Hot Rod Forum banner

aod selector lever

3K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  cobalt327 
#1 ·
hello all, I find myself doing a transmission swap in the 93 town car. a replacement transmission was brought in and I noticed a difference. I'm not sure if its a big difference of not? the slector levers are different! the one in the car has a lever thats ontop, the replacement drops down.
pics:
http://tinypic.com/r/vcqrr5/7
http://tinypic.com/r/2s0nxht/7

from what I've gathered off the internet I think I can just change these out? I also read something about the tv cable, these dont have one?

#2 ·
The difference may be caused by one tranny being floor shifted (downward pointing lever), the other column shifted.

I believe that removing the pan and loosening the large nut that holds the lever, you can rotate it to where it's wanted. However, if there's a difference in the length of the arm, this will create a different ratio. If this is the case, swapping out the arm would be the right move- if keeping the original shifter set-up.

B&M makes a kit to allow the use of a 3-speed B&M shifter w/the Ford AOD. It's P/N 40496

#4 ·
You have an AODE trans , should be a electrical connector on passenger side of an slightly odd shape.

Check the lever for fitment in the replacement trans. Should fit if the model year is near correct.

Check tail housing for a large W cast on the side of each trans. You can not replace a AODE with a trans that has a W (4R70W trans) on it or the other way. The vehicle computer will see a ratio difference. 4R70W has different ratios.

#5 ·
I cannot find a difference, except for the selector lever. all the plugs are the same, same length, they have the same filters/pans.

old:

replacement:

the only difference thats obvious is the tag. what is going on here? if I cut off the tang from the old one and weld it into the new arm, would the rest of it work fine? I cant simply loosen the inside nut and rotate the other way, the clock position is different. what gives?

#6 ·
as I posted there can be gear ratio differences if there is a W on the tail housing of one and not the other.

The internal wire harness can be different. Are both harnesses regular wire? Not wires in a hard formed plastic enclosure.

The plug in connector is the smae shape, the pin locations the same on these different trans designs. the wire setup quite different if the wire harness inside is in a hard formed plastic enclosure, not loose wires in a conduit type enclosure

#9 ·
half_fast said:
I'll check the wires in the morning. so if they are different, what does that make this replacement transmission? AFAIK the AOD has a TV cable, and this dont have one. what do I have here?

Did you read my previous posts?

You have an AODE ...... unless there is a W cast into the tail housing on the side. Then it is a 4R70W trans with the W cast in the tail housing.

These two trrans are not swappable because of the gear ratio differences. The vehicle computer will see the different gear ratio in lower gears and set trouble codes

:thumbup:

#15 ·
nope. they are both darn near identical. neither of them have a W on the tailshaft, all the plugs are the same, filters the same, wires the same inside and out. they are obviously not made on the same day. by at this point I'm totally bewildered and I dont know what I'm gonna tell this guy... take it to the junkyard? I'm temped to jury-rig it with some aluminum and some boat parts in some sort of way. I wonder how they do it at ford garage?

#16 ·
half_fast said:
I've taken both of them apart and came across a new problem:

not sure what to do with this now
OK, going by this, you cannot swap the correct lever into the trans that is replacing the original trans?

Sorry if I'm being too obvious here, but what is the difference that makes the first shift assembly incompatible w/the second trans?

#18 ·
How is the "lever plate" attached to the shaft? If it's a press fit, drive it downwards to the same level as the old assembly, and turn it to the right orientation if needed. MIG it into place afterwards. If it is held on by some other means, deal w/it appropriately.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.