approximate cost of paint job - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2003, 07:34 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

approximate cost of paint job

You'll have painted a lot of trucks and have a good idea of the cost...I have a 90 suburban that I want painted bc/cc metallic..I have been to 2 shops and 3500.00 and 4500.00 to pull off all bumpers ,molding,glass, etc....I only have 4 dents quarter size for body repair...Are these prices in right range...thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2003, 08:18 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

This is the nost common question on this forum. Please search the forum for that info, as it has been asnwered to death.
Old 12-24-2003, 01:33 PM

paint job cost

Obvisiouly you know as little as I do about paint work because you couldn't answer my question.....Searched the knowledge base for 2 hours and didn't find what I thought answered my question,,,that is why I posted!!!!! If dealing with a novice pains you guys so much then you can stuff this forum up your exhaust with plenty of room to spare...thanks for nothing
Old 12-24-2003, 02:15 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Re: approximate cost of paint job

Quote:
Originally posted by old suburban
You'll have painted a lot of trucks and have a good idea of the cost...I have a 90 suburban that I want painted bc/cc metallic..I have been to 2 shops and 3500.00 and 4500.00 to pull off all bumpers ,molding,glass, etc....I only have 4 dents quarter size for body repair...Are these prices in right range...thanks
These days a decent bc/cc paint job is in that price range, especially a truck that size. If you ask around you might be able to get someone at a tech school or car club to do it cheaper.

Budget RVs
Old 12-24-2003, 02:42 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Old Suburban; you are a new poster here so I will assume you have had bad experiences on other forums and that is the reason for your response to adtkart. His response was COMPLETELY innocent. That is how we communicate here - 'just the facts mam'. He gave the same response I would have given and have given to many new-comers. There is a HUGE information base here and not only would it be redundant for members to revisit the same topics over and over, it would also result in a lot of wisdom being missed. You obviously aren't up-to-speed on how to do a search on this site so I did one for you using the phrase "cost of paint job" and got a page and a half of hits and it took less than a minute. Here are the most pertinent to the question you posed in your first post. If these don't answer your question, then you need to clarify in more detail what you need to know. From reading your initial question and these old threads, I believe your question is answered as accurately as it can be. Your initial question is fairly broad and all that can be offered are broad principles to help zero in on the answer. Labor costs are always increasing and they are regionally variable plus painting material costs have gone up astronomically in the past year or so. ++$100/gallon for the good stuff is the norm now.

http://hotrodders.com/showthread.php...t+of+paint+job

Glad to have you aboard and hope you come to realize we are not normally smart mouthed and antagonistic. Just to the point.
Old 12-24-2003, 02:56 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

This is a very good forum to collect info. The people here are very helpful and, the board is full of information. Taking a minute to search before posting, may answer your questions quickly. When posting, including as much info as possible also increases your chances of getting a GOOD answer.

Once you have read the other answers to the question, you can post any additional questions that you may have and will most likely get all of the info that you could want or need.

There are many EXPERTS that monitor these boards. I am not one, but do have some knowledge in the areas that I answer. Atleast my boss and the other people that I work with think so. I did not mean to be antagonistic, just trying to point the new members to the right direction.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS
Old 12-25-2003, 12:11 AM

Last photo:

I am just thinking out load here but $3500 - $4500 seems like a lot of dough to me.

If the paint is in not too bad of shape you can just scuff the old paint and spray the BC/CC. A Suburban is an easy car to work on, nice and high of the ground pretty straight forward.

Materials what maybe $700 for mid range paints? Wouldn't put high end paint on a work horse or daily driver.

I guess what it boils down to is people charge the earth for labour these days.
Old 12-25-2003, 06:53 PM

$3500-$4500 is a lot of dough,be it Canadian or American. We paid $4100 U.S. for my wifes nova paint job about a year ago. I was shocked as all hell when we went paint shop shopping. And we didn't go 1st. cabin. In fact it's going back after the new year for repairs or this shop will be visited by a lawyer,epa and carb and anyone else I can think of. Do your shopping wisley. A suburban will take a lot of paint,not only color and clear but also primers,sealers,tape,paper,reducers,hardeners, pluse anything else I don't know anything about. Go to a paint supplier and price products,they will know how much paint you will need. I was SHOCKED at the material prices. Remember the shop has overhead, labor, and the owner likes to eat as well. His or her employees also like a good wage,just like we all do.
Welcome to this board, a lot of knowledge here. I also have a hard time with the knowledge base at times!
Old 12-25-2003, 11:28 PM
point on positive

Last photo:

Money is always an interesting hurdle.

