Hot Rod Forum banner

Anyone use tall-type velocity stack air cleaners on dual fours?

4K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  loafing1 
#1 ·
I have an Edelbrock performer 650 dual four setup on a RPM Air Gap intake. Looking at these air cleaners (http://www.jegs.com/i/K-N/599/58-1191/10002/-1?parentProductId=743335) and staggering the rear one 1-5/8 higher with spacers. But they have a 9" outer diameter at the air cleaner, which doesn't allow enough room with the dual fours.

Anyone have a tall air cleaner setup like this with dual fours? Pictures?

#2 ·
i think Bill Mitchell, of all people, used a setup like that on his dragster. So, if he did it then.........

What i'm trying to say is that if an engine guru did that, then it might be ok even though they look a little on the small side. He had 2- 4's

i'll try to post the picture, but i'm:

a) lame

b) currently in another "crisis." (as usual)

c) slow, disorganized (see "a" above).

So, i can't guarantee nothin' (i have bad gramer and speling as well)

#3 · (Edited)
Welp, looks like i was able to get it together--temporarily:

So, what i was trying to say is if a smart guy(and i'm not) like brother Mitchell runs them, then the chances are good that they are ok---not too small etc. Because we've all heard that you shouldn't run a too small air cleaner etc. etc. Though these don't look that small if you think about it.

Also, i would like to thank you for bringing up the question because it opens me up to filter possibilities; i was thinking of running a dual tunnel ram (and i can barely tune 1 carb) and i wasn't sure how i would address the filter issue. But this looks like a workable solution.

#4 ·
Thanks and no problem. Those look good. They do look like they'd give a lot of filter space for air flow. I was hoping for something like that with taller stacks but my carbs are just too close together for two separate round air cleaners of any decent diameter. I'm using an oval dual quad air cleaner now but the filter element is pretty narrow. Of course they don't make wider ones that fit, but I'm going to try stacking one on top of the other between the top and bottom metal pieces. It'll double the filter element surface area for air flow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.