Anyway of distinguishing metal types? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2003, 07:18 AM
Murderator

Last journal entry: It wasn't quite out...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post Anyway of distinguishing metal types?

Was looking at the polishing HOW TO--and also considering that there are some types of metal you're not supposed to weld because it lets off toxic crap...

How can you tell if someone gives you a piece of scrap sheetmetal?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2003, 09:38 AM

I have been welding for 47 years and there isn't any metal that doesn't give off some toxic fumes. Lead is the worst but others are bad also. Mild steel sheet metal is not so bad if it doesn't have any coatings on it such as Galvanise or Epoxy coatings, even some paints are bad. My advice is to clean the metal by grinding off all coatings and vent the area and weld it...GlennK
Old 03-05-2003, 11:10 AM
Murderator

Last photo:

Isn't galvenized steel like stuff you want to avoid welding?

that's what I'm really worried about, getting some scrap sheetmetal from work, and they have no idea what it is, and neither do I.

Don't want to kill myself in the process of learning.
Old 03-05-2003, 11:50 AM

Yes, galvanized is bad, but you can grind the galvanizing off on both sides and weld it with little or no zinc fumes. you only have to grind the weld area approx. 1 1/2 inches on both sides and it should be pretty safe. I think some of the epoxy coatings are worse than the galvanized. At any rate clean it good and you should be ok, orjust go and buy raw sheet metal from the steel supply and then you have no worries. If I worried about every piece of steel I welded I probably wouldn't have welded any thing together and I have welded almost every alloy known to man and welded nearly every working day. Tig..Mig. stick..Oxy-acetylene..Silver braze...Nearly all of it..I am 66 years old and retired and still welding in my garage and building chassis and what ever else I need to weld... I loved it when I started and I still love it. One day it may kill me but til then...Weld On....GlennK..
Old 03-05-2003, 02:31 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

As said above welding fumes of any kind aren't much fun. Steel is ok, zinc galvanize fumes aren't toxic - no long term health risk - but breating the fumes will cause the "galvanize fever" - a few hours after breathing them you sill swear you have the flu! Goes away over night. Cadmium plating is another story. It will do permanent damage so be very careful if it. Best bet is to do as advised above and clean any coating off the steel well clear of the heat affected zone and you won't have any problems. Also, if you leave the coatings, they will pollute the weld and the joint will be significantly weakened. Also, use a fan to keep fresh air circulated into your environment reqardless of what you are welding. Can get a great box fan @ Walmart for about $20.

One thing you can check is whether it is alloy steel or mild steel. Grinding sparks for mild steel are red balls whereas alloy steel gives off bright red or white star shaped sparks. The latter must be welded the heat treated or will be brittle and prone to crack.

[ March 05, 2003: Message edited by: willys36@aol.com ]</p>
Old 03-05-2003, 04:39 PM
Murderator

Last photo:

So, best practices...regardless of whether the metal is painted/rusted or not...grind the weld area and I should be good to go?

Sounds easy enough. Thanks for your time gentlemen. One of these days I'll have some pictures to show for all these newb questions.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.