Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   application issues (orange peel) (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/application-issues-orange-peel-226888.html)

BWSpaulding 12-06-2012 12:06 PM

application issues (orange peel)

We are using PPG Delfleet Evolution polyurethane FDXH top coat and F3993 epoxy primer. I have tried every trick I can think of and can't get it to lay smooth. there is always slight orange peel. Has anyone out there used this product. I could use some sugestions. I have used OMNI epoxy primer/waited 24 hours to top coat and had a little better luck.

OneMoreTime 12-06-2012 12:30 PM

Moved your post to proper forum and re-titled it for a hopefully better response..Try reducing your material about 5% and work on the gun adjustments..orange peel is usually a gun issue..do some practice runs to get the material to lay down wet and slick..

Sam

MARTINSR 12-06-2012 12:33 PM

Here is a "Basics of Basics" on the issue of atomization which is what we are talking about here. Painting Basics - Autobodystore

Brian

DanielC 12-06-2012 01:07 PM

Orange peel=too dry.

I am not a professional. I take very careful notes of EVERYTHING that could affect the paint, so i have a baseline I can refer to when it turns out good, and know what not to do when it comes out bad.

Temperature, humidity, time of day, observed weather conditions, paint mix ratios, thinners or reducers added, all gun settings, including pressure, panel orientation, speed of application, EVERYTHING!

Brian, I love your AutoBodyStore tech articles. I found several of them by just changing a number in the URL of the article you post a link to.
Is there a way to get all of those posted in hotrodders forums, without violating the terms of usage for hotrodders.com?

69 widetrack 12-06-2012 01:29 PM

Delfleet Evolution is a thick product, tough as nails and very suspectable to orange peel, as mentioned by "One More Time", proper gun adjustments can make a big difference, try 5% more reduction, both on your F3993 Primer and your paint...If I am correct, PPG Delfleet Tech sheets suggest using a viscosity cup for this reason and they also recommended for this product to be sprayed with a pressure pot. Using a pressure pot does make a difference with respect to flow.

If you look at factory finishes that have used Delfleet from the factory, they do have a certain amount of Orange Peel as does it's sister of a different mother, Dupont's Imrom.

Ray

MARTINSR 12-06-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielC (Post 1619839)
Orange peel=too dry.

Brian, I love your AutoBodyStore tech articles. I found several of them by just changing a number in the URL of the article you post a link to.
Is there a way to get all of those posted in hotrodders forums, without violating the terms of usage for hotrodders.com?

I didn't write them for Autobodystore, though Len has done a nice job putting them up and saving photos that have been lost. Here's all the ones he has.
Basics Of Basics - Autobodystore

Many, and sometimes others are on Camaros.net. Member HOW-TO Paint & Body Contributions - Team Camaro Tech

They are also at Autobody101.
Basics of Basics | How to Paint Your Own Car, Auto Body Discussion Forum and Videos

Making a sticky is all that could happen here but never did when I posted them.

Jon asked and honored my request to not put them in the Wiki because they would be altered.

Thanks for the kind words. :welcome:

Brian