Hot Rod Forum banner

AR RACING 383 Motor

24K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  telmex 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I read long time ago a post referring to AR Racing Engines from VA. I just received one and will install this weekend. Couple of points - you cannot build this engine yourself for the price you pay, I compared it to the ZZ4 which I was almost ready to buy. Although everybodies engine on the NET is built from a seasoned (old block) it is the specific builders capabilities and internal parts that make the deal for me. I paid ************** for shipping and got the motor delivered to Clearwater, FL in 3 days. It is a 383 with Dart Iron Eagles, Eagle crank, Eagle I-Beam rods, rest of the rotating assembly is Speed-Pro. Valve springs and complete valve train is Comp Cams XE series. Motor built with the best of bearings and ARP fastners throughout. For those interested, AR Racing is a "Machine Shop" all work done in-house, not parted out to vendors, therefore assembly is overseen by a couple of guys from start to finish. The numbers are conversative on the HP/Torque side. I shopped engines since last year when the NOVA was undergoning restoration, and I will agree there are many builders on the NET that make some ridiculos claims to HP - mainly in Ariz. and Cal. The reputable ones will talk to you and tell you what you can expect!!! Face it - a small block is a small block - but the internals and the assembly of matching components is what differiniates one from the next. I went with AR since Mark always accepted my numerous phone calls and described the details of his process of engine building up to the time I ordered the motor. No pressure, no hard sell whatsoever. Be aware of those that build "garage motors" and make claims of big-time engine builders, some are on Ebay Any motorhead knows you ain't gonna get 500HP from a 355 with dished pistons and a mild (488 lift) cam, but I see the same motor with diff pistons and cam claiming very diff HP/Torque ratings, and those guys scared me away. Simply put - I couldn't find a better motor/deal than from AR, and they build 4 a week nationally. A small shop doing good things. Engine are not dynoed, but very few do that for the low prices advertised. Check out Jon Barrett engines in OK. They build a nice product and you will even get a sales rep calling every day to push the order. The ****** motor ends up costing you bout **** cause they dont want to dyno the motor and then remove the ingintion/fuel system and whatever else is on the advertised inital price. _ I will follow up with my own personally viewed rear wheel dyno #s in a week or so.

See less See more
#27 ·
I wish I would have read all the horror stories before I bought a SBF 408 with 525hp from AR racing. That was a joke, and I am a fool for believeing. I paid 4 grand for straight junk, the best parts on the motor were the ARP bolts.

Did four 1/4 mile passes spun a crankshaft bearing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.