Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   General Rodding Tech (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/general-rodding-tech/)
-   -   Anyone tell me what engine & tranny this is? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/anyone-tell-me-what-engine-tranny-225503.html)

PRHeloPilot 10-28-2012 06:31 PM

Anyone tell me what engine & tranny this is?

4 Attachment(s)
When I bought the truck they told me '79 Camaro and nothing else. They also told me Camaro rear and it turns out it's a Ford rear so now I'm having my doubts. Can anyone tell me by these numbers on the engine and transmission what kind it is?

I have to buy the header gaskets so I need to know if it's a 350 like I was told. It would also help because I need to know what transmission oil to buy.

vinniekq2 10-28-2012 06:44 PM

looks like a 350 block number

69 widetrack 10-28-2012 06:50 PM

Hey Carlos...it does look like a small block Chevy 350...If you buy header gaskets for a 79 350 you should be OK...As far as transmission I think Dexron 11 should do it for you...Check the bolt pattern on your trans oil pan that will tell you what type it is. You can take a look at it and google 79 GM automatic transmission pan and it will give you the type of trans and information you need,

Ray

PRHeloPilot 10-28-2012 06:51 PM

Thanks vinniekq2 . Thanks Ray. It's a tight fit underneath right now so I'll wait until I remove them both this week and I'll take a picture then. I thought since I keep reading C6 and T5 and whatever that the 9 and the T would help.

69 widetrack 10-28-2012 06:54 PM

If you can turn take a picture of the trans oil pan we should be able to identify it. If not, like I mentioned look at it and match it up on the internet...I'll see what I can find for you.

PRHeloPilot 10-28-2012 06:58 PM

I googled it and it shows 2. Are you talking about the bottom oil pan or the bellhousing bolt pattern to be able to identify the transmission?? DIREGARD, I just read you mention oil pan.

69 widetrack 10-28-2012 06:59 PM

here is a wbsite that will help you identify your transmission by the oil pan.

Chevrolet Chevy Transmission Identification and Decoding

Ray

69 widetrack 10-28-2012 07:00 PM

the bottom pan of the transmission

vinniekq2 10-28-2012 07:01 PM

prh,what do you fly? r44 or better? sometimes when GM transmissions are built up for performance use,the build recommends type F. Or maybe check your local supplier as some of the newer fluids are compatible for ford and GM,be careful as there are some specialty fluids that are very expensive

69 widetrack 10-28-2012 07:05 PM

Vinniekg2 is right...lets find out what you've got first and take it from there.

PRHeloPilot 10-28-2012 07:12 PM

Great website you sent me to Ray. I tried to get my phone underneath and take a couple of pictures but it's too low. I also tried to find any other number but no luck.

I was planning on taking it into a transmission shop anyway since I'm restoring this thing from the ground up. It was working perfectly so is it worth doing that? Like taking it in for a pre-emptive oil flush & cleaning and replacing any seals or gaskets or whatever or are they just going to rake me through the coals with nothing positive to gain?

Vinnie I fly BELL 412 and before that MD902 NOTAR. I fly air ambulance all over the world. My last gig was Saudi Arabia before I took a job about 850 miles away. Now I most likely will take a job flying a Bell 407 for the next 6 months until they open some 412 slots again. That will keep me closer to home so I can continue the '49 restoration. I fly contract so it depends on what's available and how far I want to go to work.

69 widetrack 10-28-2012 07:19 PM

It probably wouldn't hurt, especially if it's something that your insure of. That way they can tell you what if anything has been done to it and specifically what type of trans fluid they recommend...cheap insurance and give you peace of mind.

Ray

PRHeloPilot 10-28-2012 07:22 PM

Would I ask for a transmission rebuild or just some type of cleaning? What should i ask them to do and what is a ball park cost for something like this if you know?

69 widetrack 10-28-2012 07:31 PM

I would ask them to go through it...check it out to make sure that everything is with in specs. If you ask for a rebuild you may get more than your asking for. It also depends on how you want to drive it. If this is going to be a real ground pounder you may want at look at different strategies If its going to be a nice driver and take it to the odd run than just have them go over it and have them make a recommendation first. Sometimes it's cheaper to buy an off the shelf rebuild than it is to have a transmission shop rebuild it. It all depends on what you want.

PRHeloPilot 10-28-2012 07:40 PM

My idea is to use it often, not as much as my car of course which I'll use to drive to work every week and as my daily driver but when I'm home have fun in it. If I have to drive it to Florida then I want to make sure it'll take me there and back.

I know its working good but I really don't know anything about it and wouldn't want to get stuck on the side of the road but also don't want to buy a rebuild is this one is ok.

I'll go visit a couple of shops in the area and see what they recommend and compare. Thanks.