Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Anyone Welder shopping?
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2006, 12:43 AM
Blown 468

Wiki Edits: 0

Anyone Welder shopping?

I have been shopping for a new welder for 2 months now, did a lot of research talked too a lot of people, my best friend is a welder of about 20 years now, I called him he said Miller period. My old welder was a Snap On 250 amp, PIECE OF JUNK almost since new, the motor that drives spool wire went bad have been waiting 8 weeks for it now. I got tired of waiting, I bought a Miller Matic 251 UNBELIEVABLE the thing is the best welder i have ever used, and i tried Holbart, Mac tools, etc. The Miller came complete except gas bottle, even a video that shows how too set it up and some welding training. This thing has digital gauges for voltage & wire speed, instead of clicking to the next heat setting you turn a knob so you have all that in between also, very fine tunning. I just got done welding on a quater panel on a 64 Chevy 2 the welds are awsome very little grinding before filler, no burn thru, it has a chart inside side door showing recomended heat & wire speed for different metal thickness, and for different wire diameter. You can switch roller around for 0.30 wire or 0.35 wire in seconds 3 year warranty very very nice welder thought i would pass this on buying a welder is a big investment, take you're time. This welder will do 22 gauge to 1/2 inch in a single pass I do mostly body work, and Restorations, some times roll cages I did try it on 1/4 " plate awsome.