Hot Rod Forum banner

AOD to 302 kickdown adjustment

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  JeffB 
#1 ·
Hi guy's, I have a 1954 ford pick up with a 302 ford and AOD tranny and I noticed the kick down cable looks like its really loose at the carb. The cable is a Lokar and the carburator is a 600 series Edelbrock. There appears to be about a half inch of play and the kick down doesn't even start actuating until the carb is at three quarters throttle. can anyone tell me the procedure to set the kickdown. bill

#2 · (Edited)
To properly set the AOD cable as per the instructions you first need to bring it up to operating temperature then with the idle at about 700 RPM adjust the cable so there is zero slack with a gauge in the pressure port you should have 0-3 PSI. With the tool that came with the LOKAR cable installed pressure should be 30-35 PSI here is a how-to video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZwsQViZilQ Look at the picture below,sometimes the Lokar return spring is too weak Lokar is aware of this but have not fixed the problem and here is a fix in the picture.

Attachments

#3 ·
AOD adjustment

Jeff, thanks alot. this cable was completely out of adjustment. I installed the spring as the picture shows and the ferrel on the cable was still a quarter inch from the stop. I don't recall the tool being in the kit from Lokar, but it could have been, I'll have to see if I can fine one. I don't think there is any damage as I was leary of the way it looked and I decided to check before I got it out on the road. bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.