Hot Rod Forum banner

API CJ-4 vs CI-4 oil- which is better for break in?

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  GCD1962 
#1 ·
I was thinking about the insane 2007 diesel regulations (even vw won't import diesels for the year I'm told), and sure there's benefits- the particulate filter and the fading reputation that diesels are dirty nasty beasts.

That aside, I was wondering if it's suitable as an engine break-in oil, not that I have a fresh engine ready to be installed, but for future reference. Also I was wondering if anyone tried using diesel oil in gasoline engines and had bad experiences. I did use the search button and find that International had some issues with exhaust valves in gasoline engines whilst running diesel oil.

I decided not to breathe new life with my questions into an ancient post, so here's a new one.
thanks,
Matt
p.s. the new CJ-4 diesel oil is better for everyday use in diesels I'm sure- formulated for better viscosity and reduced contamination, where I'm not sure if I should use that or keep using semi-syntheric gasoiline engine oil.

#2 ·
CI-4 should be used for break-in and for everyday use in an older modified or stock engine. It has sufficient zddp to prevent wear of parts. The newer oils SJ etc. do not have zddp and if used long enough in the older engines will spell trouble down the road. The reason zddp was removed was because of epa regs and the fact that it messed up the computers in newer cars (messes up the sensors after a period of time). The newer cars might not last as long as they have in recent years because of the removal of the zddp

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.