Anyone recall using VW bus steering box in rods? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2008, 05:47 AM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Anyone recall using VW bus steering box in rods?

I saw an article way back in the early 70s about using the early VW bus box in rod frames. These have the pitman arm facing up to get the side drag link to run horizontal instead of angled like when using the F-100 box.

I have a mint low mile, late 50s box, but the arm seems too short to work with an aftermarket Ford steering arm bolted to the 1940 left spindle.

Was there a mod for that short pitman? Also, I think these were used on T buckets; would they hold up on a highboy with an early Olds?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2008, 11:27 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by F&J
.....I have a mint low mile, late 50s box, but the arm seems too short to work with an aftermarket Ford steering arm bolted to the 1940 left spindle.
Was there a mod for that short pitman? Also, I think these were used on T buckets; would they hold up on a highboy with an early Olds?
These were used on many rods built in the 60's including the T buckets. I had a friend back then that had one mounted in his fenderless channeled A roadster. It had a very poor turning radius.

Those boxes can be set in many locations because of their mounting design but make sure you design your set up to take into consideration "bump steer".

Making a new arm would not be too hard. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone these days but my friend cut his and welded in a new piece to make it longer. Luckily he sold the car before anything broke. The new owner changed the box to a Mustang as he didn't like the turning radius.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:45 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Couldn't you shorten up the steering arm on the spindle and get some turning radius back?

If you need the frame mount for that box, there is a company called "bus boys" that specializes in those old boxes and has a mountain of pitman arms and associated parts.

I have 2 of those VW boxes, They say ZF on them and they look like an old Gemmer. I have one with a stock length column and one that was cut off to be used in a model T.

I would think those are kind of light for a V8 to sit on, but then again, I remember seeing some hippy vans that were pretty loaded...

In more ways than one.

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 01-12-2008, 11:49 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerrodsmike
....I would think those are kind of light for a V8 to sit on, but then again, I remember seeing some hippy vans that were pretty loaded...
In more ways than one.
Later, mikey
Diet Coke all over the screen!!!
Old 01-12-2008, 03:02 PM

Last photo:

Vw bus steering box

I used one on a T bucket in the mid '70's. I thought it worked well. I took the splined end of the pitman arm and turned it on a lathe, then welded it in an arm I made out of 1/2'' stock the same length as the spindle arm.

Shortening the steering arm on the spindle might lead to a problem with the tire rubbing on the drag link. Better to fab a new pitman arm.

Ron
Old 01-12-2008, 04:40 PM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

This box I have is REAL old VW, maybe even the barndoor-bus style. The box is all cast iron. It's marked with bold letters "ROSS" and a ATE logo (ATE did the hyd brakes for VW for years). I thought Ross was a good brand??

The box looks promising for strength as it has a 4 bolt flange where the column tube attaches and a bolt-on flange to support the lower sector bearing.

The arm measures only 4-1/8" from centers. So it would be best to shorten the arm on the spindle??? That short arm must cause the turning radius problems posted above?

It does have the cast iron frame adapter that can adjust to any column angle.

I'd put up a pic, but the camera got lost during our move in late Dec. Heck, I found the long-missing VW box, but lost the camera With the 90 foot long garage, I want to get started on the 32...
Old 01-12-2008, 10:21 PM

Last photo:

Vw bus steering box

I'm working from memory here ( that's scary, huh! ), but the box would end up sitting inboard of your frame rail. Could get kinda tight around the header.

As I stated before, shortening the spindle steering arm will cause problems with the tire rubbing on the piman arm at full left lock. Better to lengthen the pitman arm.

The ross box is a good solid unit. They were several version of it used by a few different car makers. Willy's, Crosley and VW to name a few. Most all applications were light cars. I would wonder about replacement parts and the cost of them once they're found. IMO...there are more servicable boxes avalable to you for your '32.

Ron
Old 01-13-2008, 01:45 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngster

The ross box is a good solid unit. They were several version of it used by a few different car makers. Willy's, Crosley and VW to name a few. Most all applications were light cars. I would wonder about replacement parts and the cost of them once they're found.

Ron
Good point about the steering arm, and tire clearance.

I've seen drag links with a slight bend to clear tires too.

Parts.

http://www.bus-boys.com/bb41556.htm

To be sure, there are steering boxes that are better, but if finding parts is an issue, it doesn't need to be.

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.