Is anyone running an xe274h comp cam on their sbc ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2013, 10:12 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Is anyone running an xe274h comp cam on their sbc ?

if you are can you tell me your specs and what your idle speed is ?

I'm running a 350 bored over .60, with the 274h cam, an edelbrock 1405 600cfm carb, block hugger headers, performer eps manifold with an open spacer, and ported 305 heads with 2.02 1.6 valves, this setup is at like 10:1 compression give or take a wee bit

so i've got the idle speed set to 1000 rpm, I've never run an idle that high because this is my first time running such a large cam(yes i know it's still small) and i'm not too comfortable with my idle in four figures

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2013, 10:50 AM

i've seen plenty of youtube video of this cam but mostly in 383 strokers and seems like most are in the 850 range. i'm pretty new to this stuff so i'm just giving you what i've found.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:44 AM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:

Why 1000, does it need that to stay running? do you have an auto trans, what is the idle in gear?
Old 03-21-2013, 12:01 PM
It's Madness, They are all Mad

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

The performer, is this to stimulate low end? The 274xe is going to like more intake to take advantage of its potential.

600 is fine for break in, but depending on your ideas for the drivetrain, it could be bigger. The 600 might run out when it starts getting good.

The 274xe is about the most cam I would use in a street driven, normal muscle car weight, type build.

To keep it running smoother 1000rpm idle possible could be better. Adjust the curve for this. That 274xe would benefit from vacuum advance limited to 10 deg or so at cruising vacuum.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:12 PM

Last photo:

I have a hydraulic roller cam similar to that but its a 231/239@ 50 duration and mine idles at 1000 rpm. That cam will not idle much lower then that as bigger cams need increased idle speed too stay running right cause of the overlap and other factors. You will need to have a good amount of initial timing with the correct settings on your carburetor as well.

Timing first before carb. I would at least start out with 16 degrees initial and should give you 36 to 38 total and you should curve your distributor to not give any mechanical timing till after 1000 rpm and have it all in by 3000 to 3500 rpm. You might need more but others on here are far better on information then I am but am giving you a starting point.

Your going to have to do some tuning with your edelbrock carb to idle better and work right with this cam as edelbrock 600 carbs are for more mild builds.

I had one before but it would not work very good out of the box with a 221/230 @ 50 duration roller cam and I instead got a holley so I could fine tune it a little better. Things I hate about the edelbrock is you cant adjust the secondarys to allow more air like a holley.

Your carb can still work but will need to get a tuning kit and test drive etc and look at your carb manual to see what rods or jets you might have to change to go richer or leaner with it along with your colored springs on the metering rods. Also it would be better for your engine to have a 4 hole spacer then an open spacer as it will give your better torque and throttle response and better fuel mileage.

I used an open spacer once and it really took away bottom end and leaned out my carb but jet change would have fixed that. I put the 4 hole spacer back on and made a big difference.

Also try running your vacuum advance off of full manifold vacuum and that will give extra timing along with your initial and would allow you to drop your idle some and close the transfer slot up some too if its open too much.

Eric
Old 03-21-2013, 02:21 PM

Last photo:

the thing is I had it at 850rpm , but with the cold weather i'd have to warm it up for atleast 6 min until it was warm enough to not die the instant throttle removed, however even after it was warm it would try to die when turning the wheel, this engine is on my jeep with 32 inch tires which I assume are heavier than what the muscle car guys are running

the performer eps is about halfway between the old performer which you guys are more than familiar with and the performer rpm, the one inch spacer adds more plenum volume anyway, the 600 carb is tuned for performance, i'm cool with the power curve only going up to about 5600

But yea guys anyone who is running this cam tell me if 950rpm-1000rpm sounds about right or if I have some tuning issues

it's a 5 speed manual transmission by the way, no vacuum advance, it's like 36 total timing all in by like 2400rpm I believe
Old 03-21-2013, 02:26 PM

Last photo:

I'm running an msd 6 box with no vacuum advance, this is the 1405 version of the 600 edelbrock carb so it is tuned rich unlike most of the other edelbrock 600s
Old 03-21-2013, 02:43 PM

Last photo:

1000 sounds right, or could. I know what you mean about the rpm limit of 5500.

you could also drop to 850 and pull manifold vacuum for added idle advance and clean the rich idle up nice.

