AOD quick shift problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2008, 08:07 AM
Cobralcon

Last journal entry: Daytona Turkey Run
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

AOD quick shift problem

I'm having a problem with my '87 based aod, no e that has just been rebuilt with shift kit, valve body mods, performance clutches and using a Lokar TV cable that has been set via pressure gauge by Tranny Shop.

The problem is a quick or "skip" shift from first to third with little or no time in second. The mechanic at the Tranny Shop believes it has to do with a sprag spring (too weak or too strong) on the output shaft and the high gearing of the rearend (2.88 to 1).

Before I give the go ahead to start exchanging springs i'd like the input of the expertise that exists on this forum.

Thanks in advance,

Hal R.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2008, 06:38 PM
Revolution Calling

Last journal entry: Poverty caps live on.
Last photo:

A mileage number would be great. (maybe a worn out TV plug sleeve - pic)

Also, what was the AOD out of originally?
Gearing of that truck/car ?

I think the governor springs are the ones that may need changing. Not the 'sprag' springs you stated.

Try and tighten the TV cable a few turns and try that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tvplug.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	32544  
Old 09-18-2008, 10:58 AM
Cobralcon

Last photo:

Update on AOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-10
A mileage number would be great. (maybe a worn out TV plug sleeve - pic)

Also, what was the AOD out of originally?
Gearing of that truck/car ?

I think the governor springs are the ones that may need changing. Not the 'sprag' springs you stated.

Try and tighten the TV cable a few turns and try that.
C-10 First, thank you for the reply. I haven't seen a lot on my particular problem, mostly on size installation issues of the tranny into another application.

Basically no miles on the AOD, it was completely rebuilt, valve body high performance kit, new and more high performance clutches, brand new TV Lokar cable all done by a mechanic that's rebuilt many trannys, ford, gm and chrysler as well as some foreign.

The AOD was pulled, along with the 5.0 engine, out of an '87 Mercury Marquis and both were totally rebuilt. The engine is now a 331 cu. in. switched to carburetor (Holley) and runs strong.

Now the rear gear, and this may be the problem, is a 2.88 to 1 eight inch Ford. Because it is geared so high (low numerically) the mechanic who rebuilt it feels like the springs on the output shaft (whatever they're called) need to be either stronger or weaker to compensate for the rear gear ratio which is substantially higher than what this tranny was originally used with.

Any other thoughts this additional information may have triggered are appreciated, especially if you have any idea in which direction we need to go with the springs, stronger or weaker.

Thanks again and have a good day,

Hal R.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:55 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

An AOD trans does not have weights and springs on the governor as some folks have seen on a GM transmission.

The AOD governor is prone to sticking after a rebuild. I would pull the tail housing off. Remove and clean this governor.

Usually on an AOD trans the problem will be no upshift or late upshifts ... this is caused by wear in various areas of the governor oil path. When the gov circuit loses pressure th e shifts will be late.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:12 PM
Revolution Calling

Last journal entry: Poverty caps live on.
Last photo:

Well, an AOD-Hi-Rev kit from TransGo has some proprietary springs in it... What are these for?

Weights no, springs yes?
Old 09-18-2008, 08:30 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

My point was the AOD governor is not a similar design of the GM style governor that many people are familiar with . you can not simply pop in 2 different springs or grind the weights

The hi-rev kit of TransGo has a weight and spring in the kit. I usually toss this hi-rev kit away.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:56 PM
Cobralcon

Last photo:

C-10, Crosley,

Thanks for your inputs.

I'll start by insuring the TV cable is taught and if that fails to fix the issue I'll pull the tail housing and clean the govenor.

Thanks again.

Hal R.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:03 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-10
Well, an AOD-Hi-Rev kit from TransGo has some proprietary springs in it... What are these for?

Weights no, springs yes?

I did not address this question...

there are springs for a shift valve in the v-body. Also a special weight and small spring for the governor.

This AOD governor is a wacky looking compact design , not like a GM design or a Mopar design.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:09 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfalcon
C-10, Crosley,

Thanks for your inputs.

I'll start by insuring the TV cable is taught and if that fails to fix the issue I'll pull the tail housing and clean the govenor.

Thanks again.

Hal R.
the small weights in the governor only install correctly in one direction , how ever they can be installed incorrectly and bolted together.

Your quick shifts point at this gov IF the TV linkage - cable is operating close to Ford design. The AOD usually suffers from delayed upshift or no up shift from leakage in the governor circuit.

Add to that , the recent rebuild with shift mods that "may" have been performed incorrectly...... I recently had a seasoned builder goof on some shift mods on a GM transmission.... so "stuff" does happen

Old 03-01-2012, 07:57 PM

AOD early light thottle upshift fix

The AOD transmission is sensitive the ratio of the thottle lever on the carburator. The ratio has to match the thottle valve lever on the transmission if this is off the trans will never shift right. The Holley carb lever is wrong and so is elderbrocks and Demons! Sonnax transmmision industries makes bolt on tv cable geometry corrector available thru TCI Summit and transmmision shops works for 700r4 2004r as well. Transgo hirev kit works well with their shift kit for later mid to full throttle upshifts up to 6000 rpm s use with lokar cable kit and watch the angle of cable to lever the strater the better .I recomend 3.50 gears or lower for od automatics. Garry Quality transmmissions in Seaside.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.