Anyone tell me what engine & tranny this is? - Page 11 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 09:10 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRHeloPilot View Post
Hi Ray. No way I'm welding this I was just remembering what I used to do when I was young and dumb.

This rear is axle to axle about 4" less than what I have on now so it works out great. Now I can add wider tires and they wont stick out the sides. Since I'm going to build a flat bed with stakes I won't have inner fenders to contend with either.

I'm planning on cutting off everything that sticks out of it leaving it bare so I can mount it on the leaf springs like the other one. I'd like to have coils instead of springs only because I'm a minimalist and it looks better to me but my neighbor doesn't know how to deal with that and I'd rather be safe than sorry and keep it simple.
Thanks for the picture as well, is this the neighbor that isn't showing up when promised? I don't know the man but, if he offered to help or agreed to help and doesn't show up after 3 weeks, I would think he needs a very good reason or instead of an excuse. Remember what I said about "Faith, Respect and Trust". Like I said I don't know this man but it makes me wonder if he knows what he is doing and maybe he's afraid, I don't know, that is something you would have a better handle on than I would.

When installing the rear end make many measurements to ensure that it's going in straight...not just front to back but cross measure as well. This will also give you a good indication as to the straightness of your frame. Pick spots on the frame like front suspension mounts, ends of the frame horn any and all common points on the frame that should measure equally from side to side before you tack weld (always tack weld when fitting never solid weld) your mounts in place. When installing the diff check for proper pinion angle before tack welding any bracketry...test fit...measure again...You will probably need a new drive shaft, with different U-joint yokes,but we can cross that bridge when we come to it.

I'm sure you know a lot of this, I'm just sending out a reminder and stressing the importance of it.

Ray

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 09:38 AM

Last photo:

No this is my neighbor who is helping me out with everything. His nephew is the mechanic that doesn't show up and you might be right he may not know what he's doing although my neighbor, Joe, swears by his abilities. He's a very nice guy but since I can't count on the nephew I'll just do what Joe knows how to do.

Yes, measure twice tack once. Thanks for the reminders, even if I know it, I have no problem in getting reminders specially from people with lots more experience than me. Even as a pilot and with all the experience I have I'm still going in a couple of minutes to a guy in the next town to get a refresher on a helicopter that I flew many years ago because I have an interview on Wednesday for a big police department and I'd like very much to get that job, only 2 hours away!
Old 11-10-2012, 09:46 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Good luck on your interview, I hope you get the job...It does sound exciting...Cop helicopter guy...WOW
Old 11-10-2012, 12:50 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Ray. It's just a job but it's safer than Air Ambulance and less politics with the hospital personnel.

Just got back from talking with the guy who's going to give me a refresher, he told me to call him Monday and it's all good.

On my way now to the swap meet to buy some wire brushes for the angle grinder, some rubber grommets for when I start my wiring, and to see if I find a fuel tank that will fit the space I have behind the differential between the frame.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:56 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Go get'em Carlos...Good Luck
Old 11-14-2012, 03:51 PM

Last photo:

Interview for the police pilot position went well. I'll know more next week. They were going to choose this week but one of the candidates had a death in the family and couldn't show today so they gave him a few days.

I'm looking at the proportioning valves and saw this one. Is that pigtail wire for a caution light so if you lose brake pressure you can start screaming before the crash or can I use that for my brake light to come on when I press the brakes instead of the current switch I have against the pedal? I'd like to replace that brake pedal switch with something else to clean up that area under the dash a little more.

I emailed them but they haven't replied. Figured I'd ask here to see if anyone has had experience with this type of valve.

Disc Disc Brass Proportioning Valve Prop Valve Chevy | eBay
Old 11-14-2012, 03:59 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Hey Carlos, glad to hear your interview went well, hope you get the job.

The pig tail would be for the caution light and I think your going to need the brake light switch under the dash. The valve does look like the standard GM PV for disc /disc set ups. It should be OK.

