Anyone run a Pete jackson noisy gear drive in a sbc? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2004, 05:28 PM
CLICK ON MY AVATAR

Wiki Edits: 0

Anyone run a Pete jackson noisy gear drive in a sbc?

Anyone run a Pete jackson noisy gear drive in a sbc?I'm thinking about getting one for my nova.I love the sound of gear drives!Can You tell me your of the pete jackson gear drive?Another question...There are two drives a noisy and a quiet.Can you still hear the quiet one?THANKS BM

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2004, 06:24 PM

Last photo:

gear drives

Pete Jackson is as good as any of the others. I question your reason for putting one in though. Gear drives do keep your cam timing very accurate, but they are a little on the pricey side, and the noise can get tiresome after a very short time of driving with it. If you are going to go with a gear drive, go with the silent. Even most of the silents still make enough noise you can tell its got gear drive, yet the noise doesnt get so overbearing.

If this is a daily driver car and you make long trips with it, you will find that the "noisy" ones can cause you to wind up with headaches from the high frequency.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:27 PM

Last photo:

My Milodon Gear drive in my BB mopar is pretty damn loud- I can hear it over the open exhaust- but it is cool, it almost drowns out the noisy fuel pump LOL
Old 12-07-2004, 06:50 PM

Last photo:

I dont care for any of the dual idler drives as they have a tendency to not be very accurate as far as cam timing. The last one i checked had 7 degrees of movement in the gear lash. If u get one get a fixed idler one. The only thing Pete Jackson i like is their barrel valves and of course Pete himself!
Old 12-07-2004, 08:43 PM

Last photo:

I have the noisy one in my nova....it is quite loud....I liked they way they sounded to...but I had never road in a car with one....do that first if you can....they sound better going down the road, than they do setting in the car going down the road....

If i had it all to do again I'd go with the quite version.....or a good chain...

nasty
Old 12-08-2004, 03:46 AM

Last photo:

I'm using an Edlebrock gear drive in my blown sbc and it is supposed to be a little louder than a quiet Pete Jackson but not as loud as their noisy one. I like it
Old 12-08-2004, 01:44 PM

Last photo:

I'm running a set of "noisy's" on my supercharged sbc too. They are loud, but heck, I wouldn't have a roots blower if I was worried about the wine. A lot of guys will warn you about damage from the harmonics of the gears over a good chain. I'm sure there's truth to this, but I'd already purchased the gears at by the time I started asking questions. If your going for longevity, I'd definitely ask a few more questions from those "in the know"about harmonic destruction before making your choice. Outside the preference for the sound alone, there probably isn't much benefit to running a double idler type gear over a quality double roller chain.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:21 PM
The Smell of Nitro in the morn

Last wiki edit: How to adjust valves Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

If you want to read other posting on the gear drives.
http://hotrodders.com/search.php?s=&...by=&sortorder=
Old 12-08-2004, 05:49 PM
Beater Driver

Last photo:

A friend runs a quiet Pete Jackson gear drive on a 350 in his '66 Malibu. It is definitely noticeable, even over the Flowmaster exhaust. If I were to run a gear drive I would definitely opt for the quiet model.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:36 PM

Last photo:

I have run both the quiet and the loud. The queit is very noticable and more than enough noise. The loud is pretty obnoxious after a while (driving). In either case there are some mis-conceptions about them, one was mentioned earlier about harmonics. They do not "create" harmonics and all engines have harmonics. What they "might" do is tranfer the harmonics from the crankshaft to the valve train. This is really only an issue if you are turning 7000 or higher RPM. At lower RPM's it won't have any noticable effect. I have an engine that has had a PJ quiet in it for over 7 years and is still just fine.

I chose to go with a billet timing set in my blown engine because the blower makes enough noise.

Royce
Old 12-08-2004, 11:18 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

So the quiet sets make enough noise to notice over the engine? I am looking at some as well. I dont want annoying levels of sound from them but I'd like something definitely noticeable.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:26 AM
It's Madness, They are all Mad

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

i posted my addvice about this in the past. there is something nobody is talking about. there is a power loss everywhere in the band with a gear drive system. you are increasing your frictional losses. i m not gonna even start about spur cut gears compared to a roller chain. the skinny

timming gears = power loss. i was able to see the results of a dyno experiment 1st hand. they dynoed the combos with a chain and then gears. this was on 5 or 6 different performance engines.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:06 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

I recommend the Edelbrock noisy set too. We installed one on the SBC in my friend's '42 Willys pickup and it has been going strong for over 10 years. It sounds great on the outside and with a little care in well insulating the cab, it isn't noticeable inside. They (he and his wife) drive that little truck on really long trips (i.e. 500 miles) very comfortably.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:18 AM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

I've had one in my show car for 14 years and I like it. Of course it's not a daily driver, if it was, I would have a belt drive instead.

Troy

69 SS/RS full custom Camaro 98 ISCA Grand Champion
69 SS/RS BB Camaro wifes driver
66 Elcamino 350/all dz parts,ac,windows,loaded,my driver
69 SS Chevelle BB conv.fresh frame off
26 T sedan street rod
Old 12-09-2004, 09:29 AM

Last photo:

spinn,
Where in the RPM band was the loss? How much of a loss was there? Were these back to back tests with the exact same engine on the same dyno on the same day? I am not doubting you I just want the facts.

I have run gears drives in several engines and never had a problem (for years on end). The only time I even thought the gear drive was a problem was in a high RPM solid roller engine I had. I thought (and still think) that it was limiting my RPMs due to transfering harmonics to the valve train. The "problem" would only happen near 6800-7000 RPM (SBC). After the fact I am not so sure that was even the problem. In either case in a high RPM application (7000RPM) a gear drive would not be my choice. Otherwise on a street car I don't see a problem running them. This is one of those topics that people will never agree on. You either like them or you don't.

Royce

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.