Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - anything better than oven cleaner?
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2003, 05:37 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

If Purple Power strips paint I don't think you would want to risk messing up your new paint job.

I have used Gunk many times over the years to clean up an engine compartment. If fact, I use it every spring to clean the engine bays of our daily drivers. You don't have to worry about it messing up your paint job, just try to minimize sloppong outside of your engine compartment. It works best if the engine is completely warmed up before you spray it on. Leave it set a couple of minutes and then pressure wash the engine compartment working from top to bottom.

If your engine has the original paint you might find some of it comes off when power cleaning but you can always carefully detail and paint after cleaning. Not the easiest thing to do but if you take your time, mask carefully and then install new wires, plugs and remove and repaint brackets and pullys, etc. you should end up with a really nice job. Don't worry about any paint you might get on the cast iron manifolds. They painted them from the factory with the engine but it burns away very soon. Use Calynx dressing to detail the cast iron manufolds after the paint burns off.

Don't use gas, you don't want to risk a fire. Good luck.

[ May 21, 2003: Message edited by: Axelrod ]</p>