Ray
Old 11-14-2012, 04:09 PM

Last photo:

Okie dokie, thanks. I'm going to get some early rest today. These last few days have been a little stressful preparing for that interview, I really want that job! The other interview is a piece of cake because it's something I've been doing for the last years but the police pilot job I haven't done it since 2005. TTYL !
Old 11-14-2012, 04:16 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Good stuff Carlos and again, hope you get the job.

Ray
Old 11-19-2012, 09:24 PM

Last photo:

Anyone tell me what engine & tranny this is?

Hopefully my ride will make it into the photo's. I see what I think is a GM BOP (Buick, Olds, Pontiac) 350 and it looks like it came with almost every option the donor car could have. Those engines were the 350's all along but a lawsuit from a customer who had an Olds with a 350 that had valve covers that said "Chevrolet" sued GM and this was the settlement. Good luck withyour project and watch that "Dead Mans Curve" too.
Normbc9
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	copter16_001.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	392.8 KB
ID:	69251  
Old 11-19-2012, 09:36 PM

that 12 year old bird get many hours on it?Did not know that your bird was so big.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:42 AM

Last photo:

Thanks highball.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:35 PM

Last photo:

Updating :

Finally got the call from the guy who sandblasts and rebuilds antiques and hot rods. His name is Shaun and I had to wait for him because he does great jobs and charges a lot less than what the other guy charges. Now that he's done with sandblasting the frame I'll have him sandblast the cab.

I installed the disc brake rear and I also received the fiberglass front end so I took the front end and cab to Shaun and he's going to put it together and correct the issue I have with the frame. It turned out the frame was almost 1" off to one side. That's why one tire was flush with the fender and the other side tire was tucked inside. Anyway he's going to remove the front clip and weld it all on correctly. It also turns out my front clip is from a '71 Camaro not a '79, big surprise right? NO !

So I'm now attacking the engine while he does his magic. Once he finishes I'll bring everything home to correct drop the engine in and get the driveshaft installed for the new rear, start on the body work issues, rewire a new harness and install it, install the new steering wheel column, brake system, .......... until we get everything running great then off the paint (looks like a few months away still).

So there we are, updated. On the job front tomorrow I should if I'm getting the interview for a really great job, great helicopter, great company and just under 6 hours away.

I'll post a few pics now:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	q - DEC 1, 2012  On the way to sandblast 1.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	511.3 KB
ID:	69790   Click image for larger version

Name:	q - DEC 1, 2012  On the way to sandblast 3.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	468.1 KB
ID:	69791   Click image for larger version

Name:	q - DEC 6, 2012  after sandblast 5.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	915.1 KB
ID:	69792   Click image for larger version

Name:	q - DEC 12, 2012 Front End Arrival 6.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	942.3 KB
ID:	69793   Click image for larger version

Name:	q - DEC 12, 2012 Front End Arrival 3.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	563.1 KB
ID:	69794  

Old 12-13-2012, 04:53 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Good to hear from you again Carlos...glad to hear that things are moving along...The fact that the front clip is off of a 71 Camaro isn't really bad news, it's news, and probably expected with the other surprises you had.

Are you going to paint the sub frame before installing the engine? You didn't mention it in your last post so I was just wondering.

Hope you get the new job.

Ray
Old 12-13-2012, 05:50 PM

Last photo:

Hi Ray.

Shaun etch primed the frame and he's also going to etch prime the cab inside and out. After that I'm going to paint the frame with bed liner material after I do any other fabricating needed. The cab is getting etched also because we don't want it to rust while we work on it. After it's all said and done Shaun will be in charge of painting everything that can be seen by the public so he'll prime and prepare and do whatever he needs to do to make it great.

Meanwhile I've been buying little things so when it's time to put everything together I'll have everything. I have all switches, wires, all LED lights (stop lights, fog lights, turn signals, etc.), reverse radar system, 7" HID headlight system, sway bar links, tie rods, belts, and the list goes on and on....

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.