Approach to surface rust repair? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2008, 03:54 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Approach to surface rust repair?

Hello all,
If there is an archive I can go to, someone please point me to it. Hate to post duplicates but I haven't found anything that specifically addresses this type of rust. Maybe really just looking for a confirmation on how to approach this. I haven't ground into it yet in case I need to take other photos but looks to still be pretty solid. What would be the best approach to this. Don't want to over kill it and cut the area apart if i didn't need to. Thanks in advance for you time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010220.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	33376   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010222.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	33377   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010223.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	33378  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2008, 04:17 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I would sandblast it and then epoxy prime it..........chances are when you blast it, there will be pinholes right through........

Budget RVs
Old 10-20-2008, 02:57 AM
point on positive

Last photo:

I would suggest bath it in *Rustmort for a few hours , then rub some 180 grit on it , then bath it in Rustmort another bit and then rinse with water and dry with a heat gun ,180 again then smear a little filler, sand prime etc...
* Rustmort is a brand by SEM and has never failed,,,ever

Rx The trick with the rust treatments is to keep them wet with it for way longer then most have patience for. Let it set on there and kinda soak in while you attend other parts of the project etc..

That damage is in a easily repairable spot if 5 or 10 years from now it starts to show ,,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rustmort1.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	33386   Click image for larger version

Name:	rustmort2.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	33387  
Old 10-20-2008, 08:18 AM

Last photo:

That is classic seam rust. Let's see what it looks like behind the panel. It's creeping there too, right?

I had to fab up that very piece on my Lincoln. It was beyond repair.

I attack surface rust with acid, and I scrub it good with a wire brush until it stops rinsing brown. If there is a way to split the seam and deal with the mess inside there, all the better. If not, clean up real good what you can, on both sides of the metal, epoxy both sides, and renew the seam sealer. As a matter of fact, you should renew all the seam sealer on the vehicle while it's apart.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:16 PM

Last photo:

I don't have a sandblaster at my disposal but I do have a bunch of different grinders and wire wheels. Not sure how deep the rust goes through. If there are pinholes going all the way through then I will be cutting out that area. I intend on making a street/road coarse car out of it and the last thing I want to cut corners on is the chassis. This is a unibody car and that area is a major source of strength to the car. Might end up putting a small cage in it if I twist the frame too much but that is getting way ahead of myself. right now I jsut want to do this so I am doing it only once.
I do have epoxy from SPI ready to go once all the metal issues are handled. Or actually AS they are handled. Doing the car one small area at a time. No choice in the matter. Don't have a crew working on it and limited amounts of time.
I am also going to look into the Rust Mort option and see how that works with the metal area.
One issue I am having is getting to the back of the panel. There really is no back as it is a frame rail. It is kind of a tube. Not sure how I am going to spray them down form the inside either. Maybe a grenade tied to a can of primer. LOL
Will be seam sealing things as I go. Figure I will get it all painted in epoxy and seal over it with seam sealer. Need to get some form the auto supply store.
Thanks again for all your help. This stuff is fun!

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.