the appeal of chrome - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2010, 08:35 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

the appeal of chrome

what do you think makes people want to chrome thing? or why do they like the chrome looks?...I know its shiny and thats what most of its apealing comes from, BUT there is also the exclusivity(price) that is important to some people..

this is the main question, would you still like the Chrome looks if it was inexpencive?..would it lost its apealing?....

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2010, 08:44 PM

Last journal entry: A Few Years Later...
Last photo:

If its chromed I find it easier to keep clean - but I personally think there is waay to much chrome on everything. It's one of those things where more is not necessarily better. I intend to use a "black chrome" on most of my plated parts. BTW, where in Africa?
Old 02-23-2010, 12:45 PM

Last photo:

Chrome has been a standard part of auto styling for over 100 years. I think it is the fact that cars are made of metal, and a fine metal item is often polished. Chrome is simply a better solution than most polished metals ,since it is brighter and will not tarnish.

Also, over the years, it has been used to accent those things you want people to notice, like wheels, or metal trim "accents". One of the basic rules of art is, "If you want something to disappear...paint it black". That is because the first colors your eye will see...and home in on....is "light" or "bright" colors ...and it doesn't get brighter than chrome!

I have been deeply involved in this hobby since the early '60s, and have never heard anyone say they chromed something because it was expensive. I have heard them say they did it because they thought it looked great! The hobby was built on making beautiful, noticeable, and highly visible machines. Chrome is just one tool to achieve that goal. After all, if we didn't want our ride to be noticed....we would all drive a dirty generic 4-door ricemobile, right? Even the guys who complain about costs will usually upgrade their ride as soon as they have the extra money.

I personally like the use of chrome or polished metal on rods & customs, but in a tasteful way.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:47 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

chrome

As michael Savage says Back when chrome was thick.... I still have my high school project T bucket, I found the Body on a ranch in 52. and chrome deteriates. I like aluminum and Mag better, as it ages just re-polish. most chrome stuff today is made off shore and won't last, I worked for the factory that made oem exhaust parts for harley. Good chrome requires good polish of the steel. copper plating.... polish . nickel plate,.. polish,.. then chrome and buffing .. mabe another trip thru the tank. The guy that owned the chrome plating facility built a couple of cars and chromed everything he could . entire frames buffed and polished.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:07 AM

Last photo:

i'm not a big fan of chrome anything, so i guess it doesn't matter if it's cheap or expensive, it's not going on my vehicle. it's too flashy.
i like the 'sleeper' look. i like the look of special models, usually from gm. like the old grand nationals that are blacked out, or the 454 SS trucks. i wanted to get a joe gibbs silverado a few years back, but the wife wouldn't hear of it.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:13 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

I used to laugh in the old days when I'd see a rod in a car mag that had chromed springs- if it don't go- chrome it!

Remember as kids, when you opened a model car box? The first thing you'd go for, was the tree w/the chrome parts and the decals (I collected the decals- rarely put any on a model- still have some to this day) and to a lesser degree, the trees w/the red and clear parts. Much could be told about the model's potential outcome by looking at those parts.

That the plastic body parts were going to take a lot of work w/putty and sanding was a given.

Chrome on rods and street machines got to be like Al billet is today- overdone it is nauseating.

Chrome- when done tastefully- will accent a car's engine compartment and overall looks like nothing else, IMHO.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:15 PM
point on positive

Last photo:

and then theres ...

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://p...Z1XD5OcmxE4RkQ

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.