is anyone using biodeasel? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2005, 11:31 AM
here to learn

Last journal entry: finishing up the skirts
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

is anyone using biodeasel?

i heard about it not too long ago and i've been thinking about it ever since. i saw how its made and all the benefits, including the price, and i was wondering if any one here was using it. how cheap it was to make, how well their car or truck runs on it, and so on.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2005, 02:10 PM
Mem3er!

Last photo:

I remember they made some on a show called "trucks" with some kit they bought and the truck seemed to actually do better with the bio diesel than regular diesel.

I have read that bio diesel can cost anywhere from $.50 to 3.00 a gallon depending on how you make it and what is avialible to you. Also there is a slight 5% decrease in power but it's easier on the engine.

Heres some links to site about bio diesel

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html (how to make your own)
http://www.biodiesel.org/pdf_files/f...monlyAsked.PDF (a FAQ on biodiesel)
http://www.biodiesel.org/resources/faqs/default.shtm (another one)

and heres a whole site devoted to bio diesel

http://www.biodiesel.org/

Last edited by inspiron; 07-21-2005 at 02:29 PM.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:13 PM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

I dunno what you would call this:
But a freind of mine told me his buddy owns a buissness and needed to save money cause Diesel was killing him.
I guess he takes old fryer oil from restaurants.Mixes it something like 10gals fryer oil to 2 gallons diesel and strains it and whatever else.Then mixes this oil/diresel mix,50/50 with pump diesel.
I guess it works.
Kinna makes ya think about cheap ways to get around gasoline.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:13 AM

same vision

i saw its on tv,thats why i want to try,but i face problem to find the stuff.mainly, what they call it Lye.i never heard of that.may be in our country it is cheapper to make it, cos our main exsport is a palm oil.if u have the information in details(making BioD.)pls.let me know.thanks.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:41 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Here is a link

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=biodiesel lots of info out there..

Lye is used in the process to help modify the oil into diesel..should not be all that hard to get..

Sam
Old 03-25-2006, 09:02 AM

Last photo:

I think that the original diesel motors were made by a peanut farmer to run on peanut oil. So it would only make sense that that oil/diesel mix would work. I think that the bio diesel is also easy on the motor, but not to sure on that.

John
Old 03-25-2006, 10:04 AM
"May the Schwartz be with you"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: Finally getting going...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78 monte
Kinna makes ya think about cheap ways to get around gasoline.
Remember the Flintstones?

I recall reading about some guy that was running his motorcycle on peanut or soybean oil. I guess he would ride it back and forth the entire length of the country.

I have heard some good things about the alternative fuel systems that are out there. They can run on used cooking oil like mentioned above. I heard somewhere that the vehicle smelled like french fries (that would be kinda interesting...smelling food all the time).
Old 03-26-2006, 01:33 AM

Last wiki edit: Suspension: designs, shapes, sizes Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjas66
i saw its on tv,thats why i want to try,but i face problem to find the stuff.mainly, what they call it Lye.i never heard of that.may be in our country it is cheapper to make it,
for everyones info
lye is a strong base be careful with it
you can buy powdered lye at some hardware stores as a concentrated drain cleaner.
Or you could make your own from potash

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_hydroxide
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_hydroxide

Hydroxide is your friend in making glycerin/glycerol (which is what is created when fat is reacted with lye. glycerol being when it is suspended in alcohol) Also I'm just going to note here anyone who sees the relationship between glycerin and the famous explosive (and heart medicene) which contains the prefex nitro, should not look anyfurther into production of this related substance, you will most likely die or injure yourself.

here is the biodesiel process explained
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biodiesel_production
Old 03-26-2006, 05:47 AM
That 6 Cylinder Guy

Last photo:

I've been researching the bio diesel thing myself,my wife works at a local restauraunt and I have a few hundred gallons of waste vegetable oil from the deep fryers,I currently heat my shop with it.
I collect it in 5 gallon pails,and 3 or 4 gallons will keep my shop warm all day in the winter here in B.C.

Converting the oil to diesel is costly,and you end up with lanolin and other impurities which must be disposed of,but I've found that waste vegetable oil can be used in any diesel engine as is,as long as it is filtered good and heated to reduce viscosity first.
A german named Rudolph Diesel invented the engine and designed it to run on veg. oil.
To run it on an engine you must have two fuel storage tanks,and a heat exchanger to heat the oil so it will run thru the pumps and injectors.
You start the engine on regular diesel and run it up to temperature,then switch to oil when it is hot enough to run,also before shutting down the engine you must switch back to diesel to purge the lines and injectors and burn any impurities such as lanolin from the fuel system and combustion chamber,and have the lines and injectors full of diesel ready to start next time.

