anyone use tires for compressor mounting pads? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2006, 08:18 AM
Lost in the 50s!

Last journal entry: time to start body work
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks guys!

I am glad to know that I am not the only one with his compressor (60 gallon upright) still bolted to the pallet it came on. I feel like a member of an elite club now.

It makes it easy to move that way. No matter where it is...it is always in the way for something

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2006, 11:01 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

The pallet is a perfect mount - dampens vibrations, is nice to the floor and compressor, already there so is free, fairly easy to move. What is not to like?
Old 10-03-2006, 11:25 PM

tire-mounted compressor

At the shop, i had mounted a noisy paint shaker to the floor with 1/2'' rubber sheet and it killed the rattle. I needed to mount my home compressor to something simular for anti-theft and anti-walking reasons, and found some stable pads at Tractor Supply for about $30, and had leftover material for many other uses. Keep in mind that a bolted-down unit is harder to snag!
Old 10-06-2006, 06:11 PM

I just bought an old Snap-On compressor with a burned out switch. When calling Brama (the ones who manufacture for Snap-On), I asked what the most common reason for switch contacts burning out is. He told me that running the compressor on the shipping pallet doesn't absorb enough vibration, and that most often leads to burnt out contacts over the years. Just a heads up.

C.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:04 PM
russlaferrera

Last wiki edit: Threading tips
Wiki Edits: 2

compressor mounting pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazz
I just bought an old Snap-On compressor with a burned out switch. When calling Brama (the ones who manufacture for Snap-On), I asked what the most common reason for switch contacts burning out is. He told me that running the compressor on the shipping pallet doesn't absorb enough vibration, and that most often leads to burnt out contacts over the years. Just a heads up.

C.
I do not fully agree with that statement because a very large number of us still have our compressor's on skids with no problems with the pressure control switch. IMO, the environment of the shop, the amount of usage amp draw of the motor, and yes vibration will cause the unit to fail

Those of us on well water systems use the same pressure switch. They last about the same amount of time without the vibration.

As stated above this is my opinion. It is not ment to PO anyone. russ
Old 10-06-2006, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russlaferrera
I do not fully agree with that statement because a very large number of us still have our compressor's on skids with no problems with the pressure control switch. IMO, the environment of the shop, the amount of usage amp draw of the motor, and yes vibration will cause the unit to fail

Those of us on well water systems use the same pressure switch. They last about the same amount of time without the vibration.

As stated above this is my opinion. It is not ment to PO anyone. russ
He wasn't referring to the pressure control switch, but the switch contacts themselves....as for me....this is my first compressor, so I couldn't tell otherwise.

C.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:21 PM
russlaferrera

compressor mounting pads

Quote:
He wasn't referring to the pressure control switch, but the switch contacts themselves....as for me....this is my first compressor, so I couldn't tell otherwise.

C.

Krazz, I hope you know I am Not trying to PO you!

The pressure switch is the gray box (mostly made by Square D Elect.) that has the contacts in it. This switch starts the motor until it reaches the set cut off pressure, then shuts off.

When the air pressure drops to the set cut in pressure , the motor starts the cycle again.

This is the only place there are any contacts that I know of. Should I be wrong I apologize. If I am right I should shut-up LOL russ
Old 10-06-2006, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Krazz, I hope you know I am Not trying to PO you!

The pressure switch is the gray box (mostly made by Square D Elect.) that has the contacts in it. This switch starts the motor until it reaches the set cut off pressure, then shuts off.

When the air pressure drops to the set cut in pressure , the motor starts the cycle again.

This is the only place there are any contacts that I know of. Should I be wrong I apologize. If I am right I should shut-up LOL russ

OK....I'm gettin it now. Being that the pressure switch assembly cost me $55, I'll be mounting mine on some sort of rubber like the dude recommends. Maybe cheap insurance??
Old 10-07-2006, 07:54 AM

Last journal entry: rust on lt body shell
Last photo:

air commpressor

I have a 5 hp 80 gallon tank compressor thats been on the pallet for 20 years. Can't think of a better way to have it. Easy to move which i've done several times in 20 years. works great why mess with perfection?
Old 10-07-2006, 09:42 AM
russlaferrera

compressor

Quote:
OK....I'm gettin it now. Being that the pressure switch assembly cost me $55, I'll be mounting mine on some sort of rubber like the dude recommends. Maybe cheap insurance??

That's installed? Not a bad price. The control is about $20 at a plumbing/electrical supply. Don't want you to get burned.

The tank line screws in the bottom. There are 4 screws, 2 for the motor 2 for the line voltage (power cord). They are well marked. It's the adjustments (cut in pressure and cut out pressure) that takes a little time.

russ
Old 10-07-2006, 05:13 PM

Quote:
That's installed? Not a bad price. The control is about $20 at a plumbing/electrical supply. Don't want you to get burned.

The tank line screws in the bottom. There are 4 screws, 2 for the motor 2 for the line voltage (power cord). They are well marked. It's the adjustments (cut in pressure and cut out pressure) that takes a little time.

russ

Nope, that's the price of the unit alone....guess I should have checked other sources. The motor has a couple of problems as well...mainly, the terminal pad in the back of the motor is broken, and the thermal overload switch is out. I've been checking around for replacement parts, but can't seem to find them. There's a motor repair place down the street from my work, and hopefully they'll have the parts.

C.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:09 PM
russlaferrera

compressor mounting pads

My brain just had a power surge. How about using a truck mud flap or a retread. They are found on most any highway, they are easy to cut, and they are FREE. russ
Old 10-09-2006, 05:52 AM

Last wiki edit: How to document your project
Last journal entry: 1949 Olds -- Rotisserie, pt. 9
Last photo:

My guess for the most common cause of switch burn-out would be trying to use a too-small compressor to do too much. I don't have a single piece of data to support that guess, but it seems a lot more reasonable than vibration as a cause.

My own pressure switch carries just enough current to trip a heavy duty relay (a "contactor") that's built to handle the high current load of the motor. Tank and compressor are sized according to recommendations received on here from oldred and others so that cycle times are reasonable under heavy loads like sanding or HVLP painting.

Russlaferrera mentioned well water systems. I used to have to deal with one and anyone who has will know that if your well pump cycles a lot because there's no air in the tank, your contacts will burn up pretty quickly. That's better than burning up a motor, but either way, you go without water for a while. Typical "jet" pump systems, for shallow wells, have the pressure switch mounted directly to the motor. Vibration won't burn 'em out but lots of cycling will.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:03 AM

Last photo:

power loss

just want to throw my 2 cents in on the pressure switch. i feel the main cause of this failure is that there is a voltage loss during operation. this will cause extra heat on the contacts they will burn and or weld together. you don't see this on a well pump because the wiring is a short run. but if the compressor is in a barn and its 100 feet away there can be a voltage drop while the unit is under power. so the guy who had it before you might not of had the correct service feeding the compressor. so check the size of the wire that feeds you compressor, keeping in mind that if there is a long wire run that the wire gage will need to be larger. i added a link to a calculator to help you figure out if the is a voltage drop.
chez
http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm
Old 10-17-2006, 01:34 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

How the compressor is mounted to the floor has zero bearing on the vibration signal the pressure switch receives. I think you had a defective switch in the first place. My pallet mounted compressor has the same switch it came with 15 years ago and has seen the compressor wear out and need a new reed valve over that time but it is still going like new.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.