AOD to 312 57 T-bird - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2005, 03:14 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

AOD to 312 57 T-bird

I wrote in a while ago about this project and here is an update.
Its just to simple to do! This was done with the Bernstein adapter.MN

The engine and trans is now in the car. I'm impressed with the precision in witch these parts were made and the fit.
This was a pretty simple job biggest pain in a** was using a 3 inch grinder to make sure starter had clearance in the aod. Just tedious is all, grind and fit and grind more.
Second pain was the TV cable, I bought the locar kits and poor instructions but figured it out and than said after seeing it I can make a better holder myself so took apart and made my own bracket.
The driveshaft fit in AOD and is perfect length, so that was a plus.
If you switch the front motor mount around the trannie mount will line up with existing hole but to drop the AOD pan in future you would have to jack up trans a few inches.
So, I have decided tonight I'm going to cut the front part of the piece that the trans mount bolts to and add a mount on the back. This is not necessary but in my book it will be a neater installation and easy to get pan off.
The mount is not structural and is only a piece of plate mounted to frame with a weld.
Old linkage works fine but cannot put in low, it would be easy to modify this but I don't need low as it starts there anyway.
I have not even looked at speedo cable yet, so may have to order one for AOD.

This is an easy installation but requires many checks and rechecks to make sure everything is right. I ordered a built AOD (level 1 up to 350 hp) with lock up torque converter from the transmission center in LA and had to buy locar kit and trans cooler and lines so at this point I have about $1800 invested and maybe 20 hours of work with about one hour of cutting and welding and 3 more hours left of hook-ups.

Last time i posted i said I would take pictures, well its to easy of a job and i saw nothing that needed a picture. On regulars ford may not even need to pull engine but the T-bird an auto trans is not coming through the Xframe for sure.
Barry

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2008, 02:24 PM

Last journal entry: Progressing...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Shifter

Barry,

I take it you used the original shifter? Was it a painful ordeal to get everything synced up?

Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.