Anyone use a chemical bond to replace/patch panels? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2004, 11:03 AM
Tow Chainer

Last wiki edit: Rebuilding an early Hemi engine
Last journal entry: cruise pics
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Anyone use a chemical bond to replace/patch panels?

I have heard some good things about using a chemical adhesive to put on panels, I think it's called Bond? I have a few small holes to fix and do not weld. I have heard some good things about this product, and wondered if anyone had experience with it. Basically a two part epoxy? applied through a gun. You flare and overlap the panels and it joins them as strong as a weld and keeps out the water.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2004, 02:57 AM
point on positive

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I have noticed that the glue used for door skins has come a ways over the last few years and is strong and sound. I suppose if you have a overlap of a 1/2 inch or so and could keep constant pressure while it sets you'll have success. Sure would be cleaner to work with, no smoke fumes, welders flash etc... new school!
Old 04-02-2004, 08:15 PM
IT'S MY JOB...

I like to glue what I can. I never overlap, as you need too much filler to level. However, I will glue in an insert then glue to that. Nice and level to start. There are many brands out there and most name brands are very good. Your local jobber will have brand specific documentation and TDS info. If for example, I'm doing a one off rod.... I glue. If I'm putting a new quarter on a show 68 Chevelle....I plug weld with insert the sail panel and resistance weld the rest to resemble factory.... Bryan
Old 04-02-2004, 11:22 PM
Tow Chainer

Last photo:

I talked to m my brother in law tonight about what he used, something called fuzor. He put quarter panels on his 67 mustang with it. It's a two part agent with glass bead in it. His opinion is quite high of it. Said it took very little fill to level it out, and no risk of warpage. There was some drilling and screwing to keep it in place till dry then you could remove the screws and weld in the few screw holes.

A problem was if you got any outside the seam, on the metal you had to sand it all off or paint would not stick to it. I'm going to look up some info online on it and get back, but I think I may try this route, and learn to weld a little later on my bigger project.
Old 04-03-2004, 05:41 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Since some of the stuff coming from Detroit has glued on panels, I would think it would work fine. I would have some concerns on welding up screw holes around it. I don't know how the stuff reacts to the heat. You may loose the bond from the heat of the welds. I've seen the guys in the shop use heat guns to take the panels off.
Old 04-03-2004, 10:21 AM

Last photo:

No offense but I think thats the cheap way out. It good to know that a weld will never come unglued(unless your a crappy welder)
Old 04-03-2004, 12:59 PM

Last photo:

I've heard that with welding a body panel, it's prone to rusting and warping......warping is easy enough to work around, by tack welding the whole piece...... but i always worry about rust....

I'm new to body work though.... so not too sure about how big a problem welding is.... But I've heard some good things about this glue stuff as well..... No rust problems.... no warp problems..... Dunno.... I hate rust....

I've got to fix the wheel wells on my car.... and i've been waiting to find out about this glue stuff...... I can weld.... i just would like it to never rust again...
Old 04-03-2004, 01:01 PM
you talkin to me?

the body shop next door uses glues to glue on body panels.
1,5,10,15 minute adhesive glues. very strong stuff.
Old 04-03-2004, 03:25 PM

Last photo:

You wouldn't use glue on your hot rod would you?
Old 04-04-2004, 09:34 AM
Tow Chainer

Last photo:

First I'm worse than a crappy welder, I have never welded successfuly. Also the bond's not coming out till you hit 300 degrees either, at which point your doing it on purpose, OR your car is on fire... I have a couple small repairs on my 54, and the choice now is do it myself quicklly, or pay someone to do it for me, or invest $$$ in a welder, and take a long time to learn to weld.
Old 04-04-2004, 02:32 PM
406 six speed

I used panel bond from 3m on my 66 nova quarters.It worked great.A sure fire way to keep the panel tight to the existing metat is to use deodymium magnets .They hold strong.One on the iste and one on the outside.Placed about 3 inches apart.I used the 1/2 inch magnets found on e-bay.When these magnets are stuck together it is close to impossible to pull them apart.You can also use the smaller ones to hole paper in place when paintig.Amillion uses and they can be reused.
Old 04-04-2004, 03:07 PM
Tow Chainer

Last photo:

How long have you had them on there, any signs to give them away?
Old 04-04-2004, 08:41 PM
406 six speed

sold the car but buyer seems to love the bodywork....2 years later.
Old 04-04-2004, 10:10 PM

I flew a Grumman Tiger for years and it was glued togther, aluminum bonded is what they called it but it was glue. I never had a problem with anything coming off on that so I cannot see you having a problem with using the correct glue on you car. Heck the doors on the chevy's from 88 on have been glued and then the front fender bolted to that.
Like anything else I am sure there is a wrong way to do things so if done wrong I bet you could have problems but what's not like that.
Old 05-14-2004, 03:23 PM

Re: Anyone use a chemical bond to replace/patch panels?

Quote:
Originally posted by Magnus_Jager
I have heard some good things about using a chemical adhesive to put on panels, I think it's called Bond? I have a few small holes to fix and do not weld. I have heard some good things about this product, and wondered if anyone had experience with it. Basically a two part epoxy? applied through a gun. You flare and overlap the panels and it joins them as strong as a weld and keeps out the water.
I have used it many times in the USA...Look for Speedgrip by Norton Abrasives (made by Ashland Chemicals)...This adhesive is used by the OEM's to glue most non-structural parts of vehicles, door skins, roof panels etec etc...one other person mentions various times 1,3, 5,10 etc....it's all the same stuff just different working times depending on your application. This stuff is better than welding for diff reasons ... ie no moisture problems etc
This has been used is Corvettes since the early 70's (as a greenish adhesive)
Enjoy!!

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.