Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Anyone tell me what engine & tranny this is?
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 05:08 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
Starter shimming is normal...save the shims and use them again when re-installing the starter...Very common, not to worry Carlos.

The rest looks good...what are you going to use to paint the parts with?
Hmm? I didn't get an email telling me you had replied.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL !!!!!

I'm painting all these parts with black Rustoleum bed liner from a spray can. I tried with one part a few weeks ago and after I gave it a week like it says to really dry I've thrown them all over the yard and floor in the shop and the paint doesn't scratch too much or come off. I thought that's best because in the future I can touch it up if needed without having to take it to the paint shop.

We had a white Christmas yesterday, first time it's ever snowed on Christmas day for my town, and it'll be cold today and tomorrow so maybe this weekend when it warms up a little we'll finish cleaning up the engine and painting it black. It's a Chevy engine in a Ford truck so I didn't know what color to paint it, orange or blue, so I decided to keep everything black & yellow since the truck is going to be yellow and black. So black engine and mounts, yellow Accel spark plug wires, yellow air cleaner cover and finally yellow valve covers.

Today I received 2 new leaf spring assemblies and all the shackle hardware. By Friday UPS is scheduled to deliver my complete floor pans and Shaun at the body shop is going to replace the firewall. I'm telling you I hate to do things 1/2 way so this truck is going to be completely restored if it takes me all year or kills me!

The only thing that's holding me up is a bushing that these new auto parts places can't find. I remember my uncle used to own a auto parts store and customers would come in and he'd look at the part, measure it with a small caliper and come back with the right part. Nowadays employees have to know everything about the car or the computer won't tell them anything. I needed an oil filter for the 350 SBC and they couldn't find it because I told them it's in a 1949 Ford F1. They couldn't even look it up until I told them it was for a '71 Chevy Camaro engine !

So now I'm stuck because I need the control arm lower rear bushings and they've tried 3 or 4 different ones and we still can't find the correct ones. Until I get those 2 rear bushings I can't start to put everything together again.

If anyone can get some part numbers for me to try it would be great. Up to now we are using these part numbers and they fit :

Coil Springs Moog 5276
Control arm upper front K6198
Control arm upper rear K6108
Control arm lower front K6333
Ball Joint upper K5208
Ball Joint lower K6145T

We tried K6110 but no luck. I think the clue here is the Control arm lower front part# K6333 because in their websites it says it's not for the '71 Camaro. The parts store guy looked it up under Chevy S-10 and it's exactly like mine so he ordered the lower rear bushing for an S-10 to see if that's the one I need. I'll know tomorrow when the part comes in. Man if I didn't like my truck so much I'd hate it !

Here are pictures. The inside diameter is roughly 12mm and outside 47mm. As you can see they needed changing anyway :
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1747.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	463.3 KB
ID:	70086   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1748.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	649.2 KB
ID:	70087   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1749.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	753.3 KB
ID:	70088  

Last edited by PRHeloPilot; 12-26-2012 at 05:16 PM.