AOD lost 4th gear - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2002, 02:16 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post AOD lost 4th gear

hi!
I have a cobra replica "built" (or how ever you may call it!?#!) by everett morrison FL :-(
...the AOD came from "performance automatic" in maryland....it has a separate oil cooler....and a part I do not know!...A "STOCK converter".....is that a torque converter?.........I m a newbie with us-cars and their parts;-) but after having a lot of probs with the cobra I'm tryin my best to get the car finished...
...my biggest problem now is the AOD.....I m missing my fourth gear....it switches to neutral at about 60mph...everytime I drive on OD!!.....I can't go fast on the autobahn---the only way to drive 60mph is to drive at 4000rpm all day long;-)......so what can I do??.....nobody round here knows about AOD at all.....where can i get good books about
AOD?....or is there anything in the internet??.....I "tried" to talk to performance automatic.....but they were not that helpfull-----he only told me to "hook up the vacuums to the modulator!" and hang up!!!!....but I don't know at all where I have to look....and what I have to do...other people told me to check the tv cable....but how???.....you see!!!.....I have a lot of questions!!!!.....can anyone help me please??

thnx,
and greetings from germany;-)

-florian-

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2002, 03:03 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Contact these guys. They specialize in overdrive transmissions (GM but maybe they know the Fords too or can aim you in the right direction) and have always been a great help to me.

http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com
Old 10-14-2002, 03:11 PM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Thumbs up

Remind me to ignore Performance Automatic from now on...I live about fifteen miles from them.

Do you have any idea what year AOD it is? Can the kit car manufacturer tell you? It could be either a TV misadjustment or internal damage. In fact, the longer you drive it, the more damage that will be done. How does the fluid smell?

If supplied technical information, is there someone that you can trust to work on it?

-Source Of Shop Manuals-[/b]</a>

<a href="http://www.baumannengineering.com/]-Source of Info And Parts-

I will be glad to help you all I can.
Old 10-14-2002, 03:55 PM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

KULTULZ wrote

( It could be either a TV misadjustment or internal damage. In fact, the longer you drive it, the more damage that will be done. How does the fluid smell?)

AMEN
Old 10-14-2002, 09:33 PM
Ford Freak

Last photo:

if your car will simply not shift into OD no matter what, then its burnt up.

If the tranny was put back together in completely stock form (im assuming) with a stock converter and a supercharged 5.0 (from your name) Im guessing that your engine simply makes too much power for your tranny. AODs can only handle so much power, after that they start to fail, usually the OD goes first, then third, second, and so on. SO, if your tranny is junk now, you CAN still salvage it with a good rebuild kit. What i recommend is to get an aftermarket input shaft and OD band. You can get both of these parts from Artcarr.com. You have two choices for the input shaft
1) Solid, non lockup-up to 800hp
2) Aftermarket lockup- up to 450hp
Basically in stock AODs, the input shaft will shatter sending pieces through the tranny. YOu can buy a solid one, but will lose the lockup feature in OD which would have given you better gas mileage. THe good thing is that it'll handle much more power and just from the imput shaft change ALONE you will gain an additional 40-50hp at the wheels
If you choose to keep the lockup feature, you could buy that aftermarket one made of 300M steel. Although it can't take as much power and you won't gain that extra hp, you will keep the lockup feature for better mileage.
Old 10-15-2002, 03:22 AM

http://www.baumannengineering.com/aodcat.htm
These guys have parts and are helpful on the phone
Good luck
Old 10-15-2002, 03:40 AM
aka Duke of URL

Unhappy

Well...

The way I read it is that it falls out of OD. That could be one of two problems;
  • Mis-adjusted TV linkage, or;
  • Direct clutck leakage.

The trick is that the trans is part of a kit car assembly and to service properly, one needs to know what modifications have been made. He has already stated that Performance Automatic has refused to talk to him so hopefully the kit car assembler will have on file the modifications that have been done.

Even if you have the service manual in front of you (remember, this guy is in Germany) and things start coming out that don't correspond to the service illustraions/instructions, it only makes the diagnosis/repair worse.

That is why I would recommend the proper year FORD service literature with an open E-mail to Baumann (or if it turns out he has had a total service failure) an exchange transmission assembly.
Old 10-15-2002, 12:29 PM

AT FIRST!!!!
YOU GUYS are GREAT!!....thnx a lot!!!....I was thinkin about burnin the car down....but there's some hope now again.... :-)

...and thnx for ignoring my bad english ;-)

....but the problem is....everett morrison is bancrupt!!!...out of business or how you call it?!

