM in drive. This works very good with the Performer RPM cam (either flat tappet or hyd. roller). The throttle response on this cam is nothing short of awesome. The nice thing about fuel injection is you can run a higher idle and not worry about run-on when you turn off the engine.

Now, before you doubt the power, keep in mind that this was off idle and in my driveway. I cracked it about 3/4 throttle and let off rather quickly. I am planning a couple of trips to the track this spring, so we will see what she's really got

Ed

EDIT: Sound cards vary by computer, but if you have a decent card, my car will give you a good idea of what a pair of 3" Flowmaster 50 Series Delta-Flow mufflers with tailpipes sounds like.

Last edited by edge; 03-18-2005 at 04:22 PM.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:11 PM
Reviewing the situation

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

man thats awesome! i want to take some burnout footage of my ride !
Old 03-18-2005, 08:22 PM

Last photo:

Sounds great. I really like the way the whole cars jumps in the air when you hit it. I would like to hear how it sounds at 50 to 100 rpm lower at idle might have more thump. How do you get the video and sound clips on here? I would like to try that some time.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:14 PM

I dont know if you missed but im not fuel injected any more im carbed. Also i have a 5 speed manual so im not worried about it being a fairly big cam plus i have 3.73's so ought wake up with having a better cam in it. I went ahead and bought the Performer RPM roller cam. Got a question about how much would it cost to have a machine shop set my heads up for a .540 lift cam? Im kind of short on change and cant throw out enough money to buy a set of heads right now. So i got to make do with what i got. I was also thinking about cleaning up the ports some while i have them off and maybe gasket matching them. But anyways what do you think the machine shop will charge 200-300?
Old 03-18-2005, 09:19 PM

With as big of cam this is it should have a pretty healthy lope. One of my friends in his S10 with a small block had the XE268 cam and it had a nice lope and thats puney compared to this cam. Im drooling at having some lope. Cant wait i will get some vids up after i do the cam swap.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.