Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Garage - Tools (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/garage-tools/)
-   -   anyone try the Roper WHitney Jr hole punchers? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/anyone-try-roper-whitney-jr-hole-punchers-213303.html)

tech69 01-25-2012 10:51 PM

anyone try the Roper WHitney Jr hole punchers?

seems like a good one but I've only heard one guy vouch for it. Anyone else?

MARTINSR 01-25-2012 11:31 PM

Geee, I wonder who that is who vouched for it?

For goodness sakes Henry, will you just buy one! Get the XX too, I use them all the time, for fabricating, for collision repair, they are very valuable tools.

Click here for one even a cheap guy like you will buy.

Click here for another that won't be that much.

Here is an auction with both of them, kill two birds with one stone. Click here

Brian

Dave57210 01-26-2012 01:08 AM

I guess I'm left trying to figure out what I would ever want to use it for...

(And both Brian and Tech69 respond: "For punching holes, stupid!!!")

"OK" sez Dave - next Q: "Why would I wanna punch holes in something?"

(Can you tell that body work & sheet metal work are not my strong points?)

MARTINSR 01-26-2012 07:51 AM

Dave, they are for sheet metal but "Body work" isn't all you would use it for. How about that under dash gauge panel, you could use it for punching the holes for the mounting screws. Punching holes in rubber pieces too like the splash shields I just installed on my inner fenders last night.

But honestly they are the only way to fly for sheet metal work, patch panels, replacing weld on parts in collision repair, that sort of thing.

Brian

tech69 01-26-2012 09:17 PM

there's also air ones that are convenient but you can't punch them in from the edge very far. Roper xx allows you 3" of depth from the edge. You can always drill the holes but that takes long, warps the panel slightly, and the hole has to be cleaned up of metal shavings and restraightend for optimal welding. So if you find yourself with huge panels where you'll plug weld a lot it becomes a lot of work.

MARTINSR 01-26-2012 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tech69
there's also air ones that are convenient but you can't punch them in from the edge very far. Roper xx allows you 3" of depth from the edge. You can always drill the holes but that takes long, warps the panel slightly, and the hole has to be cleaned up of metal shavings and restraightend for optimal welding. So if you find yourself with huge panels where you'll plug weld a lot it becomes a lot of work.

This is all why I use the XX and Jr.

Brian

tech69 01-27-2012 08:42 AM

btw, I couldn't remember what brand you mentioned having. I was gonna ask but it was so long ago when I read that post. I actually heard about it again from "jamesandfreddies" youtube channel, but in the back of my mind I was wondering what you once said about it in a post. Good to know it actually was a Roper. The more recommendations the more I'm inclined to get it.

For now the cheap HF one is more tolerable after I sliced a slit into for metal to go deeper into it. Helped a lot.