Hot Rod Forum banner

Arc One welding helmet?

11K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Welding Max 
#1 ·
Has anyone used one of these & if so, what did you think of it? Local welding supply has them for 210. The model I looked at was the X-540 which has the large viewing area & playing around with a striker it seemed to darken right up but would like to hear from people that have actually used them.
Thanks,
Steve

#2 ·
I have one that I bought about 6 or so years ago and it works fine. I got the one that has a 4X4 vewing area but the center is the only part that is auto the top and bottom are fixed #10 shades. I now have the Miller pro series but it was a quite a bit more than the price of the Arc One. I was getting a headache after TIG welding for a few hours at a time and had to go to a darker helmet so I bought the Miller and have it set to 11-12 with no more eye problems.

Hope this helps, Mike

#3 ·
Mike, the one I looked at had a 'TIG' setting, did the one you used have that & it still wasn't enough? Mainly what I'll be doing is hobby type stuff nothing for long periods. Back when I did some welding in the factory we had a helmet you held in one hand & the stinger in the other got it close then struck an arc. Thing I like about auto dark is you can see while wearing it & not get flashed while you try to position the helmet in you're other hand if you got a little too close with the stinger.

#8 ·
I have not tried the arc one helmet but the HF outfit is a good one, it is one of the few "real" deals they have. The head gear on the HF helmet is not the best and if it was used in a working environment it probably would not last long but simply grafting in a replacement Jackson gear will solve that problem nicely. As far as the electrics go I have mentioned before that at one time the HF helmet used the EXACT SAME lens as the Hobart/Miller but both have changed so I don't know if that is still true. I do know several people that own the HF helmet and I have yet to hear anyone complain about them.

#10 ·
Welding helmet

I bought a used Speed glass welding helmet. Its adjustable for darkness,how long its light before it goes dark when you make the arc etc. New they run around $250-300 but compared to any other helmet I have had its a night and day difference. I bought mine used off ebay and it was about $85, a real bargain. I have the arc one as a spare and its been a good helmet as well.

#11 ·
I bought an Arc One helmet and I've been very pleased with it- lightweight, wide screen, roomy. Its a variable shade Auto-Darkening helmet and filter combination that works. This helmet I think, really has it all and seems way more reasonable than Miller in terms of features. Just my opinion. I picked mine up at http://nhproequip down in NH, nice warehouse in Bow, referred by a friend. The owner could probably give you some insight as well?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.