I am currently working on a heat exchanger,using an oil cooler from a large diesel engine,using the hot water from my 400 CAT motor in my peterbuilt to heat the oil so I can run it in the truck and my diesel compressor(check my photos).

I hope to be using the system by this summer,will post pics and results when I have it up and running.

The restauraunts in this town actually have to pay someone to take their used oil,and it has more energy per pound than diesel so mileage should be better with it.

Another thing some of you might find interesting is that truckers and trucking companies have been adding their used engine oil to their fuel for years now.
The new caterpillar engines have an extended service option that has a 10 gallon oil reserve tank,and every so many miles or hours a preset ammount of oil is taken from the crankcase and added to the fuel system and burned,at the same time,that same ammount of new oil from the reserve tank is put back into the crankcase,so the oil is constantly being changed,you just change the filters every ten thousand miles or so.
No more waste oil to dispose of.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:39 AM

Last photo:

Hope your 400 cat is an old girl 'cause bio diesel here plays merry hell with cdi benzs, hdi pugs and efi cummins - short filter and injector life. Use it on old 903's,8v71's or 3406/8 cats etc otherwise grief will follow.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:42 AM
That 6 Cylinder Guy

Last photo:

Yep,it's a 79 3406 "A" model 400,a perfect candidate for oil.
Reduced filter life is not a problem considering the money that can be saved.
The old cat injectors are replaceable nozzles and are almost undestuctible anyway.
And I wont be running bio diesel,but straight waste vegetable oil,filtered and heated.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:03 AM
bentwings

Last photo:

Here in Minnesota we have b-2 at the pumps whether you want it of not. You can get up to b-100 at a few select places and more b-20 is available if you look around. It's still the same price +/- a little.
As for how it runs... this was the first year I have ever had fuel filter problems but when it get down to -20 F you can be sure the fuel filter is going to slow delivery down. I pulled one out in -20 weather outside and it was like yellow slime. I save the filter in a plastic bag and now at 45 deg it is fine...not that I'll put it back in. The cure is just make sure you have a very fresh filter in when the really cold hits. The fuel pressure will be down untill the fuel heats up but it will come up.
By the way I have a secon gen 24 valve Cummins. My work buddy has a 3rd gen and he had the same problem. The Powerjoke didn't make it to work at all and the Duramax just barely made it.
I think Fleetgard is coming out with a new filter but whether it is for this or not is not known.
Somebody will make inexpensive fuel heaters before long or we will have to make our own.

As far as real bio-diesel home made. Here it is a tough row to hoe. The big reclaimers have about sewed up the market for waste oil unless you have an inside line. It's about 60 cents a gallon to process it plus what ever it costs for heating and waste oil. In the summer you can use all you want but winter is another story unless you have a fuel heater.
Using raw filtered waste oil with all the necessary tanks heaters and crap and just sucks as far as I can see and is a good way to mess up your fuel system.
The other thing is road tax . Right now I'm not sure and neither is the state. I got "dipped" a couple weeks ago and asked about it and the guys said if it ain't yellow don't put it in your tank. Not only that He dipped the 2 5 gallon cans of diesel I had in the back as well as the red gas can. I didn't think they could do this but the slip I got said they can test any container in the vehicle. You just can't be cited unless the fuel is red in the truck supply tank. Since the trooper was standing right there you could probably be assured of being dipped later if there was red fuel in any containers.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:15 AM

Last photo:

A hunting friend runs 80/20 hydraulic oil/diesel in his 78 land cruiser, he says perforemance is unchanged 'cause it never had any.
It's hard to start under -8c, but being tight and with free used oil he puts up with it. My 82 Range Rover on propane costs me no more to run, it also starts and runs - always.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:08 AM
That 6 Cylinder Guy

Last photo:

I spent over fifteen grand on fuel for my rig last year,if I can even save half of that it would be more than worthwhile,as well as as an interesting project,the truck already has dual tanks,just need to make up the heaters,as for messing up fuel systems,it wont be a problem if started and purged with diesel afterwards.
Ever seen summer diesel at forty five below zero,it looks like jello,but once warmed up everything runs fine again,and being as I run my truck only in the summer months,I wont have that problem.

And heres another thought,maybe a guy should use an oil filter to filter it instead of a fuel filter,I'm checking into it.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:19 AM
waynenewtoneVil

Last journal entry: plans
Last photo:

A guy I work with tried a tank full in his Dodge. Since it's a Dodge, the fuel gauge dont work... Needless to say, he ran out of fuel. He got 3mpg less than with regular diesel, and paid the same $$$ per gallon. I haven't used it myself, but probably never will.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.