Try and think of it this way for a sec. Lets say your car or truck was accidently keyed by a jealous wife or girlfreind on every panel. Lets put a wittnes at the scene. Then let's say it was the wrong car/truck. Now we call the cops the wittnes points a finger and they take a report and this crazed person admits guilt and says "Sorry..I'll pay."

Now we take the scratched car/truck to a bodyshop and we say "fix it right and take your time cause I'll be driving this rental car untill it's done no matter how long and what the cost.

All of the sudden we don't care about the money or the time.

Paint shops are faced with 2 types of customers. Those who have done it to themselves and those who have had it done to them. The easiest customer says "take your time and call me when it's done. The worst customer says"How much and how fast?"

Best thing to do is get contrast by shopping at several paint shops
Old 12-26-2003, 06:01 AM

thank you

thank all of you,,some very helpful imformation this time!!!
Happy holidays
Old 12-26-2003, 07:53 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

I constantly hear people complaining about what it cost for a paint job and how long it takes. When you consider that to you, it's just a paint job, it seems minor. Consider that it is how someone is making a living, it takes on a different look. No one usually figures that they are charging too much for their work, but everyone else is. A body man/ painter/ auto mechanic, has to supply and maintain many of their own tools. They also have to support themselves and their families from working on the cars. A complete paint job on something like a full size Suburban can easilly take 1 or 2 bodymen/painters a whole week to complete. Then the customer comes and inspects the completed job like they never inspected the vehicle before. In most cases, if the vehicle owner had looked at the vehicle that close before they bought it, they never would have paid that much for it. I had one customer come to pick up her vehicle wearing her glasses. I didn't recognize her because I had always seen her with contact lenses. She told me that she was glad she wore her glasses because she can see better with them, and didn't want to miss anything. She said that while she had her nose up against the quarter panel looking down it. That means that the craftsmen have to make the vehicle better than new. That is after the vehicle has been used, abused, and beat up in every Kmart parking lot within 1000 miles.

Many times the same people that complain about the cost of auto repairs are the ones that are constantly complaining about things that increase the cost of doing business.
Old 12-29-2003, 02:43 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

whats a paint job cost?

old burb, dude, you got a problem helping yourself or what? Somebody dosn't come right back and hand you the info and you get a smart mouth. Being a novice dosn't mean asking a question and demanding someone else do your homework. Where do you think the people that answered you got their information. Same place adtkart told you to look. Cool your jets newbie!

Tazz
trolloligest

Rat Rods Rule!
Old 12-30-2003, 12:57 AM
Life's 2 short 2 keep it stock

Now don't be gettin everyone all riled up again... Actually that does seem a little high for a paintjob. Stay away from bodyshops that do alot of insurance work as they always charge more. It will take awhile too. One place that did insurance work had paintjobs STARTING at 3500 because they were all computerized and had high tech bs. I just want a great paintjob laid down.My T/A for an all over paintjob is costing $2400. Cheapest I could find. It's an individual bodyman though and he does beautiful work. He's had it since the end of september and will probably have it until march. But I told him to take his time because it would be stored by now anyways. Free heated storage at the bodyshop! Check around...........
Old 12-30-2003, 07:38 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

I love these kinds of threads. People claiming that someone else is charging too much to do something that they can't, or won't do. I don't know too many people that don't think that they are under paid for what they do. I also don't know many people that feel that the place that they work over charges for their work. Since people's pay depends on what their employer charges, I guess they go hand in hand.

If you want to go out and buy the equipment, and paint it yourself, go for it. By the time that you buy a paint booth, compressor, safety equipment, pay the utilities, pay for all of the materials used for the job, and also for learning, and then the many hours of doing the work, figure out where you are at with the dollars. Sure you can do it with out a high dollar paint booth. Make sure that you put on a couple of extra coats of clear, so you can wet sand out the garbage you got in the paint. Atleast that doesn't cost anything! Also if/when you screw up part of it and need to re-do it, remember that since you are doing it, not only is the labor free, but the materials must also be free. And since you are doing it yourself, it has a good warranty, like most reputable shops will give. If there is a problem, that won't cost you either, cause you saved money.... and did it yourself.

Quit whinning, check around your areas. If you don't want to pay the going rate, do it yourself!
Old 12-30-2003, 08:14 PM

Last journal entry: Rear End Disassembly
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by adtkart

Many times the same people that complain about the cost of auto repairs are the ones that are constantly complaining about things that increase the cost of doing business.
Sorry but these auto repair shops charge WAY too much, they rip everyone off. That's why i do all my own work. I mean come on, $99 for front brake pads that takes them 15 minutes or less, thats $400 an hour. These shops need to tone it down.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.