Anything wrong with this engine combo?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2007, 10:03 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Anything wrong with this engine combo??

hey all, I'm building a budget SBC to go into a jeep scrambler, It will have a manual tranny behind it (SM465) and and Rv cam, Most of the work will be handled by the local machine shop, and this engine will probably never be rev'ed higher than 4500, so here is my combo, let me know if anything is wrong\

late 70's 350 block 2 bolt main, stamped conv.
block came out of a 1977 blazer, had a 4brl on it.
Bored, honed etc.
oil holes debured
crank checked
rotating assembly balanced
stainless valves/rebuild 441x heads
rebuilt q-jet
heads/intake port and gasket matched
RV flat tappet hyd. cam 206/214 with 430 lift intake/450 ex.
Edelbrock performer manifold,

exhaust will be handled by whatever manifolds will fit in the jeep frame, and some more quiet performance mufflers,
I am hoping for around 320 horse, with around 400 torque

Also, how much should i shave off the heads/block if i want to decrease the chamber size but still get a streetable compression???

thanks

Advertisement

Last edited by Scott2112; 03-04-2007 at 10:07 PM. Reason: forgot to mention
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2007, 10:38 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

What's the static compression ratio?
Old 03-04-2007, 10:44 PM
GM Tech

Last photo:

I would go with a 383 for more torque-torque is what you are looking for unless blasting through mud is all you want to do with the Jeep. You also don't want overly high compression for low speed crawling.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:05 AM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Sounds like you're pretty close to where you want to be depending on compression and camshaft. What is the exact cam? Need to know advertised duration and Lobe Seperation Angle also. What do you mean by "streetable compression"? Any compression ratio is streetable IF you can get the right fuel. Do you mean you want it to run on 87 Octane? What piston configuration are you running, flat tops with valve reliefs or dished? Your "Dyanmic Compression Ratio" is going to be the deciding factor, to figure that we need to know the above items plus what head gaskets you are using and the deck height of your pistons, in other words how far down in the cylinder is the flat of the piston from the top of the block when they are at TDC?
Old 03-05-2007, 07:01 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

if you shave the 441 heads .060" (70cc) and use the felpro steel shim .015" head gasket, flat top pistons (1.56" compression height) stock block your cr will be 9.7:1. You'll probabily need 92 octane gas for max performance. You won;t make 320hp unless you port the heads. You won't make 400ft/lbs without long tube headers. I believe there is a generic header that fits SBC's in Jeeps. Other than that the combo looks fine.
Are you interested in doing it a slightly different way and saving a lot of money? Same or better results.

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 03-05-2007 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:17 PM
Some Punk Kid

Last photo:

I dont think you will get that much power with that combo even at the flywheel especially at that RPM.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:14 PM

update

Ok, to answer some questions, I was going to go with a 383 kit, but I already have the flywheel for the 350 and don't feel like buying another. So 383 is out unless someone is going ot give me a deal on a kit.

I know that power output can be manipulated, and that the numbers can be fudged easily, but several different sources list similar power output with very similar combos, only thing different was headers and a holley instead of a q-jet

I have no idea what static compression ratio is, but I was going to stick with flat top pistons, with the four valve reliefs unless I find something better cheap. I would love to run 87 octane swill , but if i have to run 92 that is ok also cause the jeep will be a weekend warrior,

thanks again for all your input!!!

ps the cam is listed in summit racing it is a lunati truck advenger, part number lun-90350lk
Old 03-05-2007, 09:53 PM
Some Punk Kid

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2112
Ok, to answer some questions, I was going to go with a 383 kit, but I already have the flywheel for the 350 and don't feel like buying another. So 383 is out unless someone is going ot give me a deal on a kit.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...61559_-1_10185

350 Journal crank with 3.750 stroke Internal balance 2pc seal. Decent price. 383 and you can keep your flywheel.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.