Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Anyone tell me what engine & tranny this is?
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 08:24 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

So I've painted my engine and have started to put everything back together. New oil filter, spark plugs, air filter, etc. but I'll add oil after I change the pan gasket. It wasn't leaking that I can remember but I want to take the pan out before adding oil in case it has sludge stuck to the bottom I can clean it out.

I installed the starter and when I was going to install the motor mount brackets I got this surprise. Different part numbers (334970 & 334601) so I don't know which one goes on which side! I'm sure I had labeled them but when I go to sandblasting and painting I messed up and must have forgotten to put the tape back on them.

I did a google search and found someone saying this:

The steel brackets bolted to the engine from 1973 to 1988 differ slightly in length so it's important to get the correct pieces for the vehicle you have. The 1973-76 B body GM cars use the longer bracket (part number 334601); all other 1973 and later GM cars use the shorter bracket (part number 334970)

So now how do I know which one goes on which side? Just install them and if it looks wrong pull the motor and switch them? When I lay them flat on the floor it only looks like it's less than 1/2 inch, maybe even 1/4 inch difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1800.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	916.0 KB
ID:	70367   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1801.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	406.3 KB
ID:	70368