aod carb problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2002, 12:20 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post aod carb problem

I am having a time with a 1986 full size bronco. It had EFI from the factory(late production date) I have since installed a 302 with a carb. I have since then wore the 302 out. Now I have built a real sweet 351w and all is well. The problem is: The truck will not shift out of first gear. It shifts from park to reverse and park to drive and will pull pretty strong, but will not shift to second. Also on several occasions the truck acts like the transfer case is in nuetral as "No pressure". It also did this when it was wenched down off of a slider type wrecker, for about 2 minutes and then went into gear but still don't shift out of first Also, if second gear is selected it makes no difference in the engine,it stays in first. I had the same problem with the "TV" cable when I installed the 302 and I hope I have not burnt the transmission up. I have adjusted the cable and test drove(1/8 mile or less each time) probably 50 times with no luck. The truck has a 351w and AOD transmission,Holley 650 vac secondaries, Edelbrock Performer intake, RV type cam. I would appreciate any information, even if it states I have burnt the transmission. I hope not because I don't really trust anyone around here. They are all out to "retire" on one job. mailto:webzon@worldnet.att.net

Thanks, Johnny

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2002, 02:47 AM

Johnny - I'm in the midst of a 302/ AOD swap in a 51 F1 -- i called bauman Engineering in NC 864 646 8920 10-5 EST they know the AOD, have parts and don't mind answering questions. DK
Old 06-05-2002, 05:22 PM

Not to up on fords do they have vacuum modulater you might try that,kick down rod or cable adjustment,or your shift valves in your valve body,these are a few things that wont break the bank.if it is in your valve body drop your pan and then your valve body lay it out on a table and disasemble pulling out each of the valves laying them by each hole they came out of.there should be little pins holding some of them in pushing the valve in slightly taking a magnet on a small rod to pull the pins out and also plates holding them in.clean each valve reinstall with petrolium jelly making sure all valves move easily inside valvebody and if some feel like there sticking rap on the valvebody with a plastic screw driver handle on both sides of the ones thats sticking that should free them up.hope this helps(wrenchturner) PS replace valvebody and transfer plate gaskets to.

[ June 05, 2002: Message edited by: wrenchturner ]

[ June 05, 2002: Message edited by: wrenchturner ]</p>
Old 06-05-2002, 05:48 PM

Just rebuilt my aod in the '32 A. Was having with it down shifting. Once it got into second, third, od it wouldn't shift down. I could be cruising at 40 mph in od, and Could put my foot to the floor and it wouldn't downshift, and in od you don't accelerate fast at that low a speed. A good friend that does racing tranny came over and we pulled the pan off, we found the broken shift down (inside the tranny) and broken clutch pieces in the bottom of the pan and the fluid was filthy. It was inline for a complete rebuilt. Take your tranny to a place that does rebuilds in shop, not those exchange program places that just put in a different one, and have them pull the pan and do a simple inspection. Your AOD should be w/o electronics. C-4 and C-6 trannys are vacuum auto shifted but the AOD is throttle position shifted. You probably know this but it sounds like there might be something else going on inside your tranny. You said you don't trust anyone but you are going to have to find someone really good with transmissions because if you don't get that cable adjusted, you will burn up the next tranny.
Old 06-08-2002, 05:54 PM

Last photo:

John it sounds like you may have Internal Trans problems but where you changed a engine, you may have created some problems.

First check trans fluid for color (brown and burnt) smell and fluid level if ok.

Check gear selector to see if you can feel the trans dents when you shift from gear to gear ie Park to Reverse and so on. If it doesn't feel right, you need to adjust the manual linkage. Put trans in neutral and gear selection in netrual to make adjustments. This may be due to different engien mounts ot worn out trans mount or cab mounts. Also check govner at tail shaft of trans. Check cover for dents and repair if any. Remove cover and remove govner and check to see if gear on the govner is stripped and check the valve inside the govner is free to move, by shaking or by pressing on the end with the weights and springs. A sticking valve or a stripped gear will cause an no shift.

The tv cable sounds ok, you usually set the tv pressure by using a guage and adjusting the cable until the correct pressure is set. The way you set the tv cable will get you by. But in correct setting of the tv cable can be hard on your transmission and burn it up.

Also check the trans pan if you used a jack on it when installing your engine (if you dented the trans pan bad you may have cracked the filter and maybe causing the problems) alot of trans are now plastic.

Also when you install your engine on to the trans, were the torque converter stud loose. You should have some movement from side to side and make a rattle noise on the fly wheel when you move it. If you couldn't move it, you may have damage the trans pump due to improper a linement on the tortque converter to crank. If everything checks out ok, you probablly have a torn seal or a harden seal and you will have to have it rebuilt. Hopefully this info will help you and good luck.
Old 06-08-2002, 05:58 PM

Last photo:

Johnny i forgot to tell you to put the emergency brake on when adjusting the gear selector. for safty reasons.
Old 12-13-2002, 09:56 AM

Do not know the answer to you problem. But please let me know if you get any as I have 70 mustang with same problem. Fresh 351w and AOD. Mine will not shift out of first either. Any info you or anyone can pass along would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks ronv
Rvesterby1@aol.com
Old 08-01-2003, 06:07 AM

AOD probs

And the answer was?
Old 08-03-2003, 08:07 AM

Last photo:

Try checking the governor it could be stuck. It's not that hard to get at . Pull off the tail housing and there it is. Also make sure your pressure is right on the TV port.Good luck ..Lash

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.