applying filler... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2004, 07:29 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

applying filler...

howdy again all... i recently covered my car in a thin coat of etch primer and am now smoothing it out with body filler. as with everything i do, i scoff at practising on some "test piece" and just get stuck straight onto it on the real deal so that, if it works, i'm on the way!

anyway, my holden ute has probably lived its life as a plumber's hack, only to be sold to a bricklayer, then a carpenter... you get the idea. it's dented to buggery. i've gone all over it with a hammer and dolly and got it relatively straight. the panels are all within, i don't know, an 1/8" or so, of the right level. so the filler i'm applying isn't too thick.

i am having trouble mixing it up so that there's no air bubbles, however. it's not really bad, there's just a few, and it means when i block sand every now and then a little hole appears where i've uncovered a bubble, only a millimetre or so across. how bad is this? obviously, for every one that gets uncovered there's three more that are hiding below the surface! will they give me grief later? if i can't avoid an air bubble now and again, i was thinking i could fill the little 'pin hole' with a little dab of my hi-fill primer... does that sound like a stupid idea?

also, if i have to come back and do another layer of filler to perfect a spot, what grit paper should i use last to make sure the filler gets a strong bite? i've been using 80 grit mainly, sometimes 120, as a good balance between speed and finesse, i've found...

i'll post some pics of my work soon. thanks for all the help you've been giving.... oh, and happy new year to y'all!!!

col.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2004, 07:38 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

I think your on the right track. When it comes to pin holes you can use glazing putty to fill them. Your primer will probably work as well.

Centerline
Old 01-01-2004, 08:44 AM
Last photo:

Get a tube of 3M glazing putty. Sands easily and feathers great.

Vince
Old 01-01-2004, 12:21 PM
back to action!

Last photo:

it seems no matter how carefull i am mixing up the filler, i always end up with some airbubbles. i also use 3m glazing putty and i like it. on large areas i can't escape the airbubbles and out comes the putty which is followed by another coat of high build. so it seems to me you're doing everthing in the norm. and hopefully the bubbles just under the surface stay put. for sanding the primer i use 400 which really lets you see any pinholes that might show up in the final coat so you can take care of them now. i also am one of those guys that refuse to use a test piece for anything!
Old 01-01-2004, 08:37 PM

Last journal entry: Grille
Last photo:

Re: applying filler...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by autocol
[B]howdy again all... i recently covered my car in a thin coat of etch primer and am now smoothing it out with body filler. as with everything i do, i scoff at practising on some "test piece" and just get stuck straight onto it on the real deal so that, if it works, i'm on the way!

anyway, my holden ute has probably lived its life as a plumber's hack, only to be sold to a bricklayer, then a carpenter... you get the idea. it's dented to buggery. i've gone all over it with a hammer and dolly and got it relatively straight. the panels are all within, i don't know, an 1/8" or so, of the right level. so the filler i'm applying isn't too thick.

i am having trouble mixing it up so that there's no air bubbles, however. it's not really bad, there's just a few, and it means when i block sand every now and then a little hole appears where i've uncovered a bubble, only a millimetre or so across. how bad is this? obviously, for every one that gets uncovered there's three more that are hiding below the surface! will they give me grief later? if i can't avoid an air bubble now and again, i was thinking i could fill the little 'pin hole' with a little dab of my hi-fill primer... does that sound like a stupid idea?

also, if i have to come back and do another layer of filler to perfect a spot, what grit paper should i use last to make sure the filler gets a strong bite? i've been using 80 grit mainly, sometimes 120, as a good balance between speed and finesse, i've found...

i'll post some pics of my work soon. thanks for all the help you've been giving.... oh, and happy new year to y'all!!!

umm, im tired after work, but did you say that youre putting body filler over self-etching primer?

I HIGHLY recommend not do that, YOU never put body filler over primers. You can put polyester putty, just skim coat over primer surfacers to fill small pin holes/imperfections. When mixing filler, press it hard against board, so air will come out. Don't whip it since that will get lots of air in it, only spread it as thin as you can. Do not spray primers over pin holes, cause they will come back later, I suggest putting putty over them. Or if theres just lots of them, take that bondo off of there and reapply, practice a lot, ull get better like Im right now, I can mix you bondo in dark and it'll be perfect
Old 01-01-2004, 09:38 PM

thanks everybody... that's kinda reassuring.... i'll go get myself some putty today.

mitmaks, i'd heard some people say "yes, use etch primer, then fillers" and others say "NO! never prime then fill! you must fill first!!!"

to be honest, i was having trouble deciding, so i etch primed, and then before i apply the fillers i'm scouring the primer with 40 grit paper, which is coarse enough to actually expose metal through the primer... so i guess you could say i ended up going 50-50! time will tell if that was a dumb idea or not.

thanks for your advice...
Old 01-02-2004, 07:43 AM
Last photo:

Re: Re: applying filler...

Quote:
Originally posted by mitmaks

I HIGHLY recommend not do that, YOU never put body filler over primers. [/B]
Not necessarily so, it is common practice to primer a car totally then start body work. A classic example is when you use an acid etch primer on bare metal first.

Vince
Old 01-02-2004, 08:09 PM

hey guys...

just wanted to say that i got some putty as suggested and it's absolutely perfect. spot on advice....

you guys have REALLY helped me with this project, i'm feeling really comfortable that everything i'm doing is okay and it's all moving along well. (the fact that i've given up my summer holiday to block sand instead is certainly helping!)...

i can't wait to take some pics of the result and show you guys what you've helped me make. (making the somewhat dangerous assumption that it's all going to turn out right! we'll see!)

cheers,

col.
Old 01-03-2004, 08:14 AM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

All the fillers I've ever used say to apply directly to clean,dry metal, except glazing putty.

When redoing or repairing previously repaired places that have had filler applied over any thing, the filler pops of easily.

If you apply any thing and then sand through it you have wasted your money and time.

I've seen pin holes filled with primer before, they usually shrink and show. Like posted that is what glazing putty is for.

Troy

69 ss rs full custom camaro 98 ISCA grandchampion
69 ss rs bb camaro wifes driver
66 Elcamino 350/all dz parts,ac,windows,loaded,my driver
69 ss chevelle bb conv.fresh frame off
26 T sedan street rod

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.