Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - AR RACING 383 Motor
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2005, 11:16 AM
Never let them see you coming

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

AR Racing...Yeah right

I want to say that I could not be any UNHAPPIER than if I let my 17 yo son build my motor.

I too bought a motor from them, and it was one thing after another. There were either missing bolts, untorqued bolts, port work (what port work!!!) issues, etc. I was to recieve forged pistons, got KB Hypers instead, I had to retorque all bolts, and all were loose on everything outside of the motor. And when I called to complain and that I would be dropping the oil pan to check the internals, he said that I would void the warranty.

The motor has smoked like a chimney since day one. I found that since the heads and block were milled, the new RPM intake was not sealing at the bottom of the ports. He also used the wrong intake gaskets. I correct that issue and cut the smoking in half. It is drawing oil down the new bronze valve guides some how. I even put new valve stem seals on, and no difference. He may have used the small valve stems with 3/8th inch valve guides. I will know for sure when I tear it down. I just know that it does not smoke if sitting for over a week, when the oil has a chance to drain completely. Once the oil hits the top of the rockers, it is like a mosquito truck.

I have complained to Mark Lim, and he would not return calls or emails. The only way I got him to return a call was to file a claim with the BBB out of Va. And when he finally called, he did state that he had another BBC returned for the very same reason.

I have decided to punt, and just take my *********** like a man, and move forward in rebuilding my BBC myself. I have all new parts for the bottom end. Cat Stroker 4340 crank, Eagle Stroker 4340 H-Beam rods, SRP Pistons, Moroso street/strip pan with integral scraper and windage tray, and oil pump/pickup, 781 heads ported and polished exhausts and chambers myself, And I ported the intake ports to match the new GMPP intake squared off oval ports. I am reusing the valvetrain, and all external items (carb, fuel pump, dist, etc.).

What I thought was a good deal, now I am paying regular price if not more after machining. Hopefully, I I have to worry about is milling my new heads, and boring and honing the block.

Last edited by wildman926; 09-02-2005 at 11:32 AM.