Anyone tell me what engine & tranny this is? - Page 9 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2012, 03:41 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Cheap labor, Funny!

Synopsis:

My dad was in the Air Force for 23 years, I was born on an Air Force base. Although my dad wasn't a military pilot he's a private pilot. My 2 brothers are pilots, one commercial and the other private, and I decided to go into the ocean instead of the air so I became a DiveMaster. I was scuba diving every weekend and was starting to get ear infections very frequently so I decided to get another hobby, flying. I was in the Air Force for 21 years (now retired) and during that time became an airplane pilot. While I was in the military I paid for private helicopter training and now I can teach helicopters, airplanes and seaplanes.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 03:50 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

That's fabulous Carlos, It's good to see that your brothers have gone into a related field as well. I've got 2 brothers that wouldn't know the difference between a ratchet and a can of paint...not saying that it's a bad thing that they don't have that family gene I inherited from our father but, it's always good to see that "following in your father's footsteps" kind of thing. My son went a bit of different route, he went into engineering...Probably a good thing because now he can afford to build his own cars (which he is doing) a lot sooner than I could. He recently bought a 70 340 Challenger, and knowing my boy he will be meticulous in the restoration.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:01 PM

Last photo:

Nice. My daughter wants to be a veterinarian, oh well. Hopefully she can make a lot of money and buy the car she wants instead of building it like I'm doing. I'd rather build it though and make sure it comes out right.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:07 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Building the car yourself is a good way to go... you will know exactly what you have. Nothing wrong with being a Vet... she must love animals. We've got a strange (I don't know about strange as much as unusual) pet in our house, a pure bread grey wolf.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:22 PM

Last photo:

Don't think I have wolves but I know I have coyotes and wild hogs around my house, 105 acres.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:26 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

105 acres, that's a lot of property, Is it farm land or an acerage type of property, out here acerages are quite a bit smaller but I guess everything is bigger in Texas.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:53 PM

Last photo:

Yep, everything is bigger in Texas. It's a hay farm but I have about 20 acres of trees where the wild animals hide when they come from the adjoining farms and properties. I grow Coastal Bermudagrass then bale it for hay to sell for winter.

Started out as a small 20 acres and I've expanded as I bought out some of my neighbors that were downsizing their properties.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:09 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Where do you find the time, I mean with your job being so far away and all, it's got to tough to keep it all together? Well I need to make a few calls and have to take an hour or so off, but if you need anything just ask, I'm always happy to help.

Ray
Old 11-04-2012, 05:14 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Ray. I'm very organized and know how to multitask and delegate. I also surround myself with good people who I can count on.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:24 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

All good and useful qualities Carlos, especially surrounding yourself with good people, that way if you get off track for whatever reason you get steered back in the right direction in a hurry.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:43 PM

Last photo:

Yep. a little frustrated right now though. I've searched hi and low and cant find a good answer. Well let me take that back, not a good answer I want to hear.

I figured now that the engine is out I'll replace the engine mounts. I went and found the inserts and figured polyurethane seems to be the consensus on being the best resistant against oil, and other lubricants so they'll last longer than OEM.

Question: is this true in your experience or should I stick to OEM?

The aftermarket ones are as cheap as $18 a pair for regular rubber and the poly inserts I found are around $60 for both engine and tranny. These are the ones I like the best:

1979 CHEVROLET CAMARO Energy Suspension Motor and Transmission Mount Kits 3-1130R - SummitRacing.com

Here's where it gets tricky. I can't get the damn mount off the frame! How did these intelligent engineers come up with not having a hole somewhere to easily place a wrench?

I read that I'll need to borrow a distributor wrench but what if the nut falls off the wrench, just go buy a new bolt and leave the old one in there to rattle?
Old 11-04-2012, 07:03 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

As I mentioned Carlos, my son's an engineer and by his own admission sometimes things like this happen and he feels that they are all getting kick backs from the tool companies.

Polyurethane is the mount of choice both for strength and as you mentioned resisting oil and other stuff that will eventually rot the rubber in the mount. In your case, with the engine you have and having gotten to know you a little bit on the forum, I don't think that a messy oily engine compartment is going to be a problem that you would let linger long enough to ruin your mounts. Your engine is not going to break an OEM engine mount. You would be fine with a standard mount. That being said, the polyurethane mount would last a life time in your case. You need to ask your self, do I want a polyerethane mount or I need a polyurethane mount.

It has been a few years since I've done motor mounts on a Camaro but I've run into similar situations on different areas on cars. I simply magnetize the tool. Easy to do, just take an old speaker magnet and rub the tool over the magnet several times and your tool becomes a magnet. I do remember using a distributor wrench in places like that so I invested in a set of crows feet sockets...in your case, you may need to borrow or head to your local jobber and get the tool. There may be someone else on this site that has other ideas. If nothing shows up shortly I'll check into it for you and get back to you as soon as I can.

Sorry Carlos, I'm kind of chuckling a little, not because I think it's funny, I feel your frustration and have been there many times.

Ray
Old 11-04-2012, 07:32 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

I phoned a buddy of mine in Alberta that has worked on these for years and done lots of engine swaps. He didn't chuckle, he laughed and gave me a solution he uses every time. He simply cuts a 3/4 to 7/8 inch hole in the subframe. He mentioned he does both sides but apparently the drivers side is the real monster. I asked about weakening the frame and he says that people often cut even larger holes in the frame to save on weight (I know that is a fact and have done it myself) and a hole that size won't hurt it a bit. I trust this guy and have known him for years.

I asked about a distributor wrench and he mentioned that it does work but still very tedious and frustrating.

So if you have a drill that size and a 9/16th socket, it will work, if not a distributor wrench and perhaps some fowl language.

I'll keep checking, I have one more source I can call so if you can hang on a little longer I'll try and make it as painless as possible.

Ray
Old 11-04-2012, 07:35 PM

Last photo:

Don't worry I'm laughing too because it makes no sense to get mad, the problem will still be there.

OK I don't want poly just to have it. I want something that I won't have to change in a few years since it's such a pain in the so I guess I'll check the rubber mounts like this one :

Anchor 2292 - Mount | O'Reilly Auto Parts
Old 11-04-2012, 07:40 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
I phoned a buddy of mine in Alberta that has worked on these for years and done lots of engine swaps. He didn't chuckle, he laughed and gave me a solution he uses every time. He simply cuts a 3/4 to 7/8 inch hole in the subframe. He mentioned he does both sides but apparently the drivers side is the real monster. I asked about weakening the frame and he says that people often cut even larger holes in the frame to save on weight (I know that is a fact and have done it myself) and a hole that size won't hurt it a bit. I trust this guy and have known him for years.

I asked about a distributor wrench and he mentioned that it does work but still very tedious and frustrating.

So if you have a drill that size and a 9/16th socket, it will work, if not a distributor wrench and perhaps some fowl language.

I'll keep checking, I have one more source I can call so if you can hang on a little longer I'll try and make it as painless as possible.

Ray
He's right, the drivers side sucks !!! The other side already has 2 holes on the sides to reach the top bolts but nothing for the bottom bolt.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.