approximate cost of paint job - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2003, 09:26 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I agree with you to up a point. Sure the shops charge way too much, which is one of the reasons I do my own stuff too.

However, it seems to be the way of the world these days. Everybody charges too much. That includes the people that supply them. Its a vicious cycle. Their suppliers charge them more, and it goes on and on.

They all seem to charge what the market will bear....and thats too much.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2003, 08:51 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally posted by 71gtx
Sorry but these auto repair shops charge WAY too much, they rip everyone off. That's why i do all my own work. I mean come on, $99 for front brake pads that takes them 15 minutes or less, thats $400 an hour. These shops need to tone it down.
I don't know who you are talking about charging $99 for just brake pads. I see that you are a student. Let me give you a lesson. If they ARE actually just installing pads for $99.00, part of that is most likely for the pads. Also unless the customer is pulling the car inside, raising the car, removing the wheels, getting the parts, reinstalling the wheels and pulling the car back outside, it is extremely unlikely that someone is doing 4 sets of pads in an hour. Sure, if someone had no overhead, and could do 4 of them in an hour, that would be good money. When you consider that there are utilities, taxes, license fees, supplies, rent for commercial space, insurance, and usually payroll for someone that isn't turning wrenches, the money doesn't go far.

I had a general repair shop with 2 other employees, about 10 years ago. My insurance cost me $2000 a month. The rent was $1800 a month, the electric was $200-$400 a month. My phone cost me about $800 a month with the add in the yellow pages. Those costs don't include what I had to pay in taxes for having the business, payroll taxes, social security taxes, and EPA taxes. I also had the city on me constantly wanting me to spend money to landscape the place so it didn't look like an auto repair shop. Most of those costs were from people that would complain in a second, how much they are charged for auto repairs. Those costs also don't include the cost to maintain the equipment that I had to have, and the books/ reference material so we had the correct information for servicing the vehicles properly. They also don't include the payroll for the guys that do the work, and have to supply and maintain their own tools to work with. Your $200-$300 Chraftsman tool set may be fine for at home, but they don't make it when you have to make a living out of your tool box. Consider that most mechanics spend 10%+ of their pay on purchasing/ maintaining their tools. How many occupations have that going for them?

Since this post was about painting and body work, I will point out that bodymen and painters don't have to have some of the tools that a mechanic has. They do have to buy/maintain some expensive tools themselves. Grinders, sanders, body hammers, drills, and such are not free. They don't last for ever either. Though you may be able to buy your stuff from Harbor Freight, they won't usually hold up under the constant use in a professional body shop. A Stud welder from Harbor Freight may only cost $100. A quality one for professional use, that will do the job and last, is about $400.

Think about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2004, 12:39 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

You forgot to mention the cost to get rid of used paint and thinner, for some reason they don't like it getting in the ground or being thrown in the dumpster. I am sure you could make a list a page long. Consider the price of a downdraft paint booth and check the prices on frame racks and estimating software, mixing rooms, and ... A computer repair man charges more an hour and only needs a handfull of tools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.