Anyone use a chemical bond to replace/patch panels? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2004, 08:03 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I saw this product used on a car show, can't remember which one.

http://www.coolchem.com/

You can join any thing similar or dissimilar.

You put part "A" on the parts you wanna join, press them together, literally spray the activator on the exposed epoxy and it works its way into the joined pieces and bonds the pieces, and is bonded within seconds. I bet the price wouldn't be easy to swallow but the ease of use is apparant.

It doesn't state whether it could be used in such an application as replacement panel but who knows?

Anyone familliar with the product I am talking about?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2004, 12:03 AM

its extreemly strong stuff, i know of a extended cab chevy ( 91 or so) that had cab corners replaced, it was glued with wurth body panel adhesive, the truck was glued, preped then sat outside, then was tboned right in the center of the truck destroying the area around and including the patch panel. the stuff didnt budge.

this is also good to use in places where the back side of your welded joint is totally unacessable, as it wont rust. if you leave exposed welded metal to live inside a condensation filled pocket of your ride, it will rust very quickly. now, im sure this isnt a concern for ppl down south, but here in canada, the winters are bad, but the fall can be just as bad for an old car, because of the huge temp changes, and large amounts of condensation, i get water issues in my oil in my VW!

it workds well to fit up your panels with a overlap, 1inch or so works fine, diferent products might recomend somthing else. and then just hold them tight together with self taping screws, fill the little holes with whatever u want, but, as others have said, i wouldnt recoment welding them, it will mess up your glue
Old 05-25-2004, 07:05 AM

Re Glueing Panels

I think what you're talking about is a Crazy Glue Type Product...which is great for various interior repairs but I won't recommend for panel repairs or replacement. There is a urethane 2 part product that OEM's have been using made by Ashland Chemicals...It is sold under various names...Pliogrip is one. Its available in Canada at most Jobbers Carquest etc and also in the USA sold by Norton Abrasives called Speedgrip. This stuff has been used in Corvettes since the 70's. You may see the greenish color glue under the hoods if you sand away paint etc. The stuff is amazing...BUT it's important to follow manufacturers directions. For immediate info go to proformproducts.com and see part number PF 7770. Good Luck
Old 07-22-2004, 11:59 PM

What about using the3M glue for doing rear quarter patch panels, splash aprons and such? How much is this stuff and the dispensing tool for it?
Old 07-23-2004, 10:48 AM
Nate

I'll just through my opion in...

I work in construction and we use adhesives every day. Some of the things we use it for is to hold 1" straight anchor bolts in concrete. These bolts hold some serious wieght (upwards of 20,000 lbs).

I think if they can make adhesives work in the heavy construction industry, they can certainly make some strong enough to hold a couple 100lbs of sheet metal, IMO.

Just because something is new, doesn't mean it's bad. But then again I don't know a whole lot about body work, I'm still learning. The one thing to remember is to use the right tool (adhesive) for the job.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:57 PM

I agree with the last post about trying something new. I have built boats out of laminating epoxy, and man, they are incredibly strong. These modern urethanes and epoxies cross link into a lattice type structure at the molecular level. With their adhesion, flexualr modulas and tensile strength, alot of people do not realize how strong they are. I intend to use them if I can find the right price. My local jobber told me today that the dispensing gun for the 3M product wsa $281.00---OUCH I am looking at the PPG brand that has a dispensing unit for about $60.00.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:33 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,029 Posts
It is not the future, it is here and in a big way. I was just talking to the 3M rep today and he told me GM and Ford have oked the use of a certain 3M adhesive for all non stuctural repairs. If it were not for assembly line speed, I am convenced they would be using a heck of a lot more than they do now. A new Jag model has more than any car out there, even the frame rails are bonded in from what I am told.

Click here to see a GM bulletin on using bonding to install a patch in a roof.
Old 07-24-2004, 07:04 AM

Last photo:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MARTINSR
[B]It is not the future, it is here and in a big way.

DITTO!
For you guys that do this at your house or live in a small city where maybe you don't see a lot of sales reps. As martin said its here.
I can remember in 1985 when door-skin adhesive came out a lot of body men were-NO WAY! but if I had to guess, I would be a minimum of 70% of the shops now bond door skins. I would like to say 90% in big city's and 70% in smaller areas but just not sure.

As of the last 5-6 years I see a large amount of shops bonding roof skins, quarter panels and floor boards, trunk pans (a guess of 50%++)
In my garage at any given time I will have 10-15 different cartages and its not structural, it gets bonded.
So much better than welding, well my welding anyway!

A good friend of mine (one of the best bodymen I know) works for a big Toyota dealer as He puts it.
"I save 3 hours labor on roofs and 3-4 hours labor on quarters depending on car and truck quarters sometimes as high as 4 hours. Easy money!

Last edited by BarryK; 07-24-2004 at 07:10 AM.
Old 07-24-2004, 10:06 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,029 Posts
Yep Barry, roofs, man what a life saver. I put a roof on a Lexus LS430 a while a go (we don't see that many roofs around here unless a tree falls on it like this Lexus). Used the STRSW on the pinch welds at the front and rear and bonded the sides, done deal. ZERO warpage, zero filler, and literally stronger than the welds!

On the pickup bed sides, I only use it on the wheel well. Four hours saved huh? Barry, we had a little contest at our shop. With eight bodymen we timed each other on installing bed sides. Now, they have to be the exact some truck to be fair, but one guy had a Toyota Tundra he did in 3.5 hours, total! To be fair though the ones who have done the same late model Chevy trucks, I have the record. 4.5 hours, including pulling the bed off and reinstaling it! We are talking high quality no rushing work. Zero filler, weld thru primer done right. 4.5 hours total in the body shop. By the way, we don't work commission. I don't use bonding to be faster, I use it because it is better. I use it on every wheel well. You just can't protect it up there from corrosion as good welding.

There is a guy on another forum I visit who works at a company who does testing for bonding adhesives. He is so sold on it he is restoring his Chevelle using adhesives to install EVERTHING, rockers, floors, quarters, inner and outer wheelhouses, the works.

When the auto maker gets one that will cure as fast as they get with welding, it will be used throughout every car made.
Old 07-25-2004, 10:38 AM
Tow Chainer

Last wiki edit: Rebuilding an early Hemi engine
Last journal entry: cruise pics
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Well since I posted this I have purchased a Mig a Hobart 140. What prompted me was I cut out the outer dogleg on my 54 and found some rot underneath also. The end of the rocker and wheel well. I couldn't come up with a way to bond them, so went with the welder instead. I may still use the panel bond on the outer panel, as my welds are still kind of ugly, and there are some spots that would bond much easier than welding. we shall see once I get the substructure done.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.