Anyone with Turbo knowledge please help. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-31-2013, 11:51 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: arizona
Posts: 76
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone with Turbo knowledge please help.

hey guys,

i have read a ton of other threads and im sorry to start a new thread that has been done before but a lot of the other ones get side tracked. heres what i have. fresh rebuilt 454 8.5 to 1 cr flat tops bare bones 525@50 lift. 781 heads ported 2.19 1.88 valves gear drive holley 850dp. Im looking to do a single turbo rev to about 5500 to 6000rpm, and make about 600hp or so. its going in a 62 c-10 ... im just looking to keep it simple. im looking for someone to help me out on what turbo is best. the name and size turbo so i can look at prices and start getting things rolling. i know motors just never been around turbos. if some one is willing to take the time to give me a rundown on a entire setup i would appreciate it greatly. if more info is needed from me just let me know. thanks everyone in advance for any help you can give me.

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-31-2013, 12:51 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: il
Age: 27
Posts: 106
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 27
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
hi , well turbonetics,,, are a very good brand of turbo,
and they hold up well and the bearings in those turbos are awesome,
as far as how big of a turbo, it depends on your camshaft
and engine set up , were do you want to make your peak power,
they sell little to large turbos based on how much rpms it takes
to spool one, there actually a formula for that ill have to look for
but once i find it il post it, also u will need to modify the oil system and ignition timing, and maybe the pistons, what kinda of pistons are you running and are you running a cast crank ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-31-2013, 12:57 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Camaro land
Posts: 360
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Try TheTurboForms.com A lot of great info on what your trying to achieve, good knowledge peps as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-31-2013, 01:32 PM
How fast is fast enough?
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Age: 29
Posts: 9,476
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 20
Thanked 385 Times in 361 Posts
something around a 60mm T4 type turbo will work- there's a few hundred variations of that though. Its hard to say with no specifics. I will say this though, for a street turbo go with just enough compressor to reach your goals and go with a larger than average exhaust side. It'll spool just as fast as the opposite (people often oversize compressors and undersize exhaust in the hopes of having faster spool) but allow you to run lower boost levels to reach your power goal AND give you better mileage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-31-2013, 01:53 PM
Project89's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: utah
Posts: 1,003
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 12
Thanked 37 Times in 34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72 View Post
something around a 60mm T4 type turbo will work- there's a few hundred variations of that though. Its hard to say with no specifics. I will say this though, for a street turbo go with just enough compressor to reach your goals and go with a larger than average exhaust side. It'll spool just as fast as the opposite (people often oversize compressors and undersize exhaust in the hopes of having faster spool) but allow you to run lower boost levels to reach your power goal AND give you better mileage.
a single t4 is way to small for a big block

best cheap reliable turbo u could pick up is a garrett tv7512 u can find these on ebay rebuilt for around 300 bucks


they measure
76mm/102mm ind exd compressor
and most are
99mm/86mm turbine wheels

they are t6 flanged and come in .96- 1.0 and 1.23 ar turbine housings

another option would be the borg warner s480 , i think theese sell right around 680 bucks brand new last time i looked

just be aware these turbos are massive

this is a bw s480


and here is one of my tv7512's nexto a 2 litter bottle


the downpipes on these are 5 inch but u can reduce them to 4 inch

my size 13 foot nexto one of the turbos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07-31-2013, 02:53 PM
How fast is fast enough?
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Age: 29
Posts: 9,476
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 20
Thanked 385 Times in 361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project89 View Post
a single t4 is way to small for a big block

best cheap reliable turbo u could pick up is a garrett tv7512 u can find these on ebay rebuilt for around 300 bucks


they measure
76mm/102mm ind exd compressor
and most are
99mm/86mm turbine wheels

they are t6 flanged and come in .96- 1.0 and 1.23 ar turbine housings

another option would be the borg warner s480 , i think theese sell right around 680 bucks brand new last time i looked

just be aware these turbos are massive
The T4 flange is more than adequate for the volume he will be moving, its somewhat irrelavant if its a big block or a little 4 banger. Also, the T6 is for dual scroll exhaust housings/manifolds.

And those turbos you included are not only massive, but simply way too big and incorrect for the application. He's going for 600hp, not 1,000.

For 600hp a 60mm T4 type is a hair on the small side (though a lot of it depends on the rest of the turbo specs), which will equate to no lag on the street.

Turbos are like cams- bigger may sound better but it just means you'll be making power where you'll never use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07-31-2013, 03:08 PM
Project89's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: utah
Posts: 1,003
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 12
Thanked 37 Times in 34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72 View Post
The T4 flange is more than adequate for the volume he will be moving, its somewhat irrelavant if its a big block or a little 4 banger. Also, the T6 is for dual scroll exhaust housings/manifolds.

And those turbos you included are not only massive, but simply way too big and incorrect for the application. He's going for 600hp, not 1,000.

For 600hp a 60mm T4 type is a hair on the small side (though a lot of it depends on the rest of the turbo specs), which will equate to no lag on the street.

Turbos are like cams- bigger may sound better but it just means you'll be making power where you'll never use it.

umm no

a t6 can be had in divided or open turbine , both of my tv7512's are open
the tv7512 is good for about 650ish before u really push it , its perfect for a simple big block build

even if the turbo has a divided housing it can still be run on an open flange it makes no difference

a t4 76 mm turbo will have a much higher backpresure to boost ratio then a 76mm t6 unles su go with one of the much larger turbine housing options

can u do it with a t4 sure u can but why when the t6 flanged unit will give much less backpresure and not choke the motor out if u decide to turn it up

i didn't see were he listed a hp goal the s480 is bigger and capable of more and if thats all he wants then yes its a lil large but the s480 comes in a few different configurations or u can step down to an s400 which would be a good match just like the tv7512

go look at some 60-66mm turbo compressor maps @ 600 hp most will be way outsided there efficiancy range

Last edited by Project89; 07-31-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 07-31-2013, 03:28 PM
Project89's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: utah
Posts: 1,003
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 12
Thanked 37 Times in 34 Posts
he didnt mention crank or wheel hp so ill assume wheel for now

if that was crank hp it makes the maps look even worse

61mm t4 turbo with target of 750 crank

62-1


70mm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
just want some knowledge badknuckles Hotrodding Basics 1 04-12-2011 05:34 PM
Hi I'm new and value your knowledge!!! wifeseekinginfo Introduce Yourself 2 12-17-2009 03:51 PM
Always Looking For Knowledge...... NUCKINFUTS MTRSPORTS Introduce Yourself 2 03-16-2009 10:31 PM
Too much knowledge here... Kudagra Introduce Yourself 3 10-22-2008 10:20 PM
knowledge fsjimmy Hotrodders' Lounge 0 12-01-2003 12:48 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.