There is no reason not to use a vacuum advance on this build. You really should. If the engine is getting more advance it possibly will also make more vacuum.

Last edited by spinn; 03-21-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:48 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
1000 sounds right, or could.

you could also drop to 850 and pull manifold vacuum for added idle advance and clean the rich idle up nice.

There is no reason not to use a vacuum advance on this build. You really should.
i've got one of them pro billet distributors from msd that are meant to work with a trigger box

this engine is on a jeep so i've got some firewall clearance issues and needed the little head on this distributor

i mean the engine feels good with this high Idle, i'm just concerned that the idle is too high and is just a waste, mpg is bad enough as it is lol, don't want to deal with any overheating issues either come summer
Old 03-21-2013, 03:08 PM

Last photo:

The stock mopar HEI is excellent and has a vacuum pod. Probably 40 bones at autozone.

Yes you have a billet distributor that has no vacuum advance pod. I would not place this in a driver application.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:32 PM

I am running a XE-274 H cam on my modified stroker. Idle is set to 900-1000 rpm.

Prior modified 350 , with the usual intake exhaust modifications ran a CC 264H cam.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:02 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Recuve the distributor to allow 24 to 26deg base initial at idle.
You do this by restricting the travel of the mech advance system.
to 10deg..

24-26 at idle 34 to 36deg at max mech advance.

use a 4" step up spring pair. now it will idle at 800rpm.

You cannot get the right curve by just using light tension adv springs.
1 light and 1 medium spring is much more stable.

The XE284H-10 cam needs around 24 to 26deg at idle to idle clean.
The stock distributor curve will not work.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:31 PM

Last photo:

I mean the engine can idle at 800 rpm, in fact I've had it idling there for a while so i could engine some thump

the problem was that a soon as the weather went below 70 the thing would not run right until warmed up well, and even then putting strain on the power steering pump (32x11.5 tires) would put me at risk of shutting off

The engine runs great, no stumble, plugs look good, good throttle response

If someone who has their setup tuned nicely could just tell me what their idle speed is using this cam would really help me out
Old 03-21-2013, 05:52 PM

I can't lend anything directly to this thread but I am very interested as I am building a 400 SBC with this same cam for a Jeep Wrangler 5 speed application (a lot of similarities).
I have not purchased a carb. yet but am planning to go with a Holley. Biggest question is CFM as 600-650 seems like plenty but 750 is widely used.
My distributor does have both vacuum and mechanical advance so I will refer to this thread for information about timing set-up when I get that far.
Curious where you got you block hugger headers from. I am looking at Novak but before I pull the trigger I am always looking for insight.

Good luck with your tune (and your Jeep).
Old 03-21-2013, 06:00 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WICruiser View Post
I can't lend anything directly to this thread but I am very interested as I am building a 400 SBC with this same cam for a Jeep Wrangler 5 speed application (a lot of similarities).
I have not purchased a carb. yet but am planning to go with a Holley. Biggest question is CFM as 600-650 seems like plenty but 750 is widely used.
My distributor does have both vacuum and mechanical advance so I will refer to this thread for information about timing set-up when I get that far.
Curious where you got you block hugger headers from. I am looking at Novak but before I pull the trigger I am always looking for insight.

Good luck with your tune (and your Jeep).
I got a set of cheap stainless steel ones from ebay

despite what anyone says just because they weren't made in 'Murica doesn't mean they're bad

I did my swap 3 years ago and let me tell you that they are great, never had a leak of any kind and the welds look good, the flanges are nice and thick too

my biggest regret is that I didn't try to fit some mid length headers from the get go

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.