Anyone tell me what engine & tranny this is? - Page 14 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2013, 05:43 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Wow it's been a long time since I posted anything here. Since then I got the job with the company I wanted and now have to drive 6 hours every week but I work 7 days in a row then 7 days off. I sold the Tundra (16mpg) and bought a KIA Optima Hybrid (45mpg) or I knew I'd go broke with the price of gas the way it is.

During this time I also have acquired some additional trucks. The biggest thing is that I realized I needed a dedicated shop so my girlfriend would stop moving my tools every time I left.

So in the 1st picture you see the beginning of the shop with my '49 and it's fiberglass front installed. It now opens & closes with an electrical actuator. I didn't cut the fenders like I've seen others do. My setup pushes the entire front forward about 4 inches (so it clears the door hinges) then pushes it up and open.

2nd picture is the few trucks I bought along the way. From right to left '66 Ford E-100 (302 V8 & auto Trans), 1951 F1 (complete without drive train), 1951 F3 Wrecker (original Flathead V8 & Tulsa PTO winch), 1948 F5 Flatbed (had original V8 Flathead but seller wanted $1500 more for it so I told him to pull it. He left the original Trans). I have a neighbor who is selling me a running 7.1 Diesel with automatic transmission for $1200 and I'm thinking of going that route.

3rd picture is that '66 E-100. I had to change water pump, thermostat, hoses, Auto Trasmission filter kit, have the radiator professionally cleaned and now it's running like a top. I'm going to restore it in the future but for now since I sold the Tundra this one is my truck for my Home Depot runs.

4th and 5th pictures are the '51 wrecker. This truck worked at a gas station for 30 years about 50 miles from my home. I drove by when the owner's son was pulling it out of the barn and I stopped to take a look. After a while talking with him he said he had bought new tires for it and was going to try to get it running. I went back the next day and we added fuel and a new battery and it started. I asked what he was going to do with it and he said he'd probably sell it so before he could go online and figure out what it might be worth I made him an offer and an hour later I was driving it home. Needs new brakes and that's it. I'm thinking of just wirebrushing the old paint and surface rust chips off and clear coating the entire thing.

My goal is really finishing the '49 and the '66 to keep for myself then maybe restoring the others but most likely I'll try to sell off the other ones to buy an old car (1930's or 1940's) that I can fully restore and use as a daily driver or maybe one already fully restored.

Well that gets me up to date with the forum. Soon I'll continue with the '49 restoration and post more pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	384.5 KB
ID:	88714   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	453.2 KB
ID:	88722   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	376.3 KB
ID:	88730   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	351.0 KB
ID:	88738   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	300.0 KB
ID:	88746  

Advertisement

Last edited by PRHeloPilot; 10-13-2013 at 05:50 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2013, 09:18 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Wow! The wrecker is uber cool. And a runner to boot. I wouldn't do a thing to it other than replacing what's needed to be safe and upkeep/maintenance. Having a shop will make it much easier to work, too. Good job!
Old 10-13-2013, 09:45 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks. I thought if I leave it as is the rust will keep eating it up but if I give it a light wirebrush to knock the cracked paint and surface rust off of it and clear coat it like they do on those crazy shows it'll protect it from corroding more. Am I wrong?

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.