AOD TV Cable Linkage? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2007, 12:12 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

AOD TV Cable Linkage?

Hey y'all! I have a 90' Mustang with a built 302, and an AOD with the 4R70W Gearset. I had to drop the trans to put a new Torque Converter in it, and replace the Front Pump Seal. Now I have everything bolted back up, but my TV Linkage at the Trans won't move. I don't think I have it connected correctly. Can anyone help me locate a diagram to help me see exactly how to bolt the linkage arm back to the Trans? Is there any spacers or anything that I might be missing in there?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2007, 01:54 PM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

If it has an arm rather than a cable, it is very early (80-85 carbureted). A FORD dealer should be able to get an illustration on the CDP or you will find it in an early shop manual.

Info From Transmission Exchange-

FORD AOD Automatic Overdrive

ROD TYPE-TV ADJUSTMENT

1. Remove the air cleaner. Have someone floor the gas pedal from inside the car while you bend the THROTTLE cable bracket until the butterfly arm bottoms solidly on it's stop.

2. Turn the adjustment screw IN until 13 threads are sticking out the front of the adjuster arm. (Approx. 7/16")

3. Start the engine with the AIR OFF and leave it OFF.

4. While the engine is idling, loosen the adjustment bolt on the arm on the side of the transmission with a 13mm socket one full turn. Push the arm up (towards the top of the vehicle) and gently tighten the bolt.

5. Now go back to the top adjustment and back off 13 turns.

6. Now ROAD TEST. Place the selector in the '3' position and cruise at 45 mph. Floor the throttle, you will have no 3-2 kickdown. Turn the adjuster screw in exactly one turn at a time until you have kickdown at 45 mph. Then, turn the screw in 3 more turns. You will be in the middle of the TV adjustment.

7. Now ROAD TEST for shift feel and timing. You can adjust in or out up to 2 turns to improve shift quality.

8. Replace the air cleaner.

(Their adjusting procedure recommendation only)
Old 08-26-2007, 02:14 PM

I have the cable type. My problem is the arm that the cable hooks to down at the Trans. I unbolted the arm from the trans. It hooks up at the same spot as the shift lever. It just won't move the way I have it hooked up, and am wanting to see a diagram to know if I did it wrong, or if there is other problems. Thanks.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:59 PM

After a bit of trial and error, I found that the arm was indeed put back on wrong. The arm for the TV cable to connect to need to ride on the high side of the TV Pin at the shift arm, and the long part of the TV Arm needs to point to the rear of the car. Thanks to those that helped, and perhaps this will help others.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.