Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Anyone tell me what engine & tranny this is?
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 09:10 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRHeloPilot View Post
Hi Ray. No way I'm welding this I was just remembering what I used to do when I was young and dumb.

This rear is axle to axle about 4" less than what I have on now so it works out great. Now I can add wider tires and they wont stick out the sides. Since I'm going to build a flat bed with stakes I won't have inner fenders to contend with either.

I'm planning on cutting off everything that sticks out of it leaving it bare so I can mount it on the leaf springs like the other one. I'd like to have coils instead of springs only because I'm a minimalist and it looks better to me but my neighbor doesn't know how to deal with that and I'd rather be safe than sorry and keep it simple.
Thanks for the picture as well, is this the neighbor that isn't showing up when promised? I don't know the man but, if he offered to help or agreed to help and doesn't show up after 3 weeks, I would think he needs a very good reason or instead of an excuse. Remember what I said about "Faith, Respect and Trust". Like I said I don't know this man but it makes me wonder if he knows what he is doing and maybe he's afraid, I don't know, that is something you would have a better handle on than I would.

When installing the rear end make many measurements to ensure that it's going in straight...not just front to back but cross measure as well. This will also give you a good indication as to the straightness of your frame. Pick spots on the frame like front suspension mounts, ends of the frame horn any and all common points on the frame that should measure equally from side to side before you tack weld (always tack weld when fitting never solid weld) your mounts in place. When installing the diff check for proper pinion angle before tack welding any bracketry...test fit...measure again...You will probably need a new drive shaft, with different U-joint yokes,but we can cross that bridge when we come to it.

I'm sure you know a lot of this, I'm just sending out a reminder and stressing the importance of it.

Ray