!!!how can I find out what year the tranny was made?? !!!!

...performance automatic did only the aod!!....the only thing I know, it's an aod...at first I thought it s a new one....but when I looked under the car...oh my gosh!!...oil all over....I did not know that...in the US you can order "re"manufactured parts.....like trannies and alternators and so on.....we do not know that in germany like that....I thought they build the aod fitting to my 400hp!!because I ordered it for a 400hp cobra!!......*tss!! ;-)...Is it possible after repairing it.....to make it "stronger"...or or will it be damaged all the time???
(I don't wanna tell here what I paid for that *****!!)
....but my question now is.....Is it possible to adjust the tv cable myself....perhaps it is not installed at all....everett-morrison works like that!! ;-)....or will it be expensive???......about how much...in the best\worst case???......I m drivin the car with this problem now for about 300miles!....but before I drove only 200miles with the tranny.....and that was it for the aod???.....I can't believe that!!!??.....tranny damage after 500miles!!

thnx!!
....and keep rollin!!!!!
Old 10-15-2002, 02:37 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

These AOD trans are great but if they are not tuned properly, they will burn up in very few miles. No, you can't install the cable by guessing. Again, I suggest you contact one of the companies listed in prior notes. The ONLY way to properly set up the trans is to follow factory guidelines precisely.
Old 10-15-2002, 03:50 PM
aka Duke of URL

Arrow

There is (was) a metal Trans. I.D. tag from the factory attached to either the oil pan or servo cover. This will identify the assembly and get you into the correct service parts list.

Most likely that has been tossed. What kind of engine/fuel delivery do you have?

-Here-[/b]</a> is a brief instruction sheet on adjusting the TV rod or cable.

The special service tool(s) are available from
www.fordrotunda.com or <a href="http://www.otc.spx.com]-OTC-

The pressure gauge can be bought from another source much more cheaply.

If after adjusting the TV, the trans will not shift properly, you most likely have internal damage and the best thing to do is speak with Baumann.
Old 10-15-2002, 06:35 PM

AODs cant take much... I was wrecking stockers with a bone stock 5.0 and 150 horse of nitrous... the converters and the direct clutch are usually the first to got, followed by the input shaft... A c4 is far cheaper, a c6 if ur making taht much power, i think they make a 5.0 to c6 adaptor palte...
Old 10-16-2002, 01:29 PM

thnx again guys!!!....in a few hours I can take a look under the car again!!....I will look for the plate of the trans..at first I will order a service manual for the aod... ..and then --&gt;contacting automatic performance again---&gt;BAUMANN....I hope they can help me because I m in germany...but for me it seems to be a hobby...drivin a AOD....always trouble with adjustment and so on!!!......how much would it be about to change to manual tranny?....I m thinkin about repairing the AOD in order to sell it?!?
Old 10-16-2002, 02:56 PM
Ford Freak

Last photo:

well, based on what has been posted, im gonna say that the only problem is that your 400hp 5.0 is too much for your AOD. If the TV cable linkage was set wrong you would have ruined your tranny within the first couple of miles, not after 200miles. And it also would have either not shifted at all or not at the right time.
On my AOD, the tag was on one of the bolts that holds the tailshaft to the case. Its a little metalic tab about 2 inches long. Tell us what it says if its still on the tranny.
Jdownj is correct, in their stock form AODs can't take much abuse, and they also are more expensive to build than a c4/c6. I think you guys were experiencing similar problems with your 400hp and his 375 sprayed hp, the trannies just can't take that. If i were to just take a wild stab in the dark, i would say AODs in their stock form can only handle about 325hp. HOWEVER, i think yours still can be revived. If you want to rebuild it and sell it, its your choice, but an automatic to manual tranny swap is a big task. You will have to find a clutch pedal assembly, cable, tranny, clutch, shifter, crossmember and a couple other small things. I looked into if for my mustang and i would have ended up paying over 4,000 buckaroos just for parts and a WC T-5. (new ones of course).
I guess there is a reason that company is going out of business
Old 10-16-2002, 04:42 PM

When ur making this kind of power, a manual trans is too hard to shift, stick with a c4/c6. If you need od, get a gear vendors bolt on unit... those are rated for &gt;1000 hp... building a c6 that takes tha is no prob.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.