Anyone use this complete spray system to paint a vehicle... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2004, 09:58 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Anyone use this complete spray system to paint a vehicle...

I found and item in harbor freight that is a turbine compressor and spray gun, all in one.

Here is the item, please check it out, as I have a couple of questions to follow, thanks: To view the item hight light and copy this part number

---------> 44677-2rah

and then paste it in the second search funtion on the link below, entitled find item number , or you could write it down and type it in. I tried to link it directly but it would not work, sorry.

http://www.harborfreight.com

This does not have a filter, which is normally required with compressor and painting, wouldn't the fact it makes the air on demand and doesn't store it in a tank, delete the need for a filter?

It claims it can spray all variations of stains and latex paints.

Wouldn't automotive paint fall into the catorgory, as far as thickness and volume of the product, equivalent to a med to thick stain?

Again all thoughts appreciated, and to answer one response I know will come up, renting the spray gun and compressor isn't really and option.

Another response that might come up, why don't I just do the prep and have a shop do the base and clear, that is an option, but I would like to attempt it myself. Thanks

Advertisement

Last edited by 357ford; 02-20-2004 at 10:05 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2004, 02:58 PM

Last photo:

my dad bought a gun like it well it was a Wagner but it looks the same and its a prety good paint gun, essentially its a very low pressure, high volume gun, and the salesperson who sold him claimed it was excelent for painting. Devibillis i think also sells a HVLP gun in simmilar design for automotive paint.
Old 02-21-2004, 03:51 AM

I have used one once. It was a model advertised in car craft or something, for use with auto paint.

I did not care for it at all.

You are looking at ten times the mess/clean-up time, wasted paint in the lines (expensive!) And the one I used sprayed very slowly, so I had to use a warm temp reducer, and it doesn't atomize the paint as fine. This will result in monster orange peel that will take a long time to colorsand and buff.

Where I live there is a place that rents out paint boothes for half day, daily or two day rates. For a bit extra they will even rent out an inexpensive HVLP gun. Its cheap, clean, well lit, and a great alternative for a guy with no compressor or booth.

I would check around for a similar place in your town.
Old 02-21-2004, 06:18 AM

Last photo:

deuce_454

Has your dad had a chance to use the wagner with automotive paint?

Hot Rod Hellion

What do you mean by paint in the lines?

Appreciate the responses, thanks
Old 02-21-2004, 06:50 AM

Not HF

I have not used the HF one, I have an Axis Citation Spray system, and Have had good luck, I havent done any critial finishing with it yet. The gun that came with it is a LEX-Aire the gun alone cost $325.

http://easycarts.net/ecarts/Aircraft...tInc/axis.html
Old 02-21-2004, 07:59 AM

Last photo:

Wow nice setup, however, a bit over the budget I am shooting for. I plan to use the older cheaper paints to avoid the isocyanates exposure all together, so I don't need a fresh air mask just yet. My paint booth is gonna consist of a nice day out in the backyard, . Appreciate the response
Old 02-21-2004, 01:17 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Quote:
Wow nice setup, however, a bit over the budget I am shooting for. I plan to use the older cheaper paints to avoid the isocyanates exposure all together, so I don't need a fresh air mask just yet. My paint booth is gonna consist of a nice day out in the backyard, . Appreciate the response
Why not just shop for a cheaper compressor and a paint gun. Look on EBay. For $69.00 you are not going to get anything that will put out anything close to a decent paint job. And a Wagner will not work with automotive paint. If super cheap is what you are looking for you might try a weed sprayer with some paint reducer. You would get about the same results. Sorry to bust your bubble but if a few hundred is out of the question then rattle cans are about your only option.

Kevin
Old 02-21-2004, 04:40 PM

Last photo:

Rattle cans huh?

Well I will be honest, I have used the duplicolor paints to match tail light covers, and the results were great, can't even tell the difference, compared to the factory paint and its black, used the base coat and clear, after the local auto paint shops tried to tell me the light covers couldn't be painted at all, or wanted to charge me $100 and told me the paint would come of in a couple of weeks, cost me $9 total for sandpaper/base/clear, I didn't even prime it, its been 4 years and looks as good as the rest of the paint, go figure. However, I don't think painting the entire vehicle is realistic or cost effective that route. I will, however, take a look at someones results, if they have in fact painted the entire vehicle with spray cans, and feel the results were good. I guess I could sand the paint as I would anyway, in theory it would work, but run a risk of the different paint canisters being off a shade or two, right? Its a thought I guess.

Appreciate the responses

357ford
Old 02-21-2004, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 357ford
deuce_454

Has your dad had a chance to use the wagner with automotive paint?

Hot Rod Hellion

What do you mean by paint in the lines?

Appreciate the responses, thanks

The airless sprayers usually have some sort of pump that sits on the ground with feed lines that go up to a spray gun, similar to a pressure pot setup.

A paint gun with the cup on it is easier to clean, and less wastefull.
Old 02-21-2004, 05:43 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Hot Rod Hellion
The airless sprayers usually have some sort of pump that sits on the ground with feed lines that go up to a spray gun, similar to a pressure pot setup.

A paint gun with the cup on it is easier to clean, and less wastefull.

Oh, that is were you threw me off, I thought that is what you meant. The one I am looking at has the cup on the sprayer, looks just like a conventional auto paint sprayer. Only line to the spray gun is the low pressure air hose. With that in mind what do you think?

357ford

Old 02-21-2004, 06:25 PM

Hmm. Never seen one just like that. It might work just fine, but I would still be worried about how fast it paints and how well it atomizes the paint...
Old 02-22-2004, 02:50 AM
point on positive

Last photo:

If we can figure out what, "Air inlet size: 1.137'' Nozzle size; 0.70''
is compared to a 1.4mm fluid tip for instance it would be more to digest. At that price it could only be fun to try
Old 02-22-2004, 11:11 AM

Last photo:

Well according to what I found .70 inches would equal 17.78 mm.

N inches X 25.4 = mm

.70" X 25.4 = 17.78 mm

Hmmm, kinda large, huh? Wonder if that sucker could be modified?

357ford
Old 02-22-2004, 02:55 PM
... & Insanity Ensues .....

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

honestly, the best bet for painting on a budget is probably a "BINKS MODEL 7" .... i worked at a collision shop for 5 years and the oldtimers painted just as good with their model 7's as me and the other younger guy could with our sharp platinum and devillbis GTI milenium (both are 450 guns)

get a binks bodel 7, rent or borrow a compressor, and i assure you the guy will be able to paint faster then you can, so as long as you get the hang of it quick, you wont have to worry about the system being "to slow" to get nice results
Old 02-24-2004, 10:08 AM

I have an ancient hand-me-down model 7 that I use as a primer gun. Love that damn